1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - April 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 1, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Not sure why you're struggling to understand such a simple statement. I wish them the best and hope they reach their target, so I'm happy to do what I can to help.

2. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

Fair enough. They seem to be the type of business you usually seem to rail against, that's all

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What kind of businesses are those then? Where have I 'railed against' small independents who are actively involved in the community?

4. Reiabuzz

I think the whole 'vilaaaaaaaage' thing and the small businesses in Pop you're always banging on about covers that. What differentiates this business exactly?

5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

perhaps it is socially useful and not solely there for interloping wankers

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yawn. Just shut up with your dull attempts to stir up personal beef, please.

7. Reiabuzz

I'm not trying to stir up 'personal beef'. I just find your hypocrisy astonishing on a number of issues. Believe me, i'm with you on the anti-gentrification of Brixton. But really can't understand why you're using your platform to promote this business's objective of building 'a worldwide lifestyle brand' or whatever the fuck they they sent in their press release to you. They're precisely the type of business you usually seem to whinge about.

And please. Don't tell me to shut up again.

Waladli and Jbxsetukj3578 like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And there you have it. :facepalm: :rolleyes:

Lucy Fur, phillm and Pickman's model like this.
  9. Reiabuzz

You posted up a barely edited press release. I commented on it. How is that 'stirring up personal beef'?

You have a high profile position in Brixton society. You're going to have to take a bit of stick now and then when your inconsistency is pointed out to you.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This thread is not here to discuss my supposed 'inconsistencies.' It's here to discuss Brixton matters.

FYI, I also promoted the Cider Bar today and the new M ere Scribbler pub in Streatham too, like I constantly promote local independent businesses. I don't much care what you think about that to be honest. I'm too busy doing stuff to listen to your drivel.

11. Reiabuzz

Drivel.

You're posting up pretty much unedited press releases from chancers and I'm the one posting drivel?

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I appear to the be the only one in this discussion posting up stuff relevant to Brixton. You appear to be on some really dull crusade to turn it into something personal. Kindly stop as it's disruptive and really fucking boring.

Pickman's model likes this.
  13. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

No-one up for my arguing about tomatoes instead suggestion then :(

aussw9, bimble and Jbxsetukj3578 like this.
  14. Reiabuzz

Not worth any more of my time

15. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

upload_2017-4-20_16-39-54.jpeg

editor and Pickman's model like this.
  16. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Don't be absurd teuchter . Nobody puts tomatoes in the fridge.

The shop has raised over £5,000 from their crowdfunder already i see, people donating money for them to 'boost its growth on the worldwide platform as a Lifestyle brand'. I find that.. impressive and surprising.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 5:00 PM
  17. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I have always done. Force of habit from the much warmer lands where I haul from, I guess...

18. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

But then before you eat one you have to let it sit and warm up for an hour, right?

19. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Of course. Straight out of the fridge is madness.

friendofdorothy and BigMoaner like this.
  20. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

We could put a cctv camera on it and then get daily mail readers to classify fridge users.

Also what about bananas ?

Alex

teuchter likes this.
  21. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Exactly that. United80 is a Brixton business by Brixton people. It opened alongside a few independant shops who were ahead of the foodie wave.

Those involved with United80 were at the forefront of Reclaim Brixton, and they are actively involved in the local community from politics to events and much more.

Some of the partners have moved on and those remaining want to expand.

United80 don't warrant any claims of adding to problems of gentrification.

...and its a great little shop.

22. teuchter

For any given shop, how do we decide whether "claims of adding to problems of gentrification" are warranted or unwarranted?

On here, the assessment often seems to be carried out by posting images of the people involved looking hipsterish, or quoting pretentious marketing nonsense, or identifying products that are not affordable to a large proportion of local residents. A quick look at their website suggests they could be discredited by all of these means.

I don't see how opening "ahead of the foodie wave" is relevant by the way. If the same shop selling the same stuff had opened 5 years later would it be any different?

T & P likes this.
  23. teuchter

The standard theory is that this must be because they have lots of braying loadsamoney mates willing to slap down their wads of cash, etc etc.

24. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Reminds me of the joke - two hipsters walk into a bar. The first did it before it was cool; the second ironically.

Eggby, billythefish, phillm and 4 others like this.
  25. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I can only share my knowledge of them as Brixton lifetime residents who did not start with much and have managed to get something small up and running. They actively engage in lots of community events and were instrumental in getting reclaim brixton off the ground.

By ahead of the foodie wave I am talking about the small number of local people who were able to open up some of the units on a shoestring and bring a bit of life to a tired marketspace. This was ahead of the village becoming a destination.

They wouldn't have been able to afford it 5 years later....

DietCokeGirl, editor and Gramsci like this.
  26. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I thought jokes were supposed to be funny

editor likes this.
  27. Reiabuzz

It does look like a cool shop to be fair, although 150 quid for a satchel is stretching it a bit. They do need to sort out their press release however. Even Pop would consider that a bit of a wankfest.

28. teuchter

Ok. But how's that relevant to the question of whether they add to problems of gentrification? Does it affect whether or not they attract the "wrong sorts" to the area?

For the record I'm not into blaming individual businesses for causing problems of gentrification. They are symptoms rather than causes. I'm just comparing this to how other businesses get viewed.

29. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Well....yeah...agreed.

30. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

And their mother used to have a food shop in one of the arcades, so technically 2nd generation Brixton market. :D