Brixton food news: new restaurants, pop ups, cafes and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Onket, Dec 6, 2011.

1. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Don't think this will have an adverse effect on their takings.....btw I got these in the Coop today.......

image.jpeg

Gramsci likes this.
  2. cuppa tee

Just a heads up for Gramsci and happyshopper
    My OH went into Wholefoods Market in glasshouse street to research prices
    1 normal Jaffa style orange retails at 79p
    1 small bag of red lentils £1.60 ( Same bag in Noors 69p IIRC)

Gramsci, ash and editor like this.
  3. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

I don't think normal people shop in either Wholefoods Market or Glasshouse street for sensible prices!

4. cuppa tee

Agreed but it's always busy and doesn't look like closing...
    Probably only a matter of time before they rock up here cos the number of 'normal people' is certainly dwindling.

snowy_again likes this.
  5. editor

editor Forked with electrons

6. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

There is a reason it’s called wholepaycheque

Casual Observer and BusLanes like this.
  7. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I use that shop occasionally. It does have everything if you can find it. It appears to be busy but given the shop has a large footprint I don't understand how it breaks even on that site.

Glasshouse Street is right next to Piccadilly and benefits from bemused tourists who come to to see Eros. That is the only reason the Trocadero survives.

The animal rights protestors outside UGG shop are always entertaining.

The best place for your OH to visit is the Japanese shop in Brewer street just around the corner from Wholefoods Market in Glasshouse street.Turn right up Air street to Brewer Street.

Its a genuine Japanese shop run by Japanese. With a lot of Japanese going there.

Best cheap Tofu and my partner says the Green Tea ( imported directly from Japan) is the best she has tasted.

Tofu is cheap and very good. Only buy it there now.

Also has seaweed and other exotic foods. Bought the seaweed but haven't worked out what to do with it yet.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    ShiftyBagLady and cuppa tee like this.
  8. cuppa tee

She works quite close to there and visits the Japan Shop sometimes, I got a bollocking for buying a cheapo tea pot for her when she really wanted one of their cast iron ones

BusLanes, ShiftyBagLady and Gramsci like this.
  9. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Not really surprised that vegan cheese is expensive if it’s made from cashew nuts and coconut oil. Both are pricey ingredients.

10. cuppa tee

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  11. editor

Drop them a line, I guess.

cuppa tee likes this.
  12. cuppa tee

Thx :thumbs:

13. editor

Great news! Brixton is getting another much needed restaurant in the old laundry next to the Villaaage.

BusLanes likes this.
  14. editor

15. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

New Italian restaurant - Maremma - corner Brixton Water Lane/Arlingford Rd - Tuscan food their speciality. Theres been a lot of work to the corner site which was a sort of cafe/restaurant that no one went to (it was actually a cover for a club in the basement).

Ma2.PNG

Being just down the road from Piglets it will probably be priced similarly so a 'high days and holidays' place for me.

I miss the chinese that has never reopened and Gingers fish and chip shop that used to be where Khans is IIRC (big I with my dodgy memory).

I wonder if Italian sheepdog will actually be on the menu !

Ma1.PNG

editor likes this.
  16. editor

Sounds well lah de lah with its 'Executive Head Chef':

Not for the non-quintessential oiks either:
    Gentrification ahoy!

17. lordnoise

By the looks of the fancy original looking window arrangement the premises were originally aimed at some sort of posh customer ed!

editor likes this.
  18. editor

Oh I dunno. Even some of the most basic shops had fancy frontages back in Victorian times.
    [​IMG]

Gramsci likes this.
  19. lordnoise

I went in there when it was on its last legs - a sad visit as a lack of local interest at the time meant it made no money and the quality of the food suffered ...
    Anyone able to find out what the Maremma was originally ...

20. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Was that built as an eel and pie shop? I thought it was originally the Theatre Restaurant. Built when Brixton was the flashy entertainment and shopping district of London. Before falling on tougher times.

21. lordnoise

Thanks Rushy - that makes sense to me ...

22. editor

You can find plenty of examples of relatively well appointed shops selling to the working classes. Many Victorians traders were very shop proud and there were plenty of actual artisans around capable of building to a good standard.

Gramsci likes this.
  23. lordnoise

Yes theres no doubt that Brixton was a socially well mixed neighborhood pre 60s and 70s ...

Gramsci and editor like this.
  24. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Isn't Maremma north of Rome too? New owners drink at the Canton.

25. lordnoise

21st Century equivalent of Youngs Pie and Mash shop - pity its in Independence, Ohio ...

Macdo.PNG

26. Mr Bim of Bar

Mr Bim of Bar Well-Known Member

27. Mr Bim of Bar

Mr Bim of Bar Well-Known Member

Just walked past Eat of Eden in the Villarge and had to stop and ask if I could take a photo of this food, it looked absolutely fabulous.

28. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Its Vegan. My partner is vegan and thinks the food is very good. Its not to pricey. Lack of seating unfortunately. When we were there it was doing a lot of take aways.

29. Yage

Yage Active Member

New Goan place now open at 126 Acre Lane.

Couldn’t really read the name. I had the prawn curry with rice and chutney for £9 and it was excellent.

Attached Files:

Winot likes this.
  30. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

That menu sounds very reasonably priced, more so when you look at the curry itself which looks decent enough.