Brixton news, rumours and general chat - June 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 1, 2018.

1. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Maharani seems from talking to people at the Windrush community plant sale & bric a brac stalls there was a stabbing near the Afrocaribbean War Memorial about 3pm
    madolesance snap - I noted this too

and as if that wasn't enough there was this at 6.20 pm LONDON STABBING: Man knifed in Brixton - police seal off street. Lib Peck tweeted he best wishes on that one.

I knew someone who got fed up with Brixtonn after the second (1983) riot and moved to Guildford. Beginning to feel the same way frankly, though I think I would favour a more lonely yet etheral spot like Lindisfarne!

Gramsci, bimble and madolesance like this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

One bedroom flat for half a million in that ridiculous The Edge development.

2018-06-11_163749.jpg

Two bedroom flat can be yours for three quarters of a million with panoramic views of one of London's most deprived wards!

Gramsci likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Fecking hell that's mental, least you'll get a good view of the nuclear waste trains as they trundle past your window..

snowy_again, Gramsci and editor like this.
  5. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

No closer to the tracks than the backs of hundreds of terrace houses along the line.

Anyway, the nuclear waste trains are less fun than they were, since they started using more modern locomotives on them a few months back.

6. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

yep, I no longer get rocked to sleep any more

BusLanes likes this.
  7. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

They still fuck up my TV - especially BBC Pariament (232) and BBC News Channel (231). With your contacts maybe you can get Railtrack provide a communal aerial mast for us terraced house occupiers?

8. teuchter

An 'aerial' you say? Have you heard of this internet streaming thing that the young folk use?

friendofdorothy and BusLanes like this.
  9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I don't find that too reliable either, not having fibre. BBC iPLayer stuff gets "twitchy" if the data rate drops - and on my set anyway Youtube freezes altogether watching streaming content such as Gresham College lectures.

I'm wondering if there might be a Heath Robinson solution to Freeview though - such as sticking aluminium kitchen foil to the underfelt beneath the slates. This might attenuate the reflections coming from the trains.

If I was 30 years younger I'd have tried it already.

Gramsci and friendofdorothy like this.
  10. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Gramsci, hungry_squirrel, CH1 and 2 others like this.
  11. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Watching RT news ( Russia Today UK) discussion on how to deselect your Labour MP. An online guide on how to get rid of Anti Corbyn Blairites.:thumbs:

Watch here

Online guide to getting rid of your MP

Chuka comes to mind. If only.

RT news piece mentioned Lambeth as example of split in the party. Blairites/ centre ground who had lost some Cllrs to Greens. As Lambeth Labour party have made them selves unpopular over issues like estate "regeneration".

The political analyst RT talked to said his prediction is that end result is that Labour party will split.

There is no common ground between so called "centre ground" and new influx of Corbynite members.

I agree.

The centre ground always was pandering to sections of middle class imo.Right wing dressed up as progressive.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    editor, laughalot and Tricky Skills like this.
  12. Gramsci

I do find this offensive. A home marketed as " investment opportunity". Shows all that is wrong with developer scum.

13. Gramsci

"Help to Buy". Yet another misguided government scheme brought in by government to "help" people to get onto the so called housing ladder. In practice works to help developer scum make more profits.

editor likes this.
  14. Gramsci

Another thing I walk by this regularly. Its big development. My partner said it's for the rich. Heard this at work. Across London developments like this causing resentment. Not "for the likes of us" was one comment at work.

Yet a Labour Mayor Sadiq who at least us making right noises on housing for ALL Londoners is subject to two page tirade today by , in Evening Standard words , a "Tory property tycoon" . The Evening Standard the paper for property developer scumbags.

The average Londoner is totally pissed off with this. Yet Standard falls over itself to criticize Sadiq. Not developers.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  15. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Did you note that the developer (Richard Tice) was also identified as a Tory potential mayoral candidate?

His point was about double counting. I am sure that goes on in Lambeth Planning too. If they grant planning permission for Peabody to develop the Higgs Industrial Estate I bet Lambeth will claim that as an "outcome" despite having previously granted planning permission to the elusive and probably now bankrupt Parritt Leng (in 2014 or so). Remember Lambeth Planning (in common with all planning departments) have targets to achieve in approvals for new homes.

Tice is alleging something worse still - that once planning permission is granted "starts" are counted twice, or counted but don't happen. Which is might well have also happened under Boris. Except Boris is now off wreaking havoc in diplomatic circles so we can't ask him.

Mayoral candidate Tice meanwhile writes for "Conservative Home" and describes himself as a Brexiteer. Looks like the ideal candidate for a middle page spread for the Standard - especially if he is attacking Sadiq Khan.

Gramsci likes this.
  16. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

Oh, I hadn't ever realised that's why there was no longer the low rumbling and shaking of things, down Ruskin Park way

17. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

Thanks to Diamond Geezer for drawing our attention to the latest figures from tfl on passenger numbers at each tube station. And the big news for Brixton is that it’s entered the top ten most used stations that aren’t also a National Rail station. For those who are interested, the full figures are here.

editor likes this.
  18. teuchter

That wouldn't have anything to do with the nuclear waste trains, which are both infrequent and lightweight. If you've noticed less rumbling and shaking it's more likely down to a general downturn in freight in the past few years, notably cessation of services from Thamesport and perhaps also fewer Channel Tunnel trains which are more likely to pass during the night.

ChrisSouth likes this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

20. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Oval/Gasworks planning meeting tonight. Looks busy according to Twitter photos.

21. Mr Bim of Bar

Mr Bim of Bar Well-Known Member

Yeah I miss the Kaff, dont know what they did but atmosphere was always great and food was superb, especially the £14 platter..... ohhh and burlesque night was a scream.

editor likes this.
  22. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I have now been granted a free engineer visit by Freeview. Trouble is the engineer in question is SCCI. They get a bad rap on Youtube (though no doubt you will like the bagpipe music)

Gramsci likes this.
  23. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Yikes. I have the same thing happening next week. Was wondering if existing cables can be used instead of replacing.

Gramsci and CH1 like this.
  24. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Don't know where your aerial is - but that is likely to be the problem. That said the ever informative Jason Aerial who runs an installation firm in Sheffield generally moans about old inappropriate cable causing signal losses.

Maybe you might be OK with just changing the aerial itself.

In my own case I've change the aerial, but I have signal reflections from the trains every few minutes which causes variable problems according to station.

I actually asked them to recommend a suitable aerial for me to self-install, but it seems Freeview only offer call-outs from SCCI. No technical advice over the phone - other than "retune" and if that doesn't work, retune with no aerial to clear the stations and then retune with the aerial.

Frankly I'm more than pissed off to still be waiting. Especially as they did this technical change without any consideration for customers.

Gramsci and Angellic like this.
  25. Angellic

Mine is on the roof and I'm not good with heights.

CH1 likes this.
  26. teuchter

That kind of things seems standard for all kinds of installers, whacking holes in things and trailing cables and pipes all over the outside of buildings. They should all of them be subjected to some time in a small room with a bagpipe player.

CH1 likes this.
  27. Angellic

The initial installer did a good job and then again when I need to extend the run.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

29. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I don’t think I ever saw anyone in Montego Inn!

Waladli, Jangleballix and alcopop like this.
  30. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

no, me neither.