Brixton food news: new restaurants, pop ups, cafes and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Onket, Dec 6, 2011.

1. ash

ash Inittogether

Interesting - do you know if it’s open lunchtimes

2. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

Indeed it is! I was there about 2pm

3. ash

ash Inittogether

Oh will give it a go - interesting use of Beef on the menu as I don’t suppose they are allowed to cook with it in Goa. Prices are very reasonable.

4. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

ill give it a goa too

editor and Yage like this.
  5. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

It was a good size portion and tasted very fresh. The lady serving was very pleasant and threw in the home made chutney for free.

That site has seen a number of ventures try and fail over the years. I’d love to see this one stay.

6. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Was just in Goa and they do eat beef and pork but mainly chicken and seafood. Will definitely check this place out as Goan food is amazing.

7. ash

ash Inittogether

We were in India decades ago and I thought it was illegal to slaughter cows and eat beef. I know Goans are Christian not Hindu - maybe they are more flexible with rules about cows these days (or I have got it wrong) . The only food I remember from Goa was a very runny egg curry but I was vegetarian in those days so missed the options of all the amazing seafood !!

8. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

It is in lots of states but not Goa.

9. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

10. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

Ain't goin' to give it a Goa. :(

editor likes this.
  11. Casaubon

Casaubon Well-Known Member

I was in Panjim last month, and very surprised to see beef on the menu in a couple of restaurants.
    Later, in Kerala, I was even more surprised to see beef butchers operating openly and without fuss.

The sort of fundamentalist Hinduism that’s holding sway over much of the ‘cow belt’ doesn’t seem to be gaining much traction in the South.

Gramsci and ash like this.
  12. editor

editor hiraethified

Another plucky local start-up gets given a break at the community hub that is Pop Brixton. Oh no wait.... :rolleyes:

Gramsci likes this.
  13. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

14. editor

editor hiraethified

"The sleek interior at Roe, the latest addition to foodie destination Pop Brixton"

Whatever happened to the community hub it was supposed to be?

Gramsci likes this.
  15. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Good sit down pizza for me and my two girls in Brixton/West Norwood on a Sunday?
    Don't know if lunch or tea yet. Suitable for a 9 and 15 year old. They always want to go to Pizza Express but I'm bored of it, what else is good?

16. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

There’s the new 400 Rabbits place on West Norwood High St. I’ve not been in but heard it’s good. Looks nice from the outside. Was going to check it out today but my brother’s cancelled on me :rolleyes: I might try it later anyway.

17. ringo

I'd seen that, thanks for the reminder.
    The teenager says yes

colacubes likes this.
  18. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

Mmmm... rabbits... :)

19. ringo

It's really good. Nice sough dough bases and one of the best tomato sauces I've had on a pizza. Good selection of beer and wine too, and not that pricey.

colacubes likes this.
  20. discobastard

discobastard Well-Known Member

I couldn’t get in the other night because it was a 40 minute wait and my dining companion insisted we find somewhere else. So we went to the Garden Bistro and I have to say it was great. Really good pizza. Can’t believe it’s been open in WN for 5 years and I’ve never been

Will be trying Rabbits too but been to the CP one.

ringo likes this.
  21. ringo

I've never been to the Garden Bistro, will have to try it :thumbs:

22. discobastard

discobastard Well-Known Member

I had the bolognese pizza and it was great. Better than Franco Manca, as good as 400 Rabbits. And the couple on the next table had a huge platter of meats and cheeses which looked amazing.

Also v friendly - you’ll enjoy it!

ringo likes this.
  23. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Two new openings on Acre Lane. What was Opus has reopened as the Beast of Brixton café (run by the people who run the cocktail bar on the floor above). Haven’t been in yet.

Aries bakery has also opened a few doors down (the other side of Branksome Road). Nowhere to sit but sells takeaway coffee as well as very good (but not cheap) posh bread and pastries.

Not sure if there are enough customers for these two and for Blank on the other side of the road.

24. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

Saw the Beast place was open today. Will pop in tomorrow as I work close.

Blank is always busy with people on their laptops. I don’t like their coffee (but I don’t really like coffee!). I tried their vegan sausage roll and can confirm I prefer real animal flavour. Nice place though.

Have noticed Sams Cafe has started doing panini, which is basically a hot squashed baguette for a quid more. I do like Sams though. The size of their baked potatoes have been compared to my gigantic bald head. Those potatoes are clearly genetically modified!

Winot and BusLanes like this.
  25. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

It's really rather lovely. We've only been a few times and not for ages but it's gaijinboy's favourite.

discobastard and ringo like this.
  26. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

Is that the place in West Norwood?

27. Yage

Yage Well-Known Member

I went to the place that has replaced “oh, puss” and it’s a coffee shop that also does sandwiches at £6.50. The sandwiches didn’t look very good. I did not try the sandwiches.

28. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Bloody hell!

29. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

yes

30. editor

editor hiraethified