Brixton LGBTQ experiences

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by lemonjellied, Jun 11, 2019 at 4:24 PM.

1. lemonjellied

lemonjellied New Member

Hi all,

My boyfriend has just moved to Brixton, and is concerned that it might not be as gay friendly as other places that he's lived. In particular, how well any kind of public displays of affection such as holding hands would go down and what reaction to expect. He has been attacked before so it is not an irrational fear.

If anyone has any direct experiences, or if you know of local LGBTQ groups where he can chat to people about it, particularly ones attended by a wide range of the community, we'd be really interested. Obviously some Caribbean countries have a reputation for homophobia, including in some of the music culture, but we don't know how prevalent that is amongst the communities here, and that is a worry.

Thanks

2. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

I often see same sex couples holding hands in Brixton and never seen any trouble around it or even anyone giving a second look TBH

3. editor

editor Walking along the lonely street of dreams

Shame that Brixton has lost just about all of its gay bars/clubs. There's SW9, but that's about it. I miss Substation.

4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Excuse me if I'm sceptical. But you are brand new poster.

I'm not sure if this is a fishing expedition post.

Homophobia is not just Carribbean problem.

5. Southlondon

Southlondon The river's there for a reason

I think Brixton’s like anywhere else in London. If you’re going to walk down backstreets holding hands there’s more of a risk than there is if you’re in the main streets during daylight hours. Just up the road, Vauxhall has a large and very visible gay population, and yet there are still the occasional violent homophobic assaults, but in the main this part of south London doesn’t feel any less safe to me than most other parts. As the recent tube assault on the 2 women shows, homophobia is everywhere unfortunately and whilst gay people should be able to hold hands in public and show affection anywhere they want, the current rise in all forms of hate crime dictates a need to be aware of personal safety. We even get our share of homophobia in the centre of the west end in daylight hours.
    As for the references to Caribbean people and homophobia, a good point to remember is that the country’s first gay resource centre was located in Brixton, and one of my great memories of marching on the big antinazi league march to brockwell Park 40 years ago was being greeted by the Brixton fairies complete with beards and frocks mingling with their black neighbours as the marchers passed along Railton road. londons 2nd biggest gay club the fridge, and the very cruisy substation south attracted large numbers of gay clubbers to Brixton and the vast majority would have a trouble free time walking through Brixton to and from the venues. Brixton was famed for its vibrant Afro Caribbean community which has always existed side by side with an alternative culture including a large visible gay community and I have always felt safer in Brixton than I would walking through predominantly white working class areas to be honest.

6. editor

editor Walking along the lonely street of dreams