Brixton news, rumours and general chat - January 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

60 grand a week in management costs is absurd. As you say, something stinks.

2. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well, the basic facts are there: Ashley Cuntyface has bought the land, the shops underneath are closing down and the Rooftop is definitely closing too.

I heard from one of the traders that Cuntyface will be opening a hefty Sports Direct store on Pope's Road with the land behind used for admin/storage but that doesn't seem the most lucrative use of such expensive land.

4. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I believe this is known as Hollywood accounting.

Alex

5. tripadvisah

tripadvisah Banned Banned

It *is* a bad article. a very bad article. It is poorly written reportage without any critical analsis just repeats comments from the public, some of which are pretty meaningless.

“did Will come here with his missus? I don’t think so. It’s like look at us, we’ve got a black person with us now.” no idea of what this point is supposed to be

“They’re trying to be cultural by coming down here.” eh?

“She’s hardly Serena Williams.” Don;t know where to start with this tbh

what does any of that mean? The more interesting comments were from people who weighed it up and thought why not. And they are long time brixton residents.

some good comments on gentrification, but only from one of the interviewees at the end – most certainly not from the journalist.

And if the royals had visited balham, everybody would have complaind they were sticking with the posh areas – ‘why don’t they come down Brixton – see what real life is like?’

missed opportunity really. If it had been a good article it might have talked about what the royals were hoping to achieve and how Reprazent are relevant to their interests.

That way we might have learnt something! as it is, the article tells us v little about anything.

Just cos they are royals doesn;t mean they are bad. yeah the monarchy isn’t a great thing but at least this lot are at least trying to do get involved after years of them being out of touch. Harry does those invictus games for rehabilitating peoples injured in the forces. Would the world be a better place without that? I don;t think so. At least he’s doing what he can. I met him on a train to nottingham a couple of months back. He was a decent guy and took time to chat

But lots of the comments here seem to just be saying what a bunch of self obsesses cunts they are. its OK to not care either way, but those criticizing the visit aren't actually saying why the visit is a bad thing. Was it a bad thing?

that kind of cynicism adds nothing to the argument. Lots of brixton residents seemed to enjoy the day and why not?

6. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

IMO it was a bad thing because I find this idea that we should all feel honored that a privileged couple graced our streets for 20mins offensive. The idea we should all fawn over them just by virtue of the family they were born into is offensive. There are people in our community doing real good work, or even just surviving in difficult circumstances, who deserve that respect and reverence, not those two. For the visit to be 'a good thing' they should have actually done something worthwhile - cooked at the soup kitchen, gone and given sleeping bags to the homeless, something productive and useful. Most of the media coverage doesn't even focus on the radio station, just a clothes brand.
    I bet they don't even cover their own policing and security costs.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  7. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Where do I start?

The NBC article is good. For a mainstream news outlet. It went outside Pop to talk to locals. You might not like what they say. But to label there comments as "meaningless" is just an insult.

The NBC article was balanced as it included others who supported the visit.

When you say "lots" of Brixton residents enjoyed it what percentage of Brixton residents do you think supported the visit?

The NBC article reflects the fact that not all Brixton residents were enthusiastic about it.

I think you should go back and read my posts on this issue. Where am I being cynical? Where do I say the Royal family are " self obsessed cunts"?

editor likes this.
  8. Gramsci

I did see this in Guardian yesterday. The Royals PR dept are really clever. Put a lot of thought into this. Got her to wear something tastefully British and middle class but not to showy. Just the right combination.

Meghan Markle chooses M&S for Brixton walkabout with Prince Harry

editor likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Are they really? Could you show me all these posts please?

Gramsci likes this.
  10. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Yes that was really clever! Especially given that yesterday M&S's results came out and they're doing very badly - interesting timing. I wonder what deal got done there?!

Gramsci, editor and ricbake like this.
  11. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I think it's actually because of this
    Marks & Spencer | Success stories | The Prince's Trust

billythefish and gaijingirl like this.
  12. tripadvisah

every single comment that suggests it is all about the royal pr machine winning. there are quit a few of them.

oh, and nobody has bothered to make clear exactly what it is they're winning.

13. tripadvisah

who said the idea is that we should all feel honoured and privileged? Who said 'we'should fawn over them?

we are all adults and should be able to think for ourselves. the vast majority of people who live in the area probably either couldn;t give a shit either way or didn;t even know it was happening. if thats how you feel about the visit you are creating that scenario in your own head - I certainly never felt that way.

AND, if they had cooked at the soup kitchen I suspect some people here would say 'they're just doing that for show - 30 minutes and then off they gp back to their palace - its just pr'.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Waladli likes this.
  14. tripadvisah

No, it really is a bad article for the reasons I oulitned in my post. poorly written and some of the comments against really are meaningless

I do not know and do not care how many residents supported it. but 'lots' did as I can see them in pictures (962?). but like i said above, it is a bell curve - there is likley a very small proportion of people highly supportive and a small proportion highlly in opposition. for the majority of local residents I suspect most of them couldn't care either way whether the royals visited.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nope. There has not been "lots" of posts suggesting that they are "self obsessed cunts," as you claimed. And that's why you're unable to show all these posts, when asked.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What do you think the purpose of their trip to Brixton was, if not PR?

17. tripadvisah

let me explain it to you. sometimes people say certain things meaning other things in order to get a point across. it's quite common.

so, no, nobody actually said they were 'self obsessed cunts'. but quite a few people are suggesting it is about nothing but pr for the royal family - hence them being self obsessd. it really IS quite simple.

18. tripadvisah

I suspect harry wanted to see what was going on in brixton having read about reprezent. it's just possible that he is interested in the community. lets face it, it must get quite boring sitting around in a palace all day eating caviar.

19. Shane Duncan

Shane Duncan New Member

Hey, Have you guy seen this short documentary about the gentrification in brixton?! -

Attached Files:

Gramsci likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Can you show me where has expressed any interest in the area before?

21. tripadvisah

do you mean the geographic area or the topic of community in general? cos he does a lot of that.

oh, and why is that relevant anyway?

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

People here are of the opinion that the whole exercise was a carefully selected and rather cynical PR stunt, right down to the M&S outfit worn by whatever her name is. You appear to have a contrary opinion, so I'm asking you what you're basing that on.

bimble, Gramsci and Pickman's model like this.
  23. Gramsci

Am I missing something? If you think most people don't care either way wtf are you posting up about this? I'm starting to lose my rag here. I don't know what you are going on about.

editor likes this.
  24. Gramsci

No it's not. I actually said that I had nothing against Harry personally. I find your posts trying to imply I'm just being offensive an insult.

I'm against the monarchy as an institution. Im not being personal.

I've also made clear my admiration of the Monarchy PR department for the great job they are doing.

I find the way you dismiss local residents who offer criticism of this visit as "meaningless" to them as showing a lack of understanding of where some Brixton residents are coming from.

If you think the monarchy is a good thing that should be kept what are your arguments?

To post criticism of posters like me and then come back and say it's a "Bell Curve" and most people arent bothered either way isn't good enough. You come on here and post up. What's your opinion?

25. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

She wore M&S? Coming round here, supporting British businesses! Entitled blueblood with her... really quite reasonably priced clothes.

Every poll puts those that want to disestablish the monarchy in a significant minority. You've got more chance of a Green party PM or a credible Lib Dem leader.

26. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Maybe someone realised that the visit was occurring just a few yards from the very first M&S shop?

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  27. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It looked as though she had never seen any 'black' people before. Surely she had seen some in the USA?

28. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

. (thought better of it)

bimble and SpamMisery like this.
  29. bimble

bimble noisy but small

ye i can't be arsed either.

mx wcfc likes this.
  30. Gramsci

What's your view of the monarchy?

Have you actually read the posts on this issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.