Brixton news, rumours and general chat - June 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Hip Hop Chip Shop seems to be able to attract international talent, I suspect dip & flip won’t.

2. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

had a discount voucher for there when it first opened, gotta say, the burgers were lovely!

£4 beers as a 'happy hour' is surely a joke though?

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They royally took the piss with the noise until they got told to sort it out. I used to be able to hear them half way down Coldharbour Lane!

Never quite worked out why it's so easy for these new 'restaurants' to seamlessly shift into full-on late bars/clubs. Rum Kitchen is essentially a club on the weekends, as is the Hip Hop Chip Shop.
    Mind you, given the amount of times I've seen incidents around the Rum Kitchen recently, I do wonder how long they'll be able to keep on with some of their nights.

4. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

The previous leaseholder to dip and flip had a late license and djs though did didn’t it so probably fairly straightforward in that case

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

God I miss Kaff. They were the only place that managed to make that space work and they did that by engaging the community and being affordable.

Every time I go past the gravy sloshers it looks depressingly empty and bereft of soul.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

7. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

I only ate in there once but was astonished at the price for such good food

hungry_squirrel and editor like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They used loads of local suppliers. The Caribbean cakes were made by an old lady across the road.

lefteri likes this.
  9. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

TBF it’s more or less what you’d expect most media doing a feature on Brixton to highlight. Plus it probably helps to preserve the character of the older venues. Imagine if the likes of the 414 were to become popular with the stag and hen do crowds as a result of a being featured in a few articles.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The 414 wouldn't let in stag or hen dos because they're not obsessed with making profit. Not sure how the article 'helps preserve' anything to be honest. It just makes Brixton more attractive to the boozey/foodie/cocktail/clubbing/hipster tourists and I think we've got enough of them already.

Gramsci likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Just checking my look in the Prince Albert's toilet mirror. Oh, wait...

2018-06-04_233847.jpg

:facepalm:

Gramsci and DietCokeGirl like this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Please get in touch if you know anything of his whereabouts. It must be awful for the family.

Edit: he's just been found safe

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  13. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Sandra Brobbey’s article does a reasonable job of covering all bases, I thought.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

16. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

17. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

When are people going to stop using the word 'vibrant'? It's becoming a bit clichéd thanks to overuse by estate agents and property developers and who have knocked the originality out of the area.

Gramsci likes this.
  18. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

19. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

This site originally was home to Black Cultural Archives.

When they left got change of use to A3. ( with opposition). From what I remember promised restaurant use.

The fish and chip shop was and is rubbish. To stop business failing went down the tried and tested central Brixton route of selling booze and becoming an "entertainment" premises.

This has appeared to be a success.

My problem is that this end result causes more problems for local residents. I , as ex central Brixton resident, can fully understand why Sleepless in Brixton get upset.

Office space changes to "restaurant" . Clients who run it can't make that work as there food is rubbish. Ends up as alcohol fueled entertainment place.

What's been happening to Brixton has been done with local residents having little say.

CH1 and editor like this.
  20. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Quite right. The archives were upstairs and there was a sort of African Caribbean art gallery/shop below.

I think up to about 1996 the site was owned by the council. The present situation is what you get when council property is sold off to private landlords who squeeze their tenants until their pips squeak (or their chips turn to pints).

21. komodo

komodo Well-Known Member

Get to the walled garden in Brockwell Park - at its peak right now I’d say.

22. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Much of Brockwell Park is presently a walled garden.

Khmer, Tricky Skills and Winot like this.
  23. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

I was in last week and thought how good it was looking

24. Gleena

Gleena Well-Known Member

Shooting on Somerleyton Road last night. I did hear it - set my dogs off barking, but I thought it was fireworks. Also flashing police lights through the back window for hours.

Nobody died, teenage boy critical.

Boy critical after triple London shooting

Gramsci likes this.
  25. luba

luba Well-Known Member

I heard it and thought it was fireworks as well.

Gramsci likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

27. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

What’s happened up on windrush square? Police tape and bizzies everywhere.

28. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

"Vibrant", "buzzing" and "foodie destination" in one short paragraph! :facepalm:

editor likes this.
  29. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

Same thing on Atlantic Road opposite Dog Star a couple of hours ago.

30. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Emergency medical helicopter in Solon Rd Estate, but pilots sitting on wall looking relaxed.

84F08FDD-A9E0-4F0B-ABC3-A31E4645A20B.jpeg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.