Brixton news, rumours and general chat - January 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

They will need to go a lot lower in price before most regular people can afford them.

Councils in the meantime could stop giving planning permission for more unwanted glittering metropolis towers for the world's super wealthy.

Of the hundreds of luxury towers planned and but not yet built, can't anything be done to turn them into social housing?

Gramsci and wurlycurly like this.
  3. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

To be honest if the council are taking section 106 payments from people who it looks like are going to go bust - happy fucking days.

Alex

4. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Aren't a lot of s. 106 payments sorted out after the event and in kind, e.g. buses laid on by Tesco? Not an expert so happy to be corrected.

5. friendofdorothy

In plain english please, what are section 106 payments?

6. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Payments to “ease” planning requirements.

7. friendofdorothy

in cash, in plain brown envelopes, perhaps?

8. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

Any ideas if these sort of things get published prior to or during planning?

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. northeast

Looked at the planning meeting notes, are the things below considered 106?

https://moderngov.lambeth.gov.uk/do...9.00 Planning Applications Committee.pdf?T=10

6.15.2 The following planning obligations are considered necessary to make the development acceptable in planning terms, are directly related to the development and are fairly and reasonably related in kind and in scale to the development. They are therefore compliant with the requirements of regulation 122 of the Community Infrastructure Levy Regulations 2010.

Housing: - 2 x affordable rent three bedroom houses and 3 shared ownership 2 bed flats; - A review mechanism to capture any additional affordable housing contributions.

Transport and Highways: - Free Car Club membership for a minimum period of 3 years from the date of first occupation of the residential units to all households of the residential buildings. Page 62 - No residential parking permits within the CPZ. - Contribution of £10,000 towards the provision of a Disabled Bay on Baytree Road. - Completion of Highway works; removing redundant crossover and reinstatement of footway.

Employment and Training: - Employment and Skills Plan - WorkSmart Plan - Local Labour in Construction (Formula for contribution is as follows: £2,500 per £1,000,000 Capital Construction costs). - Employment and Training Contributions

Other: Monitoring cost capped at 5% of the total value of the above financial obligations. 6.15.3 If the application is approved and the development is implemented, a liability to pay the Lambeth Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) will arise.

11. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Yes they are section 106 requirements. There's nothing underhand about them and they don't involve brown envelopes. They are negotiated as part of the planning permission and publicly recorded. There's also the CIL (community infrastructure levy) which is less site-specific and applied to most developments. It is supposed to raise funds for general infrastructure improvements.

12. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Brixon Windmill (Not the pub) is on Inside out this evening. (London only)

editor likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You have been warned

14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Didn't get as far as finding flat prices, but I see the management company of Southbank Tower has privacy concerns "This website is operated by South Bank Tower Limited, registered in The Isle of Man under company number 005133V. VAT No. GB 003 2879 95References to South Bank Tower, “we” “us” “our” and “ours” in this Privacy Notice mean South Bank Tower Limited." etc etc

Gramsci and peterkro like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

16. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Probably because our property developer scum have built student accommodation around the corner from Sainsburys. I've been cycling by it as it's built.

A lot of mainland Chinese here are students. Usually from the Chinese elite. So can afford rip off London. Or in a the case of our property types a market to be explotiated. Sometimes I m ashamed of this country. Ive had friends from China studying here. Property developers arent clever. They are vermin. Ripping off foreign students is latest property developer vermin wheeze.

The great thing about student accommodation is that it's classified like hotels. You can build high density with little natural light.

Property developer scum have realised in London you can make a lot of money out of foriegn students.

Tropi and editor like this.
  17. Gramsci

In plain English.

Property developers build flats in London. They are capitalist concerns who want to maximize there profit. Understandably as this is what capitalism is about.

This, however, means that the infrastructure of society, that is needed to keep it going, is irrelevant to maximising profit.

So Section 106 agreements now to be replaced by Community Infrastructure Levy ( CIL) is interfering in the "free market" to make sure developments include elements that make the city work. I think they are good idea and need to be strengthened. Viability assessments are intentionally weakening them.

Inherently Section 106 and now CIL agreements in granting planning permission show the deficiency of pure free market in producing social outcomes that benefit society across the board. That is the state needs to interfere in the market. Capitalism left to itself will produce very unequal outcomes.

Which is why I think so called "viability assessments" are a retrograde step.

I can understand you wanting plain English. Planning is about power. It's contested area. But the language used is like legal language. It's not plain English.

Plain English translation of "viability assessments" is fuck affordable housing I've got these super rich investors who will snap up anything I build. Stuff those who work in low paid jobs like the care sector, cleaning etc. They should try harder.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Tropi, northeast and editor like this.
  18. northeast

Nice, love some of the views around Brixton looking at London.(while we still have them) Anyone know easy accessible spots with a clear view? There is great spot in some little park in peckam direction but it's too far away.

editor likes this.
  19. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

Editors flat?

Angellic likes this.
  20. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

The view from Brockwell Park is not bad towards the city on a clear day.
    Otherwise go to the Tate modern and the viewing area in the Blavatnik Building and get one of the best free views of London.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's not much green space left but ....

22. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

More mattress / slogan things:

Gramsci, bimble and editor like this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Interested that it's tweeted by a plastic surgeon.

*fears it could be an extra cunning, extra sneaky promotional technique!

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

New figures show that in Lambeth and Southwark, around 35% of children are growing up beneath the breadline.

With all these fucking luxury flats, trendy shops, cocktail bars, pricey supper clubs and champagne outlets happening around here that makes me kind of angry.

Gramsci likes this.
  26. nemoanonemo

nemoanonemo Active Member

Is it Ruskin Park you were thinking of? One compensation for losing the Ash trees at the bottom of the park is that the London skyline is now exposed. At night the red warning lights on all the tall buildings is quite striking - and can be seen from the road.

Attached Files:

editor likes this.
  27. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Maybe not all the same person......the signatures look different.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  28. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

If everyone in Brixton had been made aware of the crime(s) committed by Gary Kerby (above) before he was unleashed on the streets of Brixton, I suspect that he might have been less inclined to commit yet another one.

Unless, of course, there is some reason why we should not be made aware of publicly available information about Gary Kerby and others like him.

29. Gramsci

I've been looking up latest figures. From the interactive map which looks at MPs constituency boundaries:

Vauxhall 37.1% children in poverty
    Streatham 32.1%
    Dulwich & West Norwood 30.1%

Pretty staggering figures. At least a third of London children in Lambeth are growing up in poverty.

Poverty in your area 2018 | Improving the lives of children and families

editor likes this.
  30. Gramsci

I agree with bimble on this. Can you stop posting up like this.

editor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.