Brixton market family forced out after Network Rail doubles arch rent

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Dec 21, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is scandalous.

2. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

So sad to see this. :(

Gramsci and Slo-mo like this.
  3. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

That's awful :mad:

Gramsci likes this.
  4. Judelo

Judelo Erm..

Trying to message ketwork fail and their website is MUCH worse than useless for getting comments, questions or complaints

5. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I buy my fruit off them. They've been in Brixton for years.

friendofdorothy and shygirl like this.
  6. Gramsci

Network Rail don't give a shit. It's more than annoying.

7. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Were you swimming at the Rec today Gramsci? I was there with my mum and the kids. I thought it might be you but wasn't sure without you being on your bike :)

8. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

As most of the people who had also been "in Brixton for years" have been replaced by a 'new demographic' who, just like the people who run Network Rail, have priorities in Brixton which are other than the purchase of fruit and vegetables, they were always going to be on borrowed time.

If the chairman (peter.hendy@networkrail.co.uk) and chief executive officer (mark.carne@networkrail.co.uk) of Network Rail are as concerned about this as some of you might like to think, no doubt we will all hear from them.

Gramsci, Slo-mo and editor like this.
  9. Gramsci

Yes I was. Around midday. Getting last swim before Christmas.:)

Winot likes this.
  10. moggy1

moggy1 New Member

We buy fruit from them. Very friendly. Very sad to read that their market stall in Main open Market space of Electric Avenue will have to close down. Can only assume it is because of loss of storage space under the arches somewhere that Network Rail control. I do not believe that Network Rail control the Market Stall places in Electric Avenue, if they do, something very wrong. Thanks very much to the delightful Kelly Family, will miss you both very much. Hope you have a good future. All good wishes Moggy1

Gramsci and editor like this.
  11. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Similar things happening in Hackney.

East End artists and businesses driven out as railway rents spiral

12. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.
  14. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

The new owners will probably be obliged to consider not filling the refurbished arches with the usual restaurants and bars though, just as they will consider the opinion of the existing tenants when thinking about putting the rent up and consider how they can help existing tenants that cant pay the increased rent. In fact all three processes could concievably use the same waste paper bin.

Judelo likes this.
  15. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

It's a real shame that longstanding independent businesses are being forced out like this. Has network rail bothered to comment at all?

agricola likes this.
  16. Gramsci

The sale has been forced on NR by previous chancellor of Exchequer Osborne..They weren't happy about it. NR had seen at St Pancreas for example how lucrative arches could be. Evecting Brixton arches for refurbishment was NR realising potential.

So they were well pissed off at sale.

The argument NR used for eviction of existing business and refurbishment was potential income that would be reinvested in rail network.

Now with this " fire " sale this income stream will no longer be available.

Its argument between different types of capitalism imo.

Depressionally the ordinary Joe is a loser whstever happens.

I think arches should have been kept with NR.

At least then some political oversight could have been kept.

agricola and Judelo like this.