1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton Mass and Babalou venues up for sale

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 22, 2012.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I get the impression both venues have underperformed a bit of late, so I'm not surprised to see them going up for sale.

2. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Babalou is currently under investigation by planning enforcement - the old restaurant part (Bah Humbug) never received permission to be changed into a club and also has a restriction not allowing it to open past midnight.

3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

It looks like Mass is closing - there's a farewell party I just saw a flyer for here:
    [​IMG]

Going to go to that.

Babalou I couldn't get into, but have had good nights at Mass in the past...distant past though. Haven't been in in ages. Remember the Dillinja Valve Soundsytem Launch - good god - was deaf for a week after that - a ring of speakers around the venue - way too much for the size! Nuts, I was a bit angry about it in fact... really thought Id done permenant damage

4. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Shame about Mass if it goes for good. Only got there a couple of times admittedly for DMZ nights but the vibe, size and sound was spot-on.

I can imagine Valve being absolutely heavyweight in there :eek: :D

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've had an interesting email about the building, and the fact that it's also still being used as a church and houses 12 small offices occupied by charities and small businesses, with a meeting room for hire by the day and a community hall. There's a bit of story here but I'll wait for permission to post up more details.

blossie33 and ska invita like this.
  6. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

i met the owner/manager of babalou last summer when i was thinking of doing a party there. It seemed like he'd been having a bit of trouble trying to get decent promoters to do good nights. The venue was definitely a bit underused and we discussed the problem of lack of passing trade and encouraging people to walk down there from the tube - maybe that will change now the fridge has been reopened? The place itself is very nice and they were doing decent thai food...but basically the reason we didn't do the party there was because there's no beer on tap and £4 for a bottle is extortionate. Shame really, the place has potential...

is it the two venues up for sale, rather than the whole building?

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No. it's not the entire building. I hope to be publishing an article soon with the full story.

8. Laughing Toad

Laughing Toad Turn the volume down please.

The building is still owned by the Church of England. The building is leased to The Brix, a charity, which lets out space to other organizations, including Chicks Ltd, which run the Mass and Babalou venues.

Editor's showing restraint, but the Brix Trustees' annual report is more forthcoming about a possible explanation for their departure.

It looks like they just didn't want to pay their rent.

9. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

love that venue and hope it goes to good hands
    used to go to the bug bar quite a bit and mass a fair few times too, could never afford the restaurant tho

10. Brixton Hatter

Yeah the Bug Bar was a great, I had some great nights out in there. The new Babalou incarnation, though smart, is a bit posh for me and doesnt use the space as well as the Bug Bar did.

Used to go to Mass a lot for techno nights, but prob havent been in there since about 2001. It's a really big space and you need the right number of people (at least 500) otherwise it looks really empty...

11. Brixton Hatter

The entire building? Or just the lease?

12. Laughing Toad

And from the Soth London Press:

13. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Gwan then ed - your time to shine :)

14. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

3rd Base was the home of Dubstep really. Things change I guess and what was great at the time doesn't need re-enacting. Hard venues to run really, Mass is particularly big, hard to club to fill in these recession days.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm just getting permission from a source.

16. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Nah, I meant to run the club :D

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh, no thanks! I was invited to take over some of the promotion there a while back but I have a golden rule about where I put on my nights: do I normally go there already or would I want to go there regularly.

18. fortyplus

fortyplus smug git

The smoking ban has changed the dynamics of entertainment spaces in unexpected ways, and I think it's probably affected these two. One of the reasons the Hoot works so well is that the outside smoking area is on the same level as the dancefloor. Once they've gone downstairs for a fag, smokers tend to stay there. So it's hard to keep the place full enough to feel fun. The few times I've been to Babalou it's always seemed empty, you spend your time wandering round the arches looking for the party. Oh yes, it's upstairs outside in the cold.

19. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Which would explain Mass' problem, it's a 'journey' to the outside for a fag. Think the new Electric have got a smokers terrace or something.

20. ska invita

Thats the problem with it for me - the layout is awkward, the sound isn't up to it (it's in a crypt so you can easily go louder), and it's too bright. I'm sure it could be made good. Last time I was there I went to what was a great line up and left after 30mins.

21. ska invita

:eek::D

22. Laughing Toad

A massive lobster tank, perhaps.

23. jakejb79

jakejb79 Laughing Cow

Is Mass really going?, I asked yesterday downstairs at Babalou and they said they was still taking bookings and that Mass was not closing down.

24. Laughing Toad

From www.dubwisefetival.com

25. jakejb79

jakejb79 Laughing Cow

Oh i see, so its the last dub event but not the closure of the club, that is good news.

26. ska invita

Probably a bit of a sales pitch for the gig, but its worked on me!

27. Laughing Toad

Bump, to remind editor he was going to get permission to post up details of the story here.

Rushy and RaverDrew like this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've written to the person asking them to send me their words, but they haven't responded yet.

29. Laughing Toad

:(

30. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Go on. Give us a clue!