1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - January 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Are they in Brixton? I don't think they're an actual charity, are they?

2. catriona

catriona chickweed

Great news - It's crazy that there's been no postbox in the centre, Ferndale Rd post office now has none outside.

editor likes this.
  3. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

Yesterday all her social media accounts were closed. I suspect the timing was no coincidence. I think the point of the visit was to show Ms Markle that the royal meet 'n greet can replace her activism. She has no voice now, except to say 'and have you come far today?' to the dopes who wait for hours behind the barriers.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

there was a bit of a party there last year on this date i recall, wonder if it will occur again this evening?

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm not sure, I haven't seen anything on social media but I'll probably pop along anyway.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

DietCokeGirl likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Quite a few people hanging around the Bowie mural now.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's an entrepreneurial hippy type selling Bowie themed 'daydreamers' at the mural right now.

#enterprise

10. aka

aka Brixton Hill

exactly that - meg and hazzer are a couple just trying to make their way, given the rules etc.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Jeez.

Gramsci likes this.
  12. aka

aka Brixton Hill

incisive.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

OK, I'll expand. To hear you make out that they're some sort of ordinary couple "just trying to make their way" is vomit inducing. They are a wealthy, ridiculously privileged couple who have been afforded a world of opportunities that most people can only ever dream of. And the chummy "meg and hazzer" bit is even worse. They're not your mates in a pub.

And I'm not even slightly convinced that they have a deep passionate interest in Reprazent radio or Brixton. I suspect that the whole exercise was a carefully played bit of manipulative, image-enhancing PR fluff which seems to have suckered some people into believing that they give much of a fuck.

Is that better?

Metroman and Gramsci like this.
  14. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

200 or 300 people turned up to see them, but the papers declared Meghan Mania. What a load of toss. I suppose they're desperate for the circulation boost which they used to get from Diana. And they want to build Markle up into a hugely popular icon before they get another circulation boost by undermining her with some sort of manufactured scandal. Which will be followed by another fatuous non-story about the rebuilding of her credibility. How can journalists live with the shame of all their destructive, dishonest shite? They drag us out of Europe and drown us in mindless celeb pap. If they had any decency they'd just kill themselves.

Gramsci likes this.
  15. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I wasn't really commenting on the Royal Couple tbh. I mostly agree with what editor has said. However, I'm also pleased to see a local charity doing good work (as far as I can tell) get some recognition in the media.

catriona and editor like this.
  16. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

ash likes this.
  18. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

You want something more incisive? Here it is.

Your post gives the impression that you think they are just an ordinary couple. They aren't. Prince Harry is extremely wealthy. Due to his social position as a member of the royal family.

How does Prince Harry make his money?

Its an issue for me as I came from South west England. A lot of the Royals income comes from the semi feudal way things still work done there. The Duchy of Cornwall's vast tracts of farmland. Charles and Harry do alright on the backs of the labour of tenant farmers and agricultural workers. Why they can be so caring and interested in the less fortunate.

The Duchy of Cornwall goes back centuries. One our great traditions that makes this country what it is. Despite the best efforts of my forebears in Plymouth, see my previous post, who laid down there lives to try to get rid of these people.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Metroman and editor like this.
  19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I see you are all pining for the real thing - i.e. Charles and Diana visit Brixton Rec 7th July 1987. Both Charles & Diana have a go at Bowls on the indoor bowling green which used to be on the ground floor.

Charles also indulges in a spot of basketball (with the Brixton Topcats?).

Nice to see the royals endorsing municipal architecture and recreation facilites in their heyday before neo-privatisation!

20. Gramsci

I'm no supporter of the monarchy but I've got to give it to them how the "Firm" as the Duke of Edinburgh calls it survived Diana. That's all forgotten now. Whoever does PR for the Royal Firm should get a prize.

Now we have new People's Prince and his soon to be wife. It's staggering to me that the Royals get such an easy ride in this country.

21. ricbake

ricbake working out how

I walked around the block (Popes Rd - Brixton Station Rd) there appeared to be more Police and photographers / media people than members of the public.

Lib Peck looked like she was going to wet herself with the excitement...

What does this kind of bollocks cost us?

Tricky Skills, CH1 and Gramsci like this.
  22. ricbake

ricbake working out how

No 5 in line to the throne - how does that work?

upload_2018-1-10_22-52-3.png

23. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

They've had worse before. Look at George IV and Mrs Fitzherbert. He even paid the £500 debts of a priest who was in Fleet Street debtor prison so he could (illegally) marry Mrs Fitzherbert. The marriage was illegal because not officially signed off by George III - and it would not have been since Mrs Fitzherbet was a (twice widowed) Catholic.

Sorry to bore you with this irrelevant history, but just to show that even the most innocuous royals have skeletons in their cupboards.

By the way you'll never make me a Republican. One word sums it up - TRUMP.

24. Gramsci

A bit harsh. The Founding Fathers put in a lot of thought into the US democratic system. The President is not all powerful. They do have a federal system as well. Plus a Senate and Congress. The President has to persuade them to agree. It's no easy task. And was meant to be that way.

There is nothing to stop a "populist" in this country. Thatcher comes to mind. In fact the constitutional monarchy we have here I reckon means Prime Minister has more power than a US President.

25. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

I think they are based in your favourite place Pop. It says on their website that they are a not for profit.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Pop is a loss making disaster but I've got nothing against any of the businesses operating there. I've pledged the money to charities rather than non-profits though, but I'll take a closer look later. I might spread the £1.1k out amongst three or four music charities. It's not a fortune, but hopefully it'll make a difference.

If Reprazent hadn't just had the royal visit they would have been on top of my list, but given all the publicity they've just received, I'm guessing other charities might be more needy. I'll ask around....

Gramsci and Tricky Skills like this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

28. billythefish

billythefish toad licker

Bollocks. It was organized by Marks and Spencer to sell their knitwear. ;-)

Gramsci likes this.
  29. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I feel moved to respond. I can't see anything admirable in the United States constitution because:
    * It managed to entrench slavery in the southern states until a civil war was waged to sort it out.
    * It still enshrines the right to bear arms - meaning thousands of Americans die needlessly every year from malicious or accidental gun use (and probably suicide).
    * It may constrain the President in some ways - spending on healthcare for example - but it does not control declaring war and waging war, and many people i Vietnam and Laos found out, and also the whole Afghanistan/Iraq debacle.

I appreciate that many think Prince Harry is one of the undeserving rich, and that such entitlements should not be inherited.

Frankly I am more distressed by the likes of Richard Branson, or worse Brian Souter who owns Stagecoach and paid for a referendum in Scotland to keep Clause 28 in Scottish schools. There are many more reactionary capitalists around to get uptight about - though they don't visit Pop Brixton, obviously.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

In case anyone missed it: Pop Brixton has turned out to be an even bigger crock of shit than anyone could imagine.

Even a small child running a stall selling home made lemonade would have made a profit on the rent-free land, but this lot of hipster entrepreneurial chancers managed to plunge the venture into half a million pound's worth of debt, after awarding themselves £3.2m in 'management costs.'

Despite this, the council have now extended the lease for another two years.

Read the full horror here: Lambeth Council extends Pop Brixton lease for two years as business park fails to deliver any profit

And join in with the chat here: Pop Brixton (formerly Grow Brixton) Pope's Road development

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.