1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - December 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Dec 1, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. Tolpuddle

Tolpuddle Cooperative council-my arse.

Ho fucking ho.

3. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

Bah, humbug.

organicpanda and friendofdorothy like this.
  4. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

It's cold.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

For years I've paid my Lambeth Council tax using a convenient bookmark on my Opera browser. Today it gives a "404" message (nothing found), as does typing in www.lambeth.gov.uk

The trendy new "Vivaldi" browser however works fine.

Hopefully when Lambeth declare they "no longer support legacy software such as Windows XP" the Nu Town Hall will be available to receive payment in person?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    friendofdorothy likes this.
  6. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

Casaubon and T & P like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

9. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

In the November thread, violentpanda said that Young’s wasn’t as good as it used to be.

Have you tried it in the last 6 months, cos for the last 6 or 7 years I’d written it off. But in the last 6 months Young’s special has been great the couple of times I’d had it.

Alex

10. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

TBF, I was talking about Ordinary. I only ever drink Special half and half with a bottle of Ramrod. :)

11. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Ordinary seems a bit watery, the last couple of times I've had it. Haven't had special for a while. Maybe I'm just used to all these new heavily hopped ales.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's quite a nice festive spirit by the tree in Tunstall (ahem) "Square" right now. Lights go on at 7pm.

If you're passing by, give some support to the Ritzy campaigners who have been braving the cold since 5.30pm...

Gramsci likes this.
  13. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Special tasted like a nice modern pale ale, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Will try the ordinary.

Alex

14. technical

technical stripey

I had a pint of special in the woolpack on Bermondsey st the other day and it was v nice. Was also a bit surprised as used to taste too bitter for me

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

16. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Ha, that’s exactly where I had it !

technical likes this.
  17. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

If you are referring to "Youngs" special, remember that Youngs Brewery was acquired by Charles Wells of Bedford, who have now been acquired by Marstons of Wolverhampton.

What I'm saying is your special could have come from a number of places in Marstons portfolio of breweries countrywide - but sure as hell it didn't come from the Ram Brewery Wandsworth wich is now a microbrewery attached to a luxury housing development.

18. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Nice photos. Good turnout this year and "authentic" as opposed to the Getty images pictures of Battersea Power Station switch-on which looked like David Lynch's vision of Christmas in a constructionist hell - an ample Christmas tree dwarfed by partially completed luxury "quarter" surrounded by cranes.
    I didn't go to either unfortunately.
    883448020.jpg

Gramsci and editor like this.
  19. catriona

catriona chickweed

20. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

21. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's something you don't see very often (is this legal?)

_DSC3413.JPG

23. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Red hanky for safety at the rear so seems legit :thumbs:

24. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Yes, the “terroir” has changed.

Not totally sure why this is relevant.

Alex

25. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

26. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Just a reminder that the Lambeth Local Plan is up for review and you only have til Monday to have your say. This is a link to the Sleepless Brixtons advice if you want to sound off about noise and nuisance in Central Brixton:

Notes for people on Local Plan

Whatever you want to say to Lambeth - there are some some useful links:

Gramsci and editor like this.
  27. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

28. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I know there's another thread about this but actually looking at the article makes you realise that Vicky Park is so much more suited to holding big festivals than Brockwell. It has these huge sections of flat park that Brockwell doesn't. This years pvt events have all been congested around the Herne Hill side.

29. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I did the questionnaire on the Local Plan. Saying no to more nightclubs. (See posts on November thread).

Read the Sleepless in Brixton notes. All sounds reasonable to me.

Sleepless in Brixton are trying to reverse Council (unofficial) policy of making Brixton an entertainment zone. This has been going on for years. Since Brixton Challenge. And still is. See planning application for the space above Argos. Officers all to happy to see this as another bar/ restaurant.

What is annoying is that a lot of what Sleepless in Brixton are going on about is down to Council management. Toilet provision, street cleaning, noise abatement team, making sure planning and licensing agreements are kept to. On all of these the Council has failed residents.

It was Council who encouraged entertainment economy. Yet over the years they have run down the services that manage it so that Brixton can stay a mixed use area.

I notice from the notes no mention of Brixton BID. Ideas put forward for new forum to consult people. So Brixton BID hasn't really been much use.

editor and friendofdorothy like this.
  30. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Anyone been to Soul Proprietors , the new record shop on Elm Park Road. Wow it's really got something for everyone. Great selection. Rare ones are expensive but there still plenty of good deals. It was actually busy ! more people than Pure Vinyl in the centre of Brixton.