1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - December 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Dec 1, 2017.

1. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

TBF, compared to some of the heavily-hopped pales around nowadays, it's only moderately bitter. IIRC it's about 35 "bitterness units" according to Roger Protz, whereas some IPAs are in the upper 40s.

2. ViolentPanda

Youngs at Wandsworth used only water from their own artesian well - that was one of the reasons they couldn't expand capacity - whereas the Charles Wells site in Bedford uses filtered mains water, with additives to give it the same minerals and trace elements as the water from the Youngs well.

Lots of old-timers around Wandsworth borough went off Youngs when they changed breweries, because the beer "tasted different", and these were often people who didn't know about the Ram brewery closing.

3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

4. Gramsci

What really winds me up, as ex resident of central Brixton, is that when residents try to put complaints through the proper channels they find they don't work. It's Kafkaesque situation where if one is a reasonable person and tries to do things with though proper channels your ignored.

I ,as ex central Brixton resident, might think this is deliberate.

The New Labour Council finds all these " entrepreneurial" entertainment businesses sexy.

Reminds me of when I first joined Urban when opposing Dogstar Larry , loved by New Labour, and his push to get entertainment empire in central Brixton.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    friendofdorothy and Casaubon like this.
  5. Gramsci

And another thing. In Sleepless in Brixton notes implication that the Council are treating some places differently from others.

On provision of toilets. Brixton Village, Market Row and Pop aren't obliged to supply the same amount of toilets ( at no charge) than Brixton Academy. Despite user use being comparable.

Same for need for noise limitation.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  6. Gramsci

I've finished the questionnaires on the Local Plan consultation. Still one day to go if you want to do them.

Worth it as some are about giving property developers easier time. Mainly about protecting industrial space, business space, not allowing watering down of outside space on new housing and allowing less space requirements.

Housing for Older people is interesting one. I opposed most measures. As seemed to me about allowing property developers to maximize profits.

Lambeth Local Plan Review 2017 | Lambeth Council

friendofdorothy likes this.
  7. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

This basically means they weren’t very good at the water additives bit, or the guys in Bedford decided to “improve” it because they “knew best”.

Read about burtonisation, to understand this - basically breweries all around the world add stuff to their water so the water is the same or more like that in burton upon Trent

Which is a bit nuts really.

Alex

8. ViolentPanda

I know about Burtonisation from my youth. My dad was a keen home-brewer who was always experimenting to find the perfect pint. :D

alex_ likes this.
  9. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

These days you can pay someone to test your water and what you need to add to make it perfect, but where is the fun in that !

Alex

10. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

As the chap teaching the London Beer Lab brewing course said: there is lengthy book called Water, widely considered to be the industry authority, which you can read... if you want to suck all the joy out of brewing.

alex_ and ViolentPanda like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

gaijingirl likes this.
  12. Brix69

Brix69 Well-Known Member

Completed, although there doesn't seem much to guarantee that people filling in the forms are actually from Lambeth or are only filling in one form.

Gramsci likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm noticing that perhaps the convenience of Doodle isn't so great when there's hefty queues stretching out into the street.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This may be of interest if anyone was going

15. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

They seem to be falling behind - and not always down to the council.
    In the recent Loco (Loughborough Junction) case the licensee unfortunately had to be in Manchester for a funeral.
    The police and council had been putting the pressure on for several years - I never knew!
    The joy of reading council minutes! Agenda for Licensing Sub-Committee on Tuesday 12 December 2017, 7.00 pm | Lambeth Council

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

17. Gramsci

Really LJ chat. I use Loco for my cheap Polish lagers and the paypoint.

Personally I like the place. I enjoy my chats with the Polish manageress mentioned. It always comes across to me as safe place to shop. They have regular customers. And not just for alcohol. They treat there regular customers well. It's a friendly shop.

What I do find aggravating is that Council come down heavy on shop / off licence like this. In reports emphasis on selling "strong" lagers in single cans..

Amusing quote from Council officer about seeing "steady sale of cans to male customers". That would be me then.:).

I can't help but feel there is class issue here. The people I chat to in shop either work in arches, from the estate or are working class Poles who drop in for example.

It appears "street drinking" is big problem in LJ. According to Council officers. Not that I've seen.

Drinking and associated ASB under Council definition is big issue now in central Brixton. But that is different class of person. From what I saw couple of Saturday ago when I got off Brixton tube. Drinking and dancing in the street.

Another reason Council give to crack down on sales of beers in LJ is that a "Recovery centre" is now situated in LJ. So the argument goes LJ should get harder time if it.

It looks like they are going to get them on "illegal working". That is people who don't have right to be here. Like I care about that.

That and there paperwork isn't up to date.

Personally I think for me Loco is well run. I've used it day and at night. I wouldn't use it if I didn't feel safe there.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  18. Gramsci

Having read several of the reports it's immigration issue comes up. In the USA some cities have policy that in there boundaries police and local officials can't ask people there immigration status if they are investigating entirely different issue. Such as traffic violation. Here in this country it's getting normal practice,it appears from this license review, to straight off ask about someone's immigration status.

It's Mays "hostile environment" in practice. I really dislike it.

bimble likes this.
  19. Gramsci

20. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I agree with you that there does not seem to be huge evidence of problem drinking in Loughborough Junction.

Regarding the council minutes the thing that came over strongest to me is the inability of the council to find the shop consistently staffed by a supervisor/manager directly responsible to the licensee and thereby the council as licensing authority.

Same issue at the Domino Club - which had extensive minutes from another meeting - where the councillors then adjourned to make their decision privately. I wonder if the Domino Club license decision is now published?

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've got a lovely little kitten in Loco! I can't say I've ever found the place anything but welcoming and I use it at least once a week.

Gramsci likes this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I know it takes all sorts to make the world go around, it must be a particularly small niche who get "pumped up" by brownies.

:D

23. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Depends what’s in them I suppose...

24. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

'Pumped' rather than 'pumped up'. I'm still none the wiser.

editor likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

Maharani likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I like Morleys' Christmas window this year.

2017-12-07_162610.jpg

27. Being on a sugar-free diet at the moment they actually look pretty exciting to me...

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Tasty-looking, yes. But are you feeling "pumped" though? That is the question!

29. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Isn’t it a joke? they have chocolate from pump st in them

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Maybe I missed that.
    On another note, it doesn't half seem strange having a DJ plying his trade by the entrance to Morleys.

That must be a tough and unrewarding gig. They sometimes have a DJ in the Oxford Street Topshop and I've always thought it must be crap just playing music to people walking by.