1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - December 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Dec 1, 2017.

1. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

See the A in ELECTRIC AVENUE is all ready on the blink - while all the other letters change through the rainbow it refuses to go green, red or pink.

Gramsci likes this.
  2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Going to have to disagree with you.

Having read the police report on Domino club I agreed there was issue with it. Which was gang related take over of the club. The many instances of complaints were made to local police included by people who had been harassed and robbed in the club. Plus one instance when actual staff had called police. My point being that public had made complaints.

In Council report on Loco this is not the case. No members of public had complained.

My reading of report on Loco is Council / police dislike of single cans of strong later being sold. I notice that this was not disallowed by the licence granted to Loco. Just that they had not gone along with Council policy of encouraging off licence to not sell single cans.

My other issue is related to central Brixton. Sleepless in Brixton have complained that Council is not ensuring that bars/ restaurants keep to there planning and licensing agreements. As someone who used to live in central Brixton I sympathize. Yet Council officer time is spent on cracking down on a local shop in Loughborough Junction about which no one is complaining. Surely valuable Council officer time should be spent visiting premises in central Brixton going over them with over every issue? Why is it a local shop in Loughborough Junction needs all this time spent on it to basically stop the street drinker when Sleepless in Brixton can't get Council to do anything about central Brixton?

Big issue for me would be sale of alcohol to underage. Yet report on Loco never criticises Loco on this. I've seen myself Loco staff refuse alcohol sales to those looking underage who can't prove age.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    editor likes this.
  3. Gramsci

There is same problem with the lighting installation on the Brixton Rec. This was done several years ago. Lights were supposed to change. Gradually over the years it's stopped working. No one knows how to fix it. It's stuck on one colour.

Lighting design/ installations as part of public space can be good idea. And look good. But without commitment to long term maintenance and upkeep it fails. Imo it's counterproductive. What is heralded as improvement becomes a failure.

Another example is the lighting on Windrush Square. Anyone remember that? Looked good but no longer working.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    editor likes this.
  4. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

New (arsey) bouncers, proper searches and being ordered to stand in front of a machine to have your picture taken at the POW is rank. Its a pub on a Thursday night, not a fucking border crossing :facepalm:

Gramsci, editor and Eggby like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It really fucking sucks.

7. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Are these digital photos stored on an information system?
    I suppose an entrepreneurial cynic might use such a system to bar people who don't buy enough rounds!

But to come back to the point - if they are storing customer's facial IDs is this licensed by the Office of Data Protection?

friendofdorothy likes this.
  8. Gleena

Gleena Active Member

And is their privacy notice clearly posted? Does it state why they are collecting the data, how it will be held and for how long? Has anyone tried to exercise their right to be forgotten (so is there some way to contact the security company and ask that their personal data be removed?)

I'd truly be interested in if they are currently or will be GDPR compliant by the May 25th cut off date.

Are they just taking the picture or are they pairing it with a name or other personal data?

Gramsci, friendofdorothy and alex_ like this.
  9. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Why are they taking the photo in the first place?

Gramsci and friendofdorothy like this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've run a few features on this is the past and it's still as cloudy as ever. Could you explain the GDPR thing a bit more?

Club photo ID scanners, your information and the law – update

No ID, No Entry. Brixton clubs demanding Photo ID and ID scans as a condition of entry

Angellic likes this.
  11. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

It seems we may have some way to go before we get to Australian standards of drinker protection/monitoring.

This article details how various precincts of Queensland work together using police and pub data to enforce bans on customers in all co-operating districts.
    Liquor laws: What you can expect from mandatory ID scanners in pubs

I suppose Australians have a bit off a reputation for unruly drinking - but actually in Brixton its the unruliness outside which pisses many people off.

The ultimate Hi-Tec remedy - Electrified pavements - electrocution for urinators!

12. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The second article asks if other venues are using ID.

As a matter of fact the Beehive do - I suppose only normally on Friday and Saturday when they have security on the door.

Checking seems to be targeted at groups of young people ("under 25").
    The door staff will also keep out beggars and hustlers, whether under 25 or over 75 (as some of them are!). No ID required to be barred.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Do they make Photo ID a condition of entry for everyone? I'm assuming they;re not scanning then in?

14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The do not scan anybody in - they ask those who they want to ask to produce the required ID card or whatever and the security guys checks it. No record is kept.

Just to be clear - they would never ask regulars. Mainly its groups from the Rec or the Academy I suppose.

Gramsci, friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Now this is good news. Proper comfy seating back at the Albert.

[​IMG]

r0bb0, CH1 and friendofdorothy like this.
  16. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Basically if you are processing “personal information” ( which is basically doing anything with any data which could identify you, in a computer) you have to be up front as to the how and why, and “data subjects” (you and me) have rights. Consent cannot be a pre ticked box and you cannot make consent conditional on delivery of a service unless what you are processing is relevant.

On may 26th next year it might be interesting to send a subject access request to all these guys asking for a copy of all the data they hold on you.

If they don’t reply within 30 days you report them to the ico, who will enforce your rights.

To be honest you could probably use gdpr to force these guys to run up sufficient legal bills they decide not to bother.

Alex

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I agree with all of that, but in the real world, as soon as you start making any kind of scene at the door about data protection, you'll be left in the street while your chums party inside.

Gramsci and friendofdorothy like this.
  18. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Totally agree, You wouldn’t do it at the door, you’d send a letter to their registered address.

If this was required by their license they’d be aok, but I think doing this voluntarily they are on dodgy ground.

Alex

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I know several clubs do it because they've been compelled to do so, but at least one venue I know is doing it off their own bat.

20. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Gdpr is going to be a great tool for being very, very annoying.

And you are going to be able to tie people who don’t have their shit together in highly incriminating, very expensive knots.

Alex

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Would you be able/willing to put together a short guide on how people might be able to use this? I want to update the guide on Buzz and the fewer people that have to put with this scanning shit the better.

22. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

It's obviously gone Tory. :)

friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  23. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

And I'm refusing to take my full british passport out for a late night pint in the independant fucking republic of brixton.

I think these ID scans are effectively excluding older drinkers from Brixton venues while younger drinkers are allowed to party uncontrolled, messily and noisily on the streets with no controls at all. I said as much to Helen Hayes MP and my local councillors recently before they considered the Lambeth Local Plan.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Gramsci and editor like this.
  24. Gramsci

I remember when CCTV was first brought into Brixton. I did raise civil liberty issues at consultation meetings. Was ensured by Council that it was purely for public safety. Several years down the line and Council started to use it to hand out parking tickets etc.

All recording of information/ filming of one going about one's own business is liable for "mission creep".

Another issue I have is that it shouldn't be up to member of public to complain.

25. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I hope the venues restrict the release of info to the police for serious incidents only (thefts, assaults etc). In the old days if one got caught with drugs at a bar or club you could usually expect nothing more severe than having the gear taken away and/or being ejected. It'd be bad news indeed if punters caught with gear were to be identified and grassed to the old bill.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

friendofdorothy, Gramsci and alex_ like this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Putting the comfy seats/chairs back into the Albert makes a HUGE difference. Now people can sit around and talk to their friends like a normal pub. :thumbs:

friendofdorothy and madolesance like this.
  29. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Does that mean they replied but with something that was not clear?

I'm going to try and remember to have a look at what it actually says, next time I go past. The question is whether they are allowed to completely use the width of the pavement as they are currently doing, or whether their license is only for the bit at the front.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Drink MORE!