1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - August 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Carrying on from July's thread. here's the new thread for sunny August!

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Reposting this post from bimble as I'm waiting for more info so I can do a Buzz article :)

[​IMG]

Gramsci and bimble like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

My favourite DJ request of the weekend: "My girlfriend wants to hear "How Soon Is Now" by The Morrisons"

:D

Nanker Phelge and BoxRoom like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.
  6. Bes

Bes Member

Brindisa looks to me like it's closed permanently now. Any ideas what is going to be replacing it?

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's nothing on their website or social media feeds about the Brixton branch. And it doesn't seem that long ago the owner was gushing about her love for the area.

8. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

I'm amazed they survived for so long, they hardly had any customers in the shop.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Shame that their arrival in Brixton hurt the takings of the far more community-minded and affordable A&C deli.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So Wahaca have finally delivered on their promise of putting on entertainment with a predictable offering of Brixton beach/Pop Brixton-luring cocktails. Good job they're providing 'live DJs'. dead ones don't sound so good.

[​IMG]

11. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

....and Mexican wrestlers playing table football....woohoo

12. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

I still miss ' Brady's ' , great nights in a great Pub !

Gramsci, oryx, Angellic and 2 others like this.
  13. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Did anyone see anything of the Emancipation Day event and march yesterday?
    Hundreds take to streets of London calling for slavery reparations

The Evening Standard online report looks like a compilation of stuff from their London Live TV affiliate - so maybe it will be printed in today's paper.

I was aware something was happening as I watch "Sputnik - Orbiting the World with George Galloway" every Saturday on RT. Last Saturday he had Esther Stanford-Xosei - described as "spokesperson of the African Emancipation Day".

Esther was unusual in that she did not let Galloway get a word in edgeways. Normally its the other way round with George and his guests.

Anyway Esther Stanford-Xosei said the march was going off at 9 am on 1st August, so as I was around the town centre I went to see. There were people assembling stalls and gazebos outside the BCA - and a speaker system being set up - but no march as of that time.

Unfortunately I was not around later on - so looking for reviews. (The Standard link above has a couple of video clips).

Gramsci, friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It could still be here if it wasn't for fucking Lambeth flogging the place to dodgy offshore property developers.

Gramsci likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

16. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I can't bring myself to go in Brixton Wahaca (though I've quite enjoyed the Canary Wharf one - the food is good) as it would erase all the memories of Brady's. I used to go to Brady's with one of the friends I met recently in the Canary Wharf one and he says exactly the same!

Gramsci and editor like this.
  17. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The Emancipation Day demo did cause some effect - a "wall of buses" at the Elephant and Castle
    Photo captures Elephant & Castle commuter chaos - Southwark News
    Photo-by-Richard-Reynolds.png

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Blog is reporting this:

19. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

Oh no. Does that mean they'll come and put a humongous Sports Direct in?
    Or they're just going to be the new landlords?

20. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

We could do with a decent sports shop althought SportsDirect wouldn't be my first choice

21. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Seems a bit of a tucked away location to put a massive Sports Direct in..

22. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Turning in to fucking Croydon...

23. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

It's an important part of the Brixton Central Masterplan. Looks to me that Sports Direct see it as good investment. Potentially as a property development site. Rather than purely a site for a new shop.

Future Brixton

24. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Here is the link to the Brixton Blog piece

Sports Direct buys big chunk of Brixton

The article doesn't seem to bear out its title. As far as I can see, it hasn't been bought by Sports Direct. It has been bought by a company one of the directors of which works for Sports Direct, and which was founded by the same guy who founded Sports Direct, but who is no longer involved.

25. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

I'm a little confused as I thought the site had been bought by a chap who runs a number of businesses in Brixton after Kwik Save closed , he converted it into a number of sub units . Network Rail needed to create a walk through to the Arches in Valentia Place for a future Nu- Brixton project I thought ?

26. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Took this as the back end of the Emancipation March was passing the Crown and Anchor about 6pm - looked like it was about 300 metres filling the whole south bound carriage way, well organised, marshals, stewards and police managing the traffic, a few collectors rattling buckets and tins for among other things sickle cell charities. Many, particularly some of the younger participants were looking a bit worn but I think they had set off from Brixton about 12:30, so a long walk. Many still chanting and blowing horns, generally appear good natured.

[​IMG]

friendofdorothy and CH1 like this.
  27. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

That was an idea floated in the Brixton Central Masterplan consultations.

However the Council are no longer working with NR. At Brixton Neighborhood Forum officer said that now regeneration officers are taking the lead on finishing the Masterplan.

After the eviction of the arches by NR I guess talks broke down.

Where that leaves the Masterplan I don't know. It's still not finished.

28. choochi

choochi Well-Known Member

I see that the shops either side of Size? On Electric Avenue are being done up. To the left there is an awning for Westside Clothing which a quick google suggests will be a shop selling designer menswear. I'm not sure what's going in the other shop but I fear this is the beggining of the end of Electric Avenue as we know it. :(

Gramsci likes this.
  29. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

Seriously ? Lambeth council is no longer on speaking terms about their regeneration plans with the biggest landowner in the area ??

30. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

They're probably busy dealing with more immediate issues - like getting Cressingham Gardens and Fenwick Estate regenerations back on track.
    Not to mention Somerleyton Road.

Added to this there seems to be massive staff turnover in Lambeth Regeneration - they may simply have lost the plot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.