Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shifting gears

shifting gears Well-Known Member

So you would've crossed the picket if the tube wasn't closed, then?

Just to clarify like

editor likes this.
  2. editor

editor hiraethified

Brixton tube is still closed and there was a strange shouty man with a megaphone opposite mumbling something incomprehensible about the situation.

3. editor

editor hiraethified

What's the name of that really posh fruit and veg store in Market Row (almost opposite the Express cafe) that turns into a bar of some description at night? I always find their bijou portions of vegetable on display rather amusing.

4. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Unsure: I think it is a joint venture between Cannon and Cannon deli next door and Casa Morita Mexican

5. Chilavert

Chilavert Undermining strikes :-(

Yep I enjoyed getting the train back to Brixton for a change.

leanderman likes this.
  6. passivejoe

passivejoe Well-Known Member

I can only assume that nobody shops for their veg there.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  7. Dexter Deadwood

Dexter Deadwood Left Voluntarily Enforced Holiday Banned

Boris Johnson.

prunus likes this.
  8. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I have never crossed a picket line in my life. I work in a cuntish profession, which I found my way in to by accident but we are unionised and we are members of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions so I would never face sanction for being late because I refused to cross a picket line.

All workers should respect each other, regardless of industry.

9. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Salon? Meant to be good for a splurge. Ridiculous fresh veg portions aside.

10. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Yes. Very good food. And I quite like a no-choice menu

11. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Yep. I've only been twice but the head chef chap is very passionate and very skilled. And very nice too. It really is quite a special little restaurant, I think.

leanderman likes this.
  12. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Are you "crossing the picket line" even if you aren't doing so to work for LU, then?

I don't really see how not using the tube as a passenger on a strike day is helpful to the strikers. Surely it just makes things easier for LU management, if fewer people are trying to use it.

13. shifting gears

Yes.

Smick likes this.
  14. Smick

I suppose TfL is a strange one as so many have prepaid. Nevertheless when you starve a system of its end user it will have an impact .

15. buscador

buscador culturally dominant

Just come second in the quiz at the Regent. If there's anyone who has knowledge of music post-80s (well, any music knowledge at all really) who would like to join us in a potential winning team let me know!

16. teuchter

In the scenario where I haven't pre-paid, if I get the bus or train instead of the tube, TfL will still get my money. So does that count as crossing the picket line too?

SpamMisery likes this.
  17. shifting gears

No, because train and bus workers aren't striking.

This is pretty basic really, are you being deliberately obtuse?

18. Smick

I don't really know. It's not a general transport strike and the disruption to the buses is probably significant enough for the Tube staff to make their point.

Hopefully a large number of people in non-essential jobs have been able to stay at home today, or show up at 11 or leave at 3.

Jist like the Ritzy, others can gain benefits from industrial action.

19. Smick

I get his point though. To offer an analogy: petrol station workers go on strike tomorrow. You fill to the brim tonight. Have you supported the strike?

Circumnavigation is not support. The buses will be bunged with people moaning that their £130 pm should give them more, TfL will have to find old buses and drivers. Payg income will decimate.

SpamMisery and quimcunx like this.
  20. shifting gears

We'll agree to disagree. I was taught never to cross a picket under any circumstances - and when I make my way to work via train or bus tomorrow, avoiding the tube despite it probably running at least a partial service, then my conscience will be clear, as I have not crossed a picket.

21. buscador

buscador culturally dominant

Some years ago I was in Belgium, I think, when there was a transport strike on. All of the ticket barriers were left open. I thought it a marvellous way to take industrial action.

friendofdorothy and ash like this.
  22. teuchter

The question should be whether using the partially running tube, instead of using the bus/train instead, lessens the impact of the strike action. Maybe it does, because it takes a bit of pressure off the buses therefore reducing slightly the hassle everyone including TfL experiences. The same would apply to people deciding to work from home, though. So do you also condemn those who decide to work from home instead of trying to get into work by bus? Just to clarify, like.

23. Dexter Deadwood

Fantastic fog this morning.

friendofdorothy and Greebo like this.
  24. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

[​IMG]

Brixton Road view (or lack) of Jamm first thing

25. Smick

I suppose you just have to do whatever feels right. You either support the striking workers or you don't. I wouldn't cross the line, but I'm not sure what impact that will have.

Greebo likes this.
  26. shifting gears

Nope. It's a basic solidarity issue.

Wouldn't really expect you to get it, to be honest, or maybe I'd expect you to get it, but pay it no heed.

To clarify - no, I wouldn't condemn those who chose to work from home, but you knew that already - I condemn those who deliberately, wilfully choose to cross a picket line, undermining the strike action.

editor, Greebo and Dexter Deadwood like this.
  27. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

"Crossing a picket line" to me only really refers to staff who disagree with the strike who decide to work. If staff at the gas works went on strike I'm pretty sure I'd still heat my house. If the BBC staff went on strike, I'm pretty sure I'd still watch TV. If you refused to cross every "picket line", you'd never get anything done!

28. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I don't expect people not to consume BBC News when I'm on strike tbh.

29. prunus

prunus Mostly gone

Nom nom nom.

30. Dexter Deadwood

Gosh, the middle class are so polite even when engaging in class warfare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.