1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - April 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Cheers. He's now a 6.2ft beanpole, smokes too much weed, has big Harry Styles hair...and eats me out of house and home...

Maharani and gaijingirl like this.
  2. ash

ash Inittogether

Some great footage of the market in ‘rude boy’ 1980 on London Live just now

3. ash

ash Inittogether

Atlantic rd doesn’t look too different - I suppose that will change when NR are finished with it !!

4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I objected to it when it was first proposed. Given what happened with the Prince of Wales roof terrace.

So they finally got it on appeal.

The variation is the extend hours that the roof terrace can be used a bit.

Seems to me the start of gradually increasing hours that it can be used.

Planners were right to turn down roof terrace. Its not vital for this business. Brixton is a residential area and this will cause disturbance.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    friendofdorothy, BusLanes and CH1 like this.
  5. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

Has the Calcutta Ctreet restaurant closed? I was walking past last night and all shut up, odd for a Saturday night.

6. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

Even as a hard Brexiteer, my view is simple. If you come to the country to settle legally, whatever your age, you get to stay here for the rest of your life, with exceptions only for the most serious criminals.

If a country changes immigration laws, it should only do so for *future* immigrants, not for existing EU migrants and certainly not for people from the Commonwealth who've been in the UK for over 45 years.

Good luck with the petition, which I've signed,and I hope the government comes up with something quickly.

BusLanes likes this.
  7. Gramsci

Can you clarify this? For those existing EU citizens here you are saying they should remain here with the same rights as they have when UK was in EU. So once UK leaves EU those EU citizens from other parts of Europe already here will be treated in same way as though UK was in EU. Only those arriving after date of UK officially leaving EU will be treated differently.

Is that what ur saying?

BusLanes likes this.
  8. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

A woman's been stabbed to death on Sudbourne Road. Police say it's a domestic incident but :(

9. Gramsci

Imo Brixton Society have good track record of supporting local small business.

10. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

That will explain the police sirens speeding through Stockwell for the past 15 mins :(

11. Gramsci

Thanks for this cut and paste from FT.
    Lies from NR.

I took part in the Council organised "co production" consultation on the Brixton Central site ( popes road, Brixton station road). NR joined this knowing full well the idea of co production is that residents, small business and landowners would work together to produce long term plan for that part of Brixton.

NR decided not to do this. Gave arches notice to quit. Ignored and showed contempt for local feeling.

When NR say there arches are used for non traditional uses and that they support this they are also lying.

In Loughborough Junction I know several "non traditional" business who are under threat from rent reviews. LJAG has tried to get the arches used as boxing ring and cinema classified as assets of community value. NR have got there best lawyers on the case opposing this.

Basically NR behave like a private property company. That is they want to maximize there income. Local community does not matter.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Casaubon, editor and CH1 like this.
  12. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

On a related matter I bumped into the guy from the Bureau of Silly Ideas, who has one of the high arches next to the Sports Direct development.
    I asked him if he knew whether Sports Direct now own the old Station Road Furniture Store depot behind the Popes Road toilets.

You may recall that in that co-production exercise it was stated that the block on progress was a Mr Ali who owned both the old Tesco store and the Station Road furniture store, both of which he was apparently sitting on but not interested in maintaining or developing.

The council have obviously been busy in recent years wrecking the libraries and promoting the Pop Brixton venue. One wonders whether they should now turn their attention to getting BR to improve their squalid station and bring it into the 20th century (never mind the 21st). Especially as Network Rail have been so desperate to upgrade those retail arches which have served the minority local community.

If anyone knows of the ownership of the old furniture store it would be very good to know. This could be one to hammer the council with after the election.
    Either they need to arm twist Sports Direct (it is is them), or maybe do a CPO on Mr Ali if he is still land banking his asset.

I seem to recall the officers at the Brixton Central site community involvement meeting were suggesting a plaza in Popes Road - like a mini Windrush Square, with a much grander station entrance fronting onto this Popes Plaza so to speak. Ring any bells?

Gramsci likes this.
  13. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Just heard on the news. Awful.

14. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

Yes. Such a shame.

15. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

Yes, that's exactly my opinion, but this probably isn't the place for yet another debate about Brexit. This is about the Windrush generation.

It looks like the problem for them isn't the right to remain, it's that proper records weren't kept at the time. Well that should be the governments problem not the immigrants.

Windrush process 'must improve' - minister

friendofdorothy and Gramsci like this.
  16. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

Second outlet that has failed at that location in succession. Never nice to see things fail, especially if trying something a bit different from pizza/burger trend.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

18. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

I'm just dumbfounded that some of the Windy boys/girls have actually been deported. Why isn't there an uncontrollable mob outside the Home Office? If this happened to white people there most certainly would be. It's unfuckingbelievable. Like something out of Black Mirror.

19. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone has actually been deported. I certainly read of one case where someone got taken to Yarlswood although they were released shortly afterwards after their MP got involved.

According to the BBC.....
    "
    However, when asked how many of the Windrush generation have been deported as a result of this issue, Ms Rudd said she would have to speak to High Commissioners of different Commonwealth countries to find out if any cases existed.

She told the Commons she was "not aware of any person being removed in these circumstances" and asked anyone who did know of cases to report them to the Home Office."
    Windrush generation treatment 'appalling'

20. David Clapson

A few minutes ago I saw on the BBC site that Nokes had stated in the Commons that some have been deported. Can't find it now.

Edit: I think it was the Grauniad. It says

friendofdorothy and Gramsci like this.
  21. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

Hopefully this will be reversed quickly, and both a public and personal apology issued to those cases concerned. Hopefully enough people are watching and enough fuss has been kicked up to make things happen. If people have actually been deported we need to be looking at compensation too.

22. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

It'd be a bit fucking daft of Lambeth Council, given that part of the problem may well be down to the perceptions that white shrinks hold of black people. More funding won't help that, decent education and fewer spectres would.

23. David Clapson

People have already been sacked and denied NHS treatment! Why aren't there any demonstrators? I suppose the young don't care. They don't read the news. This is happening to somebody else's grandparents. Not my problem.

24. ViolentPanda

It's also massively fucking disrespectful. The people they're attacking have paid their dues a hundredfold more than the no-mark govt cunts who are trying to deport them.

25. ViolentPanda

So they've already ruined the lives of fuck knows how many families, the bastards.

Slo-mo likes this.
  26. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

Eggby and Gramsci like this.
  27. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

tripadvisah and Gramsci like this.
  28. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

It's everones problem - they may not be my parents, but the windrush generation have supported Britain, they have kept London running for all of us and have built the Brixton that I know and love. I'm outraged and this is directly due to May's hostile policies.

I half expected/hoped to see an impromptu demo in Windrush square on the way home. If any one hear's of a demo please post a link here thanks.

Edit to add - I'm glad to see theres a whole thread about this now.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Gramsci, choochi and DietCokeGirl like this.
  29. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

this sounds good:
    [​IMG]

30. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

friendofdorothy likes this.