Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Autumn - Winter 2018-19

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

..... and death in some cultures!

2. editor

editor Forked with electrons

I feel sorry for anyone living in the strip of low rise houses/shops on Coldharbour Lane. This yuppie edifice must incompletely block out all of their sunlight. Even one of the useless, spineless councillors at the planning meeting said that the development was 'out of scale' for the area - as the rubber stamp was applied.

CH1 likes this.
  3. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

4. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Did you go? I did but was a bit handicapped by the acoustic. Even though they were apparently recording the event to put up on the internet somewhere, the conversation was conducted at an intimate sound level which didn't suit my deaf right ear. [no PA mike]

I gather the New Economic Foundation (representative on the right) are committed to campaigning for a 21 hour week.
    An audience member from Wheels for Wellbeing - a charity based in the 336 Brixton Road building which also house the Block 336 gallery - asked about Universal Basic Income. As far as I could gather - given I couldn't hear more than 1 in 3 words - the NEF think that shortening the working week is more generally accepted by people and governments than Universal Basic Income which distributes resources to people whether they work or not.

If I heard right then NEF are in favour of the Work Ethic Lite, or at least think this is a more realistic reform than the Basic Income which has been tried and then questioned both in Finland and Canada. We are awaiting a further trial in Scotland.

The lady on the left is the person who work was on display in the gallery.
    There was a Finnish cultural attache in attendance, which may be a first for a gallery in Brixton.

kikiscrumbles there were drinks available -including two types of Brixton Brewery cans: Reliance Pale Ale and Low Voltage Session IPA.

Drinks were indeed complimentary for which I was grateful - now doubt may be my last drink courtesy of a friendly EU power!

5. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Yes. I noticed this too. And many were almost naked. One had a donkey in their living room. Another was wrestling their Python. It's as if they think the dim lighting prevents folk from looking in. Strange place.

billythefish and ash like this.
  6. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

Is that a euphemism or did they actually have a python?

7. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I shall leave that up to each reader to decide for themselves.

Tricky Skills likes this.
  8. editor

9. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Their booker seems to know what they're doing but i was under the impression that you and G didn't like them as it's not their main purpose of selling F&C. Expanding too apparently.

10. editor

Then you were wrong. I had a chat with the owner a while ago and posted about it here. They rubbed me up the wrong way a bit when they opened for various reasons but as ABC said, that was then and this is now.

ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  11. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

Glad to hear that because I really like the place and you're right, they get ridiculously good acts on.

editor likes this.
  12. ShiftyBagLady

Actually, I have to say, I was not very keen on Chip Shop when it opened because I didn't like the branding or something (and I'm an Original NIMBY). But I can admit when I'm wrong :cool: The owner is actually nice, does a lot to promote artists and is rated by people in the scene. The nights are amazing and now I like it. Two of the best nights out I had last year were in there.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    editor likes this.
  13. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Is it still operated by the estate agent people?

14. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Your confirming my point in this post.

Rather than comment on the content of my post you have a go at me personally.

15. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Friday morning food shop and once again my go to place for vegetables is MIA.
    This is the stall just up from Electric Lane towards the main drag
    Now it has been a while, thought he might be ill or on extended holiday
    so I asked the gent on the fruit stall next door if all is ok
    ( he is the one who was featured in Brixton Buzz piece regarding Network Rails attempts to remove him and his old mum from their warehouse) well it appears that this attempt failed but the vegetable man was not so fortunate and has been forced into retirement and ceased trading so anther gift to the community from the vile money grabbing Network Rail, wonder what his many regulars will do now.

Gramsci and BusLanes like this.
  16. editor

Fuck's sake :(

BusLanes likes this.
  17. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

You obviously don’t shop for vegetables very often as their last day of trading was Christmas Eve.
    Terry was well over 70 and claimed the only reason he kept going was to in his words ‘get him out of the house’. He had been looking to retire for sometime. It has nothing to do with NR.

18. ShiftyBagLady

No idea, to be honest. I thought/heard it was owned by the guy who runs it but may well be wrong

19. editor

Maybe of interest to some:

First Slime shop in the UK opening in Brixton

We just wanted to let you know, we're opening a slime shop and
    workshop in Brixton on Saturday. We know it' the first slime shop in
    the UK, and we think it might be the first in the world!

We'll be running workshops for kids aged 3-14 all week for half term.
    Our company is called Slime Planet and we're based at Loughborough
    Junction arches. We've spent the last few months turning the arch into
    an amazing space for kids, using reclaimed/recycled shop fittings, and
    we think our first customers are going to love it.

Our first workshop is 11am on Saturday, and they run all week, every
    day at 11am, 1pm and 3pm. We'll then be open every weekend for
    workshops, and mid week for school science workshops and birthday
    parties.

Before we had our workshop, we ran our events in community centres,
    but have had consistently 5* reviews. We cater for children of all
    abilities and our workshops have been particularly successful with
    children who have autism.

www.slimeplanet.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/slimeplanetuk
    www.instagram.com/slimeplanetuk

Gramsci and brixtonblade like this.
  20. editor

21. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

I go up the market a lot and I was there on xmas eve and he didn't say he was retiring, the guy on the next stall told me about the network rail angle today which is why I posted about it here. Anyway whatever the story is he is a nice guy and that stall going is a great loss to the market

22. editor

23. editor

Innit?

urbanspaceman and BusLanes like this.
  24. editor

Miffed to have missed this

25. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl All lost in the supermarket

The fruit/veg stall on popes road, at the junction of Atlantic road has the most delicious, sweet lychees at the moment and you get LOADS for £1.50 (you'd get about 6 for that price in a supermarket). They're so good I wanted to post so everyone can enjoy them (if you like lychees).

blameless77, Gramsci and editor like this.
  26. editor

*on my way (if it's still open when I get there). Thanks for the tip!

27. editor

28. editor

Loving this (ex Fat White Family disco band!). They're based around Brixton.

29. editor

A peek inside the greatest photocopy shop in Brixton.

2019-02-20_151045.jpg

30. editor

Had to go into the Brixton Nationwide bank today. What a grubby store it is. And all that purple isn't a strong look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.