Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Autumn - Winter 2018-19

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

That's the one...

Gramsci likes this.
  2. editor

editor Forked with electrons

3. editor

4. editor

By Christ, that woman who belts out songs as LOUDLY AS SHE CAN outside the tube station is getting worse.

kikiscrumbles likes this.
  5. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I was wondering about that - but when I looked it up on tfl it didn't mention it. Don't understand why does gas works on coldharbour lane stop the 37 turning left on to effra rd?

6. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Why can’t local authorities ban the use of megaphones and mics in public places without prior permission? That way the right of buskers and street preachers to do their thing will be preserved, but limited to the power of their lungs/ acoustic instruments and voices so the locals are not subjected to unacceptably high noise from them.

Seems like a nice and democratic compromise to me, in particular as I wouldn’t lose much sleep if the more unsavoury of the religious folk were simply banned from spreading their filth aloud.

7. editor

8. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Just imagine what the met would do with this.

editor and Pickman's model like this.
  9. editor

Every noisy protest shut down before it could begin with arrests all over t'shop.

I'd be happy if they just restricted the maximum permissible notes per song, so the Brixton foghorn would either have to restrict her implementation of extraneous, showboating, octave-spanning, Pop Idol-crowd-wooing 'bonus' melody lines or face having her mic turned off, in the name of common decency and respect for songs that are in need of no added cliff-face vocals. Who's with me?

10. MissL

MissL Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain this? As seen in San Marino.

Attached Files:

11. Nanker Phelge

Is it made of seaweed or something?

12. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

its some trendy thing i think, ive seen black bagels in shops before.

13. Nanker Phelge

BusLanes likes this.
  14. editor

It's their vegan croissant. Never tried it.
    Yah totes.

15. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

They put a barrier across the road emanating northwards from the Budd Memorial - physically stops traffic driving into or turning into Coldharbour Lane.
    It also of course stops traffic turning right from Acre Lane into Effra Road.

Your question illustrates the material poverty of one reduced to verbal description when one simple iPhone XS shot would serve!

16. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Charcoal is apparently so good at soaking stuff up that it doesn't just clear your system of "toxins" (these don't really exist folks) or of actual poisons (in a real medical emergency, if they can't pump your stomach you might well be fed some activated charcoal instead.) Repeated, large ingestions of charcoal can end up soaking up the nutrients and vitamins from the rest of your food as well and stripping them out of your system. So don't eat too many vegan croissants at once.

ShiftyBagLady and twistedAM like this.
  17. friendofdorothy

Nah, we've managed without i phones so far!

I go past there on the bus every morning and though there are a couple of barriers it does look as if it warrants sending buses round the houses, creating more traffic and more more fumes on the most polluted road in Brixton. Doen't excuse tfl not mentioning delays on its website either.
    Gas works have caused that bit of road to be dug up so often, why cant they just get it fixed?

18. editor

It's a hard to fix gas leak.

19. friendofdorothy

Must be, the way they keep doing it over and over. How hard can it be?

20. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I think SGN (Your Gas: Our Network) are a bit like a bunch of dentists.
    They keep on drilling out cavities and doing root canals, whether you want it or not.

They have announced their Coldharbour Lane project on Twitter.

I would look up to see which Hedge Fund owns SGN, but I'm so aggravated by the Brexit votes tonight I intend to seek solace in a few pints of Wimbledon Quartermaine IPA at the Beehive - if it hasn't sold out!
    Quartermaine.png

editor and friendofdorothy like this.
  21. editor

22. editor

Not the Arctic monster covering of snow I was hoping for...

2019-02-01_012645.jpg

Gramsci and BusLanes like this.
  23. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

If you ever get lost on ferndale road seems someone decided very large signage needed to help you find your way home...

Attached Files:

24. Mr Bim of Bar

Mr Bim of Bar Well-Known Member

I went last week as a guest, as a friend of mine is a member. I’ve never been before and will never go again, was aching for four days. It was full of middle class yuppies but they were very nice.

25. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

You always ache after starting exercises if you have been a bit of a couch potato. The idea is to carry on with the exercise until you acclimatise.
    I think if I were going to do yoga I'd want some evidence that it actually does you good. The price of course would rule me out.

26. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

Yoga is a good low impact form of strength training and really helps with flexibility and rangebof motion type exercise. It is good. Yoga doesn't kill people, yuppies do.

trabuquera likes this.
  27. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I wanted to ask - has anyone else been disconcerted by the radiant picture of Lib Peck outside the photographers in between Miss Cupcake and Little Birds?
    I wondered if this was a leaving tribute - though for some reason I had thought the photographer was from an SWPish faction, if not the late (un)lamented Brixton Maoists.

To be fair the photo is remarkably good. Rather than the usual intense ready-for-business look I normally associate with (still)Councillor Peck - the pavement photo smiles serenely at on-coming passers-by.

BusLanes and Gramsci like this.
  28. editor

BusLanes likes this.
  29. editor

30. friendofdorothy

Sleepless in Brixton emailed me this:
    There is a significant extension of Markets outdoor space planned. Have your say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.