1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - July 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by CH1, Jul 1, 2017.

1. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

PV now goes by the name Jess.

2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I asked.

editor likes this.
  3. Gramsci

Yes she did. When the Council decided to try and evict her, once Brixton property prices went up, she won an "adverse possession" case. An ancient right to claim possession if owner had abandoned property for a long length of time and a person had been squatting it. She won. Council were furious. Squatting was not illegal then. The right to squat goes back hundreds of years. Law was changed in last years.

phillm and peterkro like this.
  4. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

And I answered that I hope this business makes their decision based on what's good for them and their business. I understand that the person in question is well able to do this without being influenced which is good. I have a feeling they might need to be so able.

Tell me, why are you and other posters so excercised about my original post on the matter?

5. Gramsci

I asked you what the "agendas" are. You still haven't answered. Not me who started this. Its you. You quoted post of mine.

editor likes this.
  6. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

Don't you think there may be some, whose agenda it would suit, to keep this business out of Squire and Partners?

7. Gramsci

Not an answer to my question.

editor likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This sounds exciting. Almost conspiratorial! What are these potentially, business-altering agendas at play here and what is the end game?

Oh, and I asked earlier: do you know the owner of the record shop or not? Or as a fellow "business owner" do you already have all the information you need to start warning her of potential nefarious agendas at play?

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I took a walk down Acre lane into the centre of Brixton on Saturday and was truly shocked at the Clapham-ness of the heaving crowds outside Barrio and the Blues Kitchen. It didn't look like Brixton at all.

Maharani likes this.
  10. northeast

northeast Member

Talking of Acre Lane Lexadon just logged an appeal after development of the old diamond hire/plumbers merchant got rejected, not sure how they think a building of that size is suitable.
    16/03327/FUL | Redevelopment of the site, involving demolition of the existing buildings and erection of a part 2, part 4, part 5 and part 6-storey building to provide 295sqm of office space (B1 Use Class), 269sqm of retail space (A1 Use Class), 19 self contained flats and 2 family houses, together with the provision of cycle and waste storage, including hard and soft landscaping to create communal amenity space. (Re-submission). (Reconsultation because of incorrect site address. Proposal has not changed). | 41 - 45 Acre Lane London SW2 5TN

Gramsci and editor like this.
  11. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

found the book :)
    IMG_5114.JPG

Gramsci likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. MissL

MissL Well-Known Member

I think South African no? Anyway I once smiled and said hello to PV/ Jess in the street and was quickly told to fuck off. :)

14. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

That's her freed true nature.....I'll take your word on the accent I'm not good with them.

15. David Clapson

What's happening up Brixton Hill/Rush Common way? Apparently there's police tape and one of those small blue police tents they use when someone's died.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's apparently great for corporate team building exercises but WTF is an escape room?

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Hope they catch this fucker

18. David Clapson

That may explain the tent and tape which I mentioned 3 posts up. It's next to a bench on Rush Common, opposite Brixton Hill Court. Police there are saying that nobody's died but they can't talk about it.

19. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I did an escape room in Milton Keynes a couple of months ago. Loved it. Like a budget crystal maze....

Manter likes this.
  20. phillm

Not Brixton I know but to make sure locals can see it and I have posted this on the Peckham thread ...

URGENT ACTION NEEDED BY SATURDAY 16th JULY

The Peckham Coal Line project needs your help to oppose a planning application that could affect it's viability.

The East Dulwich Forum

21. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

I refer you to your post on the March 16 thread: "The old Unison offices in Acre Lane now hosts a 'pop up room escape game' called, Enter the Oubliette. It's £30 per person for an hour of an escape game that "is perfect for groups of friends, corporate outings, team-building exercises."

It truly was pop up. I bought some vouchers for my missus for her birthday - but Oubliette had popped down before we got to use them.

I guess that "corporate team building exercises" are "..corporate outings, team-building exercises", but without any outings

FWIW they were very nice people when it came to getting the vouchers refunded

22. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

Oh dear. Police and air ambulance in max roach park. Also as the ambulance is parked up it doesn't look good.

23. phillm

Crikey they were set designers with Punchdrunk who did The Drowned Man in the old sorting office in Paddington which is the most epic piece of immersive theatre I ever expect to see in my life. So it would have probably been ace !:(

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's a bloody loud military helicopter flying overhead

25. David Clapson

It's a Chinook. Perhaps practicing approaches to Ruskin Park. They train to use various open spaces for emergency landing spots.

Edit: this sort of thing RAF Chinook lands in south London park

26. shifting gears

shifting gears Well-Known Member

Just been going right over my place and freaking the dog right out that has.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

28. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

29. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I'd be tempted to stay inside the room rather than end up in Milton Keynes.

ash, Angellic, T & P and 1 other person like this.
  30. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Same on Saturday. Came out of the place we were at and just wanted to come home. Too many drunken people that just weren't pleasant. First time in about 25 years I didn't feel safe there.