Brixton news, rumour and general chat - May 2014

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Rushy, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

It does sound divine. As a jerk cafe are the eggs jerked?

I think I will get the Hot Dog if I go.
    All the other dishes are in UPPERCASE leaving the Hot Dog option looking a little forlorn :(

Greebo likes this.
  2. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Anyone else noticing an increase in the number of people going through rubbish skips and wheely bins in search of goodies lately ?

3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Lambeth Archives would be interested in this.

Just seen boohoo already suggested this.

4. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Not really?

Smick likes this.
  5. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Yes. Sign of the times.

6. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

I used to do a bit of totting out of builders skips but this is different because the bins tend to be one for domestic rubbish
    about two weeks back I saw a group of 4 women with those shopping trolleys you can buy in the market for carrying booty, the littlest one
    climbed in the skip and was rooting around for a few minutes throwing stuff out to the others..... I've seen it few times since the latest being this morning
    when it was a young guy and a pregnant woman doing it, I'm also seeing more desperate looking characters generally, mostly young guys...

7. uk benzo

uk benzo أنا ليس أمريكي

The Mrs got harassed today by the scantily clad cross dresser, famous from the chicken shop TV show. He tried to sell her a photocopy of his short book. She said "no thanks, not today" at which point he got very stroppy, going off on one about how she should have said "no thanks, I'm never going to buy one". As he was about to go, the Mrs told him have a nice day- his response "not likely now that you've ruined it".

8. Dexter Deadwood

Dexter Deadwood Left Voluntarily Enforced Holiday Banned

Is there anywhere open in Brixton tomorrow that sells the waste pipe thingy that connects to a kitchen sink? That kind of ubend thing.
    Had an another flood today, backsurge, plumber came and broke the sink so that it is no longer attached to the waste pipe. Told me he did not have the parts but had raised a job for it. This was a fib, looked me straight in the eye and lied. Claims he has dealt with the stack pipe blockage but one more backsurge and i will be in serious trouble. Council told me i would have to wait until tuesday. Can't wait until tuesday, will fix it myself if i can but i don't know what i need. Help.

9. Dexter Deadwood

So that's what he was flogging outside the Ritzy last week.

10. billythefish

billythefish toad licker

I suspect the usual DIY places I try (Acre Lane or Herne Hill) may be closed on the bank holiday, but I would expect the B & Q in West Norwood would be open...

Dexter Deadwood and Greebo like this.
  11. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

West Norwood B&Q. Don't expect advice from them, they're hopeless, but the stock is ok. The useful advice places will probably be closed tomorrow

E2a beaten to it by a fish :hmm:

12. Dexter Deadwood

Thanks both of you. Managed to get another plumber to come and fix the sink but the blockage is back and Lambeth won't come back until tuesday at the earliest. They haven't maintained the stack pipes in the block for at least ten years so i won't hold my breath but will keep my fingers crossed there are no more backsurges.

Here is a picture of billythefish playing football back in the day.
    article-1087011-00F77EEB00000191-378_468x306.jpg

shygirl, boohoo, Greebo and 1 other person like this.
  13. editor

editor hiraethified

Here's how Coldharbour Lane looked around 6 this morning. That sunlight was painful on my peepers!

del.jpg

14. editor

editor hiraethified

Here's an interesting selection of stickers found in the Prince Albert bogs, along with a rather nihilistic 'NOTHING' scrawl.

del.jpg

From left to right: Power To The People, Stand Against Modern Football, BringBackBritishRail.org, a rather fabulous sticker celebrating glam rock titans The Sweet and (I think) Lambeth Activists.

Onket and Gramsci like this.
  15. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

You could try something like Oneshot drain cleaner - which is essentially concentrated sulphuric acid (therefore dangerous). It's well reviewed, but personally I'd wait for the Lambeth plumber so they identify exactly what is causing the problem. http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/9271678/reviews.htm

Greebo and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  16. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Take care if you decide to use this. I used it for my blocked sink. Bastard stuff burnt a hole in the pipe. Would have cost me £60 for a new pipe, but they messed me about fixing it and I had to put up with no water for a week and half. They agreed not to charge me when I made a complaint.

Greebo and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  17. Dexter Deadwood

I'm not sure which is more dangerous, sulphuric acid or a Lambeth Council sub contractor.

Rushy, CH1, Greebo and 1 other person like this.
  18. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

It's possible to neutralise sulphuric acid.

19. Dexter Deadwood

Lots of tables and chairs being set up on Popes Road. Looks like they are expecting a big crowd. Will check it out on my way back home.

20. editor

editor hiraethified

What's going on there today?

21. Dexter Deadwood

No idea but will be heading back home in twenty minutes and report back.

22. Dexter Deadwood

Nothing there but parked cars :confused::(
    It's a shame would have been nice to have a little community gathering on a Bank Holiday.

23. han

han brixton hill hobbit

Yes. Happens on our street a lot.
    I wouldn't mind, except they leave rubbish strewn all over the pavement.

24. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I'll meet you further on up the road

he was hassling my friend and I to buy his book the other day in west norwood. We declined. He was very scantily clad and it was a cold day. He is very convinced by the important message in his book:D. TBH he would have more luck straight out asking for cash

Dexter Deadwood likes this.
  25. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

he asked us at the last feast- he was outside the auction rooms and did look quite chilly...

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  26. uk benzo

uk benzo أنا ليس أمريكي

Quick question, where's the cheapest place to get passport photos done in the brixton - herne hill - camberwell area?

27. editor

editor hiraethified

uk benzo, Dexter Deadwood and Greebo like this.
  28. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

For personal passport snaps (non-booth) the new Eritrean in the railway arch opposite Marks & Spencers charges £8 for 8, whereas the more established photographer on Brixton Station Road between San Marino and Craft Beer charges £7 for 6.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Greebo and uk benzo like this.
  29. Dexter Deadwood

How foolish of me to believe them when they told me that all the best chemistry jokes argon.

Greebo, Manter and trabuquera like this.
  30. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

They could at least have made an effort to get the British Rail logo the right way round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.