1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - August 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Aug 1, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm sitting on what might be a hell of a story about this. But, in short, the regeneration - paid for by taxpayers - is all about gentrifying the street into another estate agent-friendly Brixton 'asset.'

Gramsci likes this.
  3. choochi

choochi Well-Known Member

It does seem strange that so many units are suddenly changing hands. There's another couple of units further along the avenue that look like they're either being done up or emptied out. Atlantic Road also seems to have a few.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you look on the estate agent's blurb, the presence of Size? is brought up as an indicator of the way the commercial wind is blowing. In a few year's time it'll be a sterile, Camden-like tourist street. Very pretty but utterly soulless.

Gramsci likes this.
  5. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Neil Vokes has left for pastures new - Camden, to be precise. Not surprised. He's recently been sidelined. Sad for campaigners, though, as Vokes' tendency to blush whenever he told a lie was quite handy. :)

Angellic, innit, ricbake and 2 others like this.
  6. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

They didn't put it in that way but I was surprised when they said they were taking the lead in the Brixton Central Masterplan.

Imo opinion the Brixton Central Masterplan is now a mess. The original idea was that landowners, Council and residents would "Co produce" a Masterplan for this area. In Cooperative Council fashion.

Not a bad idea in theory. But depends on landowners/ big business being prepared to do this volunterially.

Which doesn't happen when big business like NR decide to go ahead with there own plans regardless.

At the Brixton Neighborhood Forum a Cllr was saying how he was trying to get big business/landowners to follow the example of Pop. Harnessing private enterprise with social value. Very much a Nu Labour project. It has its merits. The learning curve is that Capitalism can take it or leave it. Something the Nu Labour project has no answer to.

So in practice all the consultations on the Brixton Masterplan are toothless. As on officer told me they are "aspirations".

The way the world works is that in practice Councils ( representing the people) have little power. As Marx saw democracy needs to be extended to control the economic sphere.

7. Gramsci

I didn't know this. From reports Camden isn't run by New Labour/ Progress types. I dealt with him when I was on the Somerleyton road site. He was always good with Carlton Mansions HC. I got on well with him. He listened. I can understand why he left. I can imagine he wasn't happy with what he was being expected to do. He was imo one of Lambeth's better officers. Intelligent and not a desk jockey just looking to cover his own arse.

It's sad really. He was committed to public service. Post war when
    a lot of Council Housing was being built an officer like him would have fitted in. Always felt in Nu Labour Lambeth it wouldn't work for him. I wish him well.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  8. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Vokes is a public servant, most of the remaining senior officers in his dept at Lambeth are either job-hoppers like Sue Foster, or independent business/consultant types (like Julian Hart) who've taken the Lambeth shilling. They've not an ounce of public service in their veins, and hence not an ounce of compassion for anyone who gets in the way of them achieving their ambitions.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Wow, that's some rain!

10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Curious to know if anyone knew or remembered this character:
    MARK WILKINSON, who has died of pancreatic cancer aged 66, was a ... After a two-year hiatus when he lived in a Brixton squat, he returned to set up a ... Achievement Award in 2004 and was appointed OBE in 2010.
    Mark Wilkinson.jpg.jpeg
    He featured n the Radio 4 obituary programme this week. Drifted from living as an antiques dealer/trader living in a Brixton squat to founding own company making designer kitchens in Devizes Wiltshire.

Seems an unlikely career for a Brixton resident - but there you are. The Telegraph obituary is locked behind a pay wall - but I guess Mark's squatting days were in the early 70s.

Maybe Piers Corbyn might be able to help? (as I'm sure he would with the weather today)

11. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Hail stones!

12. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

What the actual fuck

https://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/kicked-off-the-thread.353718/#post-15178244

Seriously. It was an observation by another poster (not me) of massive, quite hilarious hypocrisy and you've banned posters from threads and closed a thread talking about it. I'd post on the thread itself but it's been closed.

I lived across the road from the Dogstar for years for what it's worth, above Clifford's shop. Punters from your nights would regularly, literally, piss on my door.

Don't post such fucking bullshit bitching about such people and then attempt to close down discussion on it. It's a problem yes, always has been. But let's start talking about to sort it out. I'd suggest banning posters from threads with a vested interest isn't a good start.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd strongly suggest you immediately stop trying to push your fucking dull and disruptive point-scoring personal beef across every thread. The topic under discussion is not me, my DJ nights or any supposed 'hypocrisy.'

If you keep trying to turn every broad Brixton discussion into a vehicle to personally attack me you will be banned.

14. Reiabuzz

Ok, I do apologise editor. There is absolutely nothing hypocritical in your position.

I've nothing else to say on the matter. You've won. I don't want to be banned so let's leave it there ok?

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm putting you on forced mutual ignore from now on because I'm not having valuable and interesting Brixton discussions constantly disrupted by your petty personal attacks. Bye.

16. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Ex-Villa roader, latish seventies, was fairly unremarkable as far as I remember. Pleasent enough bloke, part of the Somerset mafia that was spread around V road,Milbrook,Gypsy Hill and other places around Lambeth.Some ex-Villa roaders went to funeral.

CH1 likes this.
  17. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Unfortunately this has become a common approach to administering the forums. Welcome to the forced ignore club; we're a growing number.

Viva la revolucion.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nu Brixton tale.
    Walked in the Albert. Had to walk past a bunch of drunk office boys in shirts who were standing in the way of everyone. I politely ask them to let me through. One tries to grab my hat. I go mental. Not a good start to the night.

Gramsci likes this.
  19. Reiabuzz

Cool. You won.

20. Reiabuzz

• Inappropriate Content
    :D

21. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

At least they only tried to grab your hat. If you were a bird, it would have been your ass or your tits...

editor and colacubes like this.
  22. Gramsci

It takes a lot of work to keep these forums going. A service provided for free. No adverts etc.

I would like to see you banned permanently from this forum. Your profile shows what ur are about here. You add nothing to Urban75.

editor likes this.
  23. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

And you know this because they were men in shirts in a pub who touched someone's hat? :eek:

hungry_squirrel and ffsear like this.
  24. Reiabuzz

• Inappropriate Content
    It's not actually that much work :confused:

Anyway, people who can't have a laugh at themselves are, by nature, bullies in my experience. If editor thinks his punters at the nights he promotes and djs at aren't sometimes the culprits in the press release he posted about 'sleepless brixton' then. Well..

25. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Culprit is an interesting word.

I DJ in Brixton, at venues which take a lot of responsibility for how their business impacts the local surroundings.

If people I have DJd too have pissed on your door, or anyone's door, then I am sorry. I am more than sorry that human beings behave like that.

When they leave the space I work in and behave like that I don't get to be in control of them. They get to be in control of themselves, and they choose to behave in a way I feel sorry for.

Entertaining them in a responsible way in a responsible place doesn't make me a culprit responsible for their irresponsible actions when they leave and shit on a doorstep.

26. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Innit

27. Gramsci

This is a big site and it's all unpaid work to keep it going. You don't pay to use this site. There are a team of mods and techies keeping it going.

The Ed does a lot to support local campaigns in Brixton. Supporting Ritzy and Grove APG campaigns recently. Brixton Buzz and Brixton Forum are important resource for me. Outside Brixton forum the Buzz has high readership. People on my local estate read it. And like it. Yet here he gets attacked.

shakespearegirl and editor like this.
  28. Reiabuzz

I've now been given an official warning. My second one. The first being on the 'what do you think of Ivanka Trump thread' where i quoted her own dad in saying 'she's a great piece of ass'.

That one flew right over the editors head. No apology even once he realised that it was a direct quote and not a sign that I was a sexist and the warning stood once it was pointed out to him..

Gramsci, you do a lot for the community. Your posts monitoring the council are about the only good thing about this forum these days other than finding a plumber or finding a night to go and get smashed.

Editor, can you please explain why I've been given a warning in this instance?

teuchter likes this.
  29. Reiabuzz

Fair enough. I've been to your nights, they're brilliant.

Do you post up stuff the next day on your high profile local news site complaining about drunk people in the streets?

30. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Glad you have been and like what we do.

I don't have a news site, but if I did I would talk about the poor behaviour of people who bother long term locals....even if I had no idea how to alter it....and felt somehow responsible for being part of an industry that thrusts drunk folk into the streets at stupid hours of the day...

editor and Gramsci like this.