Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by teuchter, May 8, 2019.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Here is Chuka ( when he was Labour) on the Streatham development:

Streatham has a new Tesco and its ice rink back

2. thebackrow

thebackrow Active Member

It's not. You may "want" things but there's no point demanding something if it's not in someone's power to deliver. *How* should tesco's car park be taken away (see my post above)?

The Popes Road car park was demolished because it was structurally unsound Popes Road Car Park - DDS Demolition
    " the steel packer plates between the spandrel panels and the main frame had rusted and blown, which had compromised the structural integrity of the structure. Following a number of structural reports the Car park was deemed unfit for public use and a possible source for falling debris".
    It was built at a time when car centric planning was at its height and an elevated Motorway was planned to run down Coldharbour Lane. Research showed that only a small minority of market customers arrived by car and, with Brixton being a major public transport hub, there really is no justification for car parking which encourages short car trips.

I'm guessing Lambeth couldn't insist on a car free development for Streatham as a large Tesco store probably isn't considered viable without it. So likely they had the choice of no parking or no ice rink.

I've offered to buy you a beer now and chat about this stuff in person a number of times now but you still haven't responded. I agree with you, big supermarkets with big car parks are not what we need in cental London. However, I really don't think the answer is to build a big car park for the market and im sure that Lambeth have no way of taking Tesco's away.

3. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Brixton past,present and future