Brixton news, rumours and general chat - February 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Following on from the January thread, welcome to the thread for the shortest month of the year.
    I'd like some now please.

FUN FEB FACTS!

2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

An update on the market trader.

After 60 years, Brixton family market traders forced out by Network Rail’s rent increases

I was there recently. He told me that the publicity and Cllr Rachel support( who he praised highly) has meant that Network Rail had a change of heart and are now negotiating. It's not certain yet what the outcome will be but he's much more optimistic.

I reckon NR don't like any more bad publicity.

It reminds me Cllr Rachel wasn't picked by Labour to be a candidate at next elections. She will be sorely missed.

friendofdorothy and blameless77 like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I had a long chat with the guy on the stall a couple of days ago and he said that Rachel had been brilliant. And, yes, hopefully they may stay after all.

Gramsci likes this.
  4. Tolpuddle

Tolpuddle Cooperative council-my arse.

I have, in the past found her difficult to deal with, but with this & the library she has shown what a local councillor should be doing and I respect for her greatly for having, and sticking with principals. The other policy following non-thinking arseholes should take note.

5. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

When I lived in her ward I found Rachel great to deal with. We had some anti social and rubbish problems that the council weren't dealing with and once she stepped in all got escalated and resolved. She didn't shy away from dealing with residents issues.

Winot, editor and Gramsci like this.
  6. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

The ‘new’ postbox on the corner of Brighton Terrace and Brixton Rd is closed :mad:

7. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Awaiting "maintenance" to give it a lick of paint, surely?

8. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Presumably. I blame you for raising false hopes last month.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Not happy. Got a TFL email this morning saying no step free access at the Brixton underground till Sept. They are replacing the lifts.
    I won't be using it then. I have a phobia of down escalators. :mad::mad::mad::(:(:(

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Could you send me that so I can post up on Buzz and warn others? I couldn't find anything online.

Those lifts can't even be that old :/

12. xsunnysuex

editor Certainly. Where should I send it? I can Fwd the email. Or copy and paste it to you?

editor likes this.
  13. xsunnysuex

It's a total pain in the arse. A couple of years ago I fell down the escalators. Really injured myself. So I absolutely can't go down them now. :(

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

urban75 aaaaaaat gmail.com. Thanks!

15. xsunnysuex

Sent. Can you let me know you have it. x

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Got it! I'll post something up on Buzz shortly. Thanks!

xsunnysuex likes this.
  17. xsunnysuex

Welcome x

18. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

BurstWM.JPG

Burst water main on Water Lane looking up from junction with Dalberg/Dulwich Rds ...

friendofdorothy, Gramsci and editor like this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Blimey. That's a lorra water!

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

Surfsup.JPG
    Plucky local takes advantage ...

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's deeper than they thought

[​IMG]

friendofdorothy likes this.
  23. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

Sympathies to the local residents involved in this. They are advised to contact:

steve.robertson@thameswater.co.uk

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The godawful The Edge development seems to be taking its time to be kitted out for the next batch of well heeled incomers.

2018-02-01_144941.jpg

Gramsci likes this.
  25. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

Odd they have not started work on the lower floors....normally they are pretty slick at working on lower floors before even reach the top.

26. kikiscrumbles

kikiscrumbles Well-Known Member

Hello all... just wanted to let anyone interested know that the Brixton Job Centre is going to close in the next few months. I was really startled to hear this at my last appointment. Apparently the property has been 'bought out' and services are going to move to Kennington / Croyden / Peckham / lord knows where else. My [quite kind] advisor was more shocked than I, and totally agreed that this is a piece of nonsense, as Brixton town centre is the source of most of their 'clients' - and that the enormously expensive refurbishment of the Town Hall allowed no provision for the accommodation of its intended services. I'm aghast - whenever I am there, I see harried and stressed people, often old and on canes, or evident health / mental health problems; younger women with small kids etc - I wonder how long it will take them to get to a far-off sign-on, how much it will cost them, how many minutes late they might be on the bus to be sanctioned etc. It's [to me] another example of provision for the poorest being abandoned for cash, and clearing out evidence of poverty in Brixton. Ach!

Gramsci and snowy_again like this.
  27. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Bloody hell that is awful kikiscrumbles .
    It says in here that it's going to be "merged with" Kennington Park, Stockwell and Streatham jobcentres before June.
    :(

kikiscrumbles likes this.
  28. kikiscrumbles

kikiscrumbles Well-Known Member

Thank you Bimble. My advisor really couldn't specify where we are going to be sent [she mentioned Croyden etc] - and she works there, so no info! Ay ay ay... I think it's going to be tough for many people in my situation, with a 5 minute sanction window.

bimble likes this.
  29. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Not a good situation. I do feel for you. The same thing is happening with hospitals in West London. Although they may be creating great new hospitals, they are miles and miles away and the same transport problems apply for people who are ill, have no cash and who need to attend punctually and regularly.

kikiscrumbles likes this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.