1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - July 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by CH1, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

If you read my notes on the Brixton Neighborhood Forum meeting the Market Traders rep makes comments on sanitising Brixton. Destroying it's character.

2. Gramsci

Btw did you notice Squires is trying to get the vinyl record shop in Reliance Arcade to move to "The Department Store"? I hope she doesn't. Squires are trying to get Street cred out of it.

editor likes this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've been talking to her for some time about this, and it's as transparent a piece of co-opting credibility as you can imagine.

I find it hard to believe that Squire & Partners are all mustard keen reggae fans - they just want her 'cool' shop in their shiny new multi-million, roof-terrace-adorned HQ because they think it will make them look good and they can score lots of community points in the bargain.

She wasn't too pleased when I told her than her shop's name had appeared in some of their promo publicity a while ago. I know money inevitably gets its own way, but they were getting a little ahead of themselves.

Gramsci likes this.
  4. Gramsci

Chucka is making case for trickle down effect. He wouldnt put it that way as it sounds Thatcherite.

I thought Id better get the view from Nigeria. Rather than my western privileged one:rolleyes:.

It appears discussion of neo liberalism does take place. Admittedly the writer was fortunate to be among the few to afford education.

Article points out that West uses neo liberalism to stop countries developing there own industry. He calls it a form of imperialism. Written last year.

Okonjo-Iweala and the end of Neoliberalism in Nigeria

5. Gramsci

6. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

I hope she does what's best for her and her business and doesn't get swayed by other people's agendas

T & P and Winot like this.
  7. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I tried to read this. She complains about Basel II banking regulations - which affect many countries especially Italy and Spain.

It is certainly true that both the EU and the USA practice dumping of agricultural produce. Tomato growing in northern Ghana is non-viable due to dumping, including cheap tinned goods.

Likewise milk production - Nestlé have managed to kill that off, though there are cultural issues too. Many African people cannot digest standard pasteurised milk as commonly used in the UK.

Sounds like the Nigerian finance ministry and central bank are following the same barmy low interest policy as here. The difference being that in Nigeria it forced the value of the Naira down from 180 to the pound to 400 to the pound - which is a hell of a depreciation.

It would not be surprising if local business and agriculture benefited from such a stimulus. Any economic effect has got to be down to currency adjustments, not just interest rates.

As for Odilim Enwegbara - the author, note she is not recognised to the point of having a Wikipedia entry. she seems to be a media economic pundit like Max Keiser of "The Keiser Report" on Russia Today.

Back in February Odilim Enwegbara was advocating immigration controls on foreigners coming into Nigeria (in West Africa there is an EU-like body called ECOWAS - there is complete freedom of movement within the block).

So my assessment of Odilim Enwegbara is she is a Kipper!

snowy_again likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

CH1 likes this.
  9. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

We went along on Saturday and although it was smaller and quieter, I thought the standard of the art was pretty high..

Manter likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Loved this tribute to a Brixton icon:

[​IMG]

ash and bimble like this.
  11. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Seems to be lots of this in Brixton currently. I was near the ritzy on Saturday where we saw two young very pissed lads pissing about on the bike racks...they jolted it so hard a lady's bike fell. That happened a second time at which point my blood was boiling.

12. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Heard also that Rodney P and maybe London Posse was playing in there last week or so and some drunken idiot spilt drink over their laptop so they couldn't do their set. Off topic of what you were saying but must've been annoying for the lads.

13. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

That person has written the most excellent self published book - highly recommended. :thumbs:

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Really? Link please!

15. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

I'll dig it out - its an actual paper book I bought from them a while ago, self stapled together & everything but really good.
    :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    editor likes this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

My CD decks have never been the same since I had a pissed shithead drop his pint all over them at the Railway.

After hearing from a few more pissed off locals, I suspect that the Hip Hop chip shop may have to reconsider it's 'play as loud as they like with the windows open' policy.

Maharani likes this.
  17. Gramsci

What agendas?

editor likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What a deeply insulting suggestion that she's so weak that she's going to be "swayed" by anyone to do anything other than what she wants.

Do you even know her? I count her as a friend and she's not a woman who's likely to by swayed by these mysterious 'agendas' from unknown sources that you've brought up.

What are these 'agendas', by the way? And who is bringing them up and why? Care to explain yourself?

Gramsci likes this.
  19. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

I made a point about what I hope this business owner does in this situation. As a business owner myself I feel qualified to make this point.

I'm not engaging with you though because it always ends with you throwing your toys out of the pram in a hissy fit and locking me out of the thread or banning me or some such other childish bollox.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What are these agendas at play that you feel may have the power to influence her? You brought this up and I'm not the first person to ask, so please explain yourself to them if you're unable to answer me directly. Thanks.
    What?

Gramsci likes this.
  21. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

www.percyvere.co.uk
    Not sure Brixton can exclusively claim PV as an icon: also iconic in Tulse Hill / Norwood

Jangleballix, bimble and editor like this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This handy map covers all the areas, I think:

[​IMG]

twistedAM and Gramsci like this.
  23. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

Can't work out whether this is genius or rubbish or a mixture of both. Certainly different and she ploughs her own furrow. :)

24. phillm

Aptly the Kingdom of the Mad seems to be unusually large...

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You can buy a used tea bag for £2 from the web site too ;)

bimble likes this.
  26. phillm

It's some weird shit to be sure - a great British eccentric - her accent is vaguely Aussie though.

editor likes this.
  27. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

I can't find their book! Have a vague feeling i might have leant it to someone. It was about finding your way to personal truthful expression of self , but not pretentious, had drawings in it and poetry.
    eta: Yes that's the one phillm :thumbs:

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I like the Beatles portrait on the bike seat.

29. Gramsci

I know who she is. She had a long term squat in Brixton. Back in the days when you could squat a house for years and be left alone by the Council. When Brixton was not the desirable area it is now.

editor likes this.
  30. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

Didn't she live there so long that she set a legal precedent and became the owner of the house? Possibly bollocks but I've been told that a few times.