Brixton food news: new restaurants, pop ups, cafes and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Onket, Dec 6, 2011.

1. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

More likely that Brixton has reached peak fancy burger.

2. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Judging by the people queuing up to eat a pricey Honest burger without a seat in the Villaaaage today, I think not.

3. djdando

djdando Well-Known Member

Honest burgers new vegan burger is outstanding

4. editor

It's not made by them though - it's made by Beyond Meat. And if I'm paying £11 to £12.50 for a burger, I'd like to sit down and enjoy it on a plate.

5. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

Good on them for outsourcing to some expert vegan burger makers rather than an in-house half-arsed effort. They're spending extra cash to deliver something for their customers. And I say that as a militant meat eater.

6. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

I never figured why a vegan, or vegetarian would want to eat an ersatz meat patty.
    What's wrong with a nice fat juicy grilled mushroom ?

E2a is it possible some cannot forego conspicuous consumption of something instagrammable with a hefty price tag.

CH1 likes this.
  7. editor

Nothing but they get boring after a while. And seeing as we live in a meat eating world, it's easier for people turning veggie/vegan to eat familiar looking/tasting food. I haven't eaten meat for decades but I enjoy eating vegan/veggie sausage sandwiches, burgers, mince or whatever as well as other non-meat foods. It's better to have more choice!

PS I have no interest in Instagramming anything I eat.

Gramsci likes this.
  8. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I’d imagine for those veggies and vegans who would want to avoid all kinds of cross contamination however small, their burger being prepared in a vegan environment would be good news. You have to wonder how many omnivore restaurants offering veggie options have two sets of grills, ovens etc to ensure veggie food never gets near non-veggie food.

editor likes this.
  9. editor

It's one of the reasons I'm rarely keen on eating veggie fast food in meat-tastic restaurants. The smell of cooking flesh can put me off a bit too.

10. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Jackson Boxer knows his onions. Comes from south London restaurant royalty (Dad ran a deli in Bonnington Square, brothet is the Frank of ‘Franks’, Grandmother is Arabella Boxer the cookery writer and he opened Brunswick House in Vauxhall).

(Edit to correct family relationships)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  11. cuppa tee

Good point about the new converts but isn't the choice thing capitalist programming that could well do with binning ?

Some do, just saying.

12. cuppa tee

Good to see that edit......I was a bit concerned for a minute....wasnt the grandmother known as Lady Arabella Stuart, youngest daughter of the eighteenth Earl of Moray before she married Mark Boxer - Wikipedia

13. editor

I don't know any of these people but are there private schools/royalty/city boys etc involved? Most nu-Brixton ventures seem to be fired by these types.

14. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

From the streets :thumbs:

15. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Almost certainly.

16. editor

17. cuppa tee

18. editor

They're flying food in from the Hebrides every day. Posh diners 1 Environment 0.
    Ya. Totes.

The aquawhat?

19. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

aquadosh

editor likes this.
  20. editor

What a load of pretentious rich-kid bollocks.

Brunswick House Chefs to Open New Shoreditch Restaurant

cuppa tee likes this.
  21. cuppa tee

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    editor likes this.
  22. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

They seem to be rebranding a bit with new shops - more HONEST than Burger

23. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Not really. Point about moving on from capitalism to communism is not to reduce choice but to make it affordable for all.

I find some of the new vegetarian / vegan products interesting. I think it time to move on from idea that being vegetarian or vegan one must limit ones taste choices.

Food is a socially constructed thing. Its manipulating natural products. So I'm all for mass produced vegan/ vegetarian alternatives to the meat industry. Which in an era of climate change is harmful use of earth's resources.

editor likes this.
  24. editor

25. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

RubyToogood, editor and BusLanes like this.
  26. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

To be fair they could be using that as an example of a successful concept that's worked in Brixton so what could the next one be!

27. editor

Wrong kind of "concept."

organicpanda likes this.
  28. editor

It's not a 'concept' though, is it? It's a traditional business that has been around for centuries.

29. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

There's been a fire on Brixton Hill at the Lisboa Grill, about 30 minutes ago. Just saw a video on Twitter from @food_pix

30. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Noooo