Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Gramsci

My view is that as a basic principle all parking should be chargable - all of those of us who walk, or even take a taxi home from, supermarkets with parking are effectively subsidising those who drive there and paying higher prices. Parking is not free to provide.

However, I'm not there is anything legally Lambeth Council could do to either force charging or to take their car parks away - how would they practically do it? Compulsory purchase the car park land? Would cost millions and almost certainly be legally challenged by the supermarkets who would have far more money to spend on lawyers than Lambeth. I dont' think theres any way to force them to charge.

The Tesco site on Acre Lane will be redeveloped at some point. I'm sure I've read or heard that there is a long term plan to clear the site and rebuild with an underground car park and flats above - the current site is a hugely inefficient use of the space and I'm pretty sure that bit of Acre Lane is zoned for at least 5 floors (what's Mr Knight got permission for for the Diamond Plumbers site?). There's a *lot* of money to be made on that site.

The one that Lambeth really shouldn't have allowed is the Sainsbury's opposite Hootananny. It's too large a store for the size of the car park, generates a load of car trips that makes the whole area more dangerous for peds and cyclists on a junction where two arms (including the BWL west) have no pedestrian phase. It should have been given permission with disabled parking only. Cycle parking there is a joke as well - a tiny number of spaces in a location where they've been repeatedly driven into so they're unusable.
Here is Chuka ( when he was Labour) on the Streatham development:

Mr Umunna said: “This is great for Streatham’s regeneration and the new ice and leisure centre makes it even more of a destination which is good for all the small businesses here. This is more than a fantastic new leisure centre, it’s created hundreds of jobs and homes too but none of it would have been possible without the smart, strategic partnership forged between Lambeth council and Tesco.”

Streatham has a new Tesco and its ice rink back

thebackrow

Not that simple. In Streatham Tesco's have started to implement time limits. As they saw people were were using the Tesco car park as parking space to use shops in Streatham not only Tesco's. Tesco's have started to introduce technology to mean that one has to shop in the store and not just use it to access other small business.

I said if Brixton market is to lose its car park ( as it did) then Tescos should lose theirs.

I said that Brixton market lost their car park to facilitate Streatham development with big car park for Tescos Beijing finished.

I also said the. Streatham development was a partnership development between Lambeth and Tescos. So why didnt Lambeth insist on car free development?

I really wish posters would actually read the content of my posts.

I want a level playing field.

Why does this keep being mis interpreted?
It's not. You may "want" things but there's no point demanding something if it's not in someone's power to deliver. *How* should tesco's car park be taken away (see my post above)?

The Popes Road car park was demolished because it was structurally unsound Popes Road Car Park - DDS Demolition
" the steel packer plates between the spandrel panels and the main frame had rusted and blown, which had compromised the structural integrity of the structure. Following a number of structural reports the Car park was deemed unfit for public use and a possible source for falling debris".
It was built at a time when car centric planning was at its height and an elevated Motorway was planned to run down Coldharbour Lane. Research showed that only a small minority of market customers arrived by car and, with Brixton being a major public transport hub, there really is no justification for car parking which encourages short car trips.

I'm guessing Lambeth couldn't insist on a car free development for Streatham as a large Tesco store probably isn't considered viable without it. So likely they had the choice of no parking or no ice rink.

I've offered to buy you a beer now and chat about this stuff in person a number of times now but you still haven't responded. I agree with you, big supermarkets with big car parks are not what we need in cental London. However, I really don't think the answer is to build a big car park for the market and im sure that Lambeth have no way of taking Tesco's away.

teuchter

je suis teuchter
Brixton past,present and future

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your contribution to the project so far. We have had nearly 4,000 contributions and there is still time. The map consultation will be open for four more weeks, please help us with the final push by sharing this News item with your social media friends via Facebook or Twitter using the buttons below.
What’s next?

Over the next four weeks our team will be out on the street running a series of face to face engagement events and circulating materials via local media, project stakeholders, community champions, businesses, GPs, Libraries, Tenancy and Residents Associations and many more.

After the map closes we will be analysing the comments and feedback to help us understand what the main issues are in the Brixton area from the people that know it best, residents and visitors. We will publish a report on these findings towards the end of 2019 which will form the basis of our next phase of collaborative design.

Starting from November we will be developing proposals in collaboration with local residents, businesses and stakeholders to improve Brixton streets. We will invite you to design workshops, surveys, trials and walkabouts to help us shape proposals together. We will share locations, dates and times of the face to face engagement soon; watch this space.

Gramsci

latest update on this from presentation from last Brixton Neighborhood Forum in January:

Brixton Liveable Neighborhood

This is ongoing project.

Next stage of consultation begins soon.

The project is going to recruit five local people to help.

There is going to be a lot more face to face consultation. Visits to business etc. *Going to people on their terms/ catch people where they already are"

The Brixton Liveable Neighborhood has been divided into different areas. Consultation will be done in these areas. Loughborough Junction will have consultation specific to it for example.

A new Commonplace website will come out soon. I think this is it:

teuchter

je suis teuchter
latest update on this from presentation from last Brixton Neighborhood Forum in January:

Brixton Liveable Neighborhood

This is ongoing project.

Next stage of consultation begins soon.

The project is going to recruit five local people to help.

There is going to be a lot more face to face consultation. Visits to business etc. *Going to people on their terms/ catch people where they already are"

The Brixton Liveable Neighborhood has been divided into different areas. Consultation will be done in these areas. Loughborough Junction will have consultation specific to it for example.

A new Commonplace website will come out soon. I think this is it:

Interesting that they appear to be revisiting the idea of partially blocking through traffic on Loughborough Road.