1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - April 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here we go for April!

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ergo Proxy and DietCokeGirl like this.
  3. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Just back from Carnegie Library.

Celebrity speakers included local novelist Stella Duffy - who gave a very incisive and logically argued intro.

Laura Swaffield of the libraries campaign who set out the background of the campaign over the previous year.

Radio 4 celebrity Jeremy Hardy who gave a rather militant condemnation of Progress Labour's 20 year history of capturing the Lambeth Labour party and imposing right wing policies - including privatising libraries.

I think there were about 3 trade union officers - one to do with disability - he pointed out thew work done with visually impaired and deaf groups in Lambeth libraries - up to now.

Last and most popular was Rachel Heywood who stressed that the libraries campaign needs to be sustained. She claimed with enough pressure the council would have to reopen the currently closed libraries (both Carnegie and Minet). Rachel also said that she had been asked by the Lambeth Labour group to recant - in writing - her previous statements against Labour Group policy. She was asked to do this initially and when she refused she was suspended for 6 months. After the 6 month suspension they again asked her to publicly recant and she refused. She did not explain exactly, but I assume that means she is still suspended.

After Rachel's speech we were invited to form a human chain round the library. This was closely watched by the police, who had apparently been assigned to this ultimagte of middle class demos for fear of a violent break-in. The chain was evidently successful and presumably may make some publicity shots in dcue course. I think there must have been 150 - 200 people at the demo including the super-keen Wendy (80) who carries banners saying "Hoot to save the Library" everywhere and was acting as marshal, keeping people to the pavement.

bimble, catriona, Angellic and 9 others like this.
  4. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

Despite a couple of nasty drivers it was great.

Gramsci and madolesance like this.
  5. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Thanks for this report.

Cllr Rachel refusal to recant means her she won't be reselected as a Cllr for next election. A sad loss imo.

bimble, Tropi, catriona and 1 other person like this.
  6. Gramsci

7. Ergo Proxy

Ergo Proxy Well-Known Member

editor likes this.
  8. stockwelljonny

stockwelljonny Wait here I have gone to get help

A Stall holder at the farmers market by the Rec today said that Lambeth are winding up the Sunday market, all of the Sunday traders have been told they will have to leave after April by Lambeth. :(

9. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

there was always the possibility/probability of that happening, when the stallholders took over from the Farmers Market they were told that their contract would be up for renewal this year, I don't know for certain but I would bet that it's another example of our caring council showing their true colours when it comes to non-corporation business in Brixton

10. Ergo Proxy

Ergo Proxy Well-Known Member

Clapham by the Cinema market on a Sat has always been cheaper than Brixton Sunday!

Moens the butcher on Clapham Common the pavement is also cheaper than Jones the Butcher

Moens claims free range and organic meat - Jones expect to argue if you want a chop!

Oh to tell you about Jones ... their £2.50 eggs free range sell for £1.20 in the Atlantic Road Health food shop. Their white black pudding rings cost £1 they charge you £4

11. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Only if you assume that she won't stand as an Indie. Given that she's probably the best-liked of the Coldharbour Cllrs, I suspect she'd piss it as an Indie, over whichever Progressite bellend they try to put up in her place.

catriona, madolesance and editor like this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

She'd certainly get my vote.

madolesance likes this.
  13. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

I don't understand what you mean by this

Or this.

BigMoaner likes this.
  14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Was thinking that in a way a monument to Darcus Howe would represent a lot about the Brixton than the Bowie zigzag would have done . Don't suppose there will be a crowd funder though.

BTW I noticed Sandra off Gogglebox hanging out in Windrush Square this afternoon.

15. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Not necessarily! He used to live a few doors down from us and our neighbours had a few "issues" with him, shall we say.

Waladli likes this.
  16. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Yes. Well I only saw him live as it were on three occasions that I remember.

Once was when he was chairing a discussion after a performance of a ballet called Check Mate about an interracial (romantic) relationship - at the Onion Shed temporary ("Pop Up"?) theatre near Myatts Fields - in the 1990s.

Darcus proceded to demolish the idea that black/white relationships could be valid - which kind of took both performers and audience rather aback. Not much discussion there - more like Hard Talk with Darcus Howe playing Stephen Sackur. Some people got upset and walked out.

The other two occasions were "functions".
    1. an office party thrown by Greenhall Jenner Architects, then in Shakespeare Road opposite where he lived.
    2. a party given by Metropolitan Housing at the back of a house in Loughborough Park to celebrate taking over the Moorland Estate (maybe 1995?).

On both occasions he was rather drunk and also obnoxious in a loutish and sexist kind of way. In fact if he had not been Darcus Howe he might well have been asked to leave.

That is what made him (and the events described) so Brixton (IMHO).

dubh and Gramsci like this.
  17. Gramsci

Brug Newsletter April 2017

Latest Brixton Rec Users Group newsletter.

It looks like the problem with cold showers has been fixed.

brixtonblade likes this.
  18. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I'm annoyed by that Jesus as anarchist stencil down on Atlantic Rd. WTF, he was no anarchist in my book. He was all about submitting to the power of God?

Errrr? Or is it a joke?

[​IMG]

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

20. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Pretty sure I recognized an urban face on last nights 24hrs in a&e. :D

21. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

hush

pianistenvy and colacubes like this.
  22. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Haha :D x

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  23. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I also saw it and they can across really well ;):):cool:

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  24. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can get some glass cut to size? Its for a smallish sized fame.

25. felixgolightly

felixgolightly furiously apathetic

glass centre on the cut through behind clapham north, opposite The Falcon (sorry, don't know the road name) - not super local but...

peterkro likes this.
  26. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Thanks. Think it's Kingseal.

SheilaNaGig likes this.
  27. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

They're good.

Angellic likes this.
  28. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

He came in the Wholefood shop once and was pretty foul to 'most everyone. Like merely shopping was just so beneath him. When I later told the tale to my sister she was all, like, "!!But but but...! He's Darcus Howe!!"

But because Brixton, he was given pretty short shrift by everyone. He came in pretty puffed up and pushy, and he left saying thank you and sorry to the Aunties.

29. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

He was blates a fucking lifestyler. Probably had a trust fund from his real dad, too. :hmm:

Motherfucker has freakishly-large big toes, too!

30. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I think the last time I saw him was on Mayall road sitting in his door way drinking Super T. Well, it was a summer evening in Brixton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.