Brixton food news: new restaurants, pop ups, cafes and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Onket, Dec 6, 2011.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That sounds pretty awful. It takes some effort to fuck up something as simple as a toasted bagel! What were the prices like?

2. iantldn

iantldn Member

£3.20 with a couple fillings.

Mac & cheese side was £2.20 and think jerk chicken, ackee & saltfish & stuff was £5 iirc

Hopefully just a bumpy start and they'll sort out the bagel freshness. Seen some more positive Google reviews so maybe I was unlucky.

3. djdando

djdando Well-Known Member

Yeh I went in the other day. Expecting brick lane bagel but soon realised it wasn’t. Felt to rude to walk out without ordering but wish I had. The bagel was stale and the filling 90% mayo. Rank.

Jangleballix likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Glowing reviews on a freshly opened food join always get me going all...

spock-s-eyebrow-raise-o.gif

5. iantldn

iantldn Member

They're not glowing tbh, so thought they were legit. Most of the negatives were at lack of choice for fillings which wasn't my issue at all.

editor likes this.
  6. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Went to Thai Tuck Deli in Tulse Hill today for lunch. Not bad at all. Bit small, but reasonable value. Had a main and a starter of large spring rolls + a beer for about 16-7

7. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Wish it was still a off license/shop to be honest.

editor and BusLanes like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I wonder if Lambeth's apparent policy of "Selling cans cheap to poor people = BAD, approving endless expensive booze-churning trendy bars for rich people = GOOD" played a part in that shop's demise?

Gramsci likes this.
  9. jimbarkanoodle

They must have had it in for them to some degree, as they werent allowed to sell cans after something like midnight. Yet the shop on the corner a few doors down by Refill can still operate all night. I wonder how long until they take away that privilege?

editor likes this.
  10. alcopop

alcopop Banned Banned

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Remember when they were so keen for Brixton Village/Market Row to turn into an entrepreneur-exciting, yup-luring 'destination' that they seemed to turn a blind eye to the businesses flogging booze without a proper licence?

12. iantldn

iantldn Member

HNY everyone.

Just a note. A couple of local take-aways and restaurants around Brixton that I regularly frequent have been looking a bit empty recently. Support the good independent businesses if you can, January is a tough time as people are short of expendable income but small businesses can feel that pinch even more than consumers.

BusLanes likes this.
  13. jimbarkanoodle

and dont use Deliveroo/Just Eat/Uber eats because they take a big chunk of commission for basically doing nothing apart from providing an app.

editor likes this.
  14. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Yah its quiet all over still!

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've never used any of those services, although I understand their popularity.

16. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

As I understand it some businesses use deliveroo/Uber eats/ just eats as they don't have their own delivery service and it might work out cheaper for them to outsource rather than employ drivers themselves? I guess it all depends on the volumes?

17. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Especially as these delivery companies pay by the delivery and not by hour. Also driver are "self employed". The reason some business use these delivery companies is that employing people directly is "onerous" cost to business.

Outsourcing is common to big and small business. It is cheaper than having employees with all the onerous responsibilities and costs incurred by business. Whether large or small.

editor and sparkybird like this.
  18. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

Baba G's from Pop that actually started before Pop on Coldharbour lane were on Million Pound Menu last night. They got a £300K investment to open 2 permanent restaurants from Atul Kochar. Fair play to them. Started with £3k.

19. jimbarkanoodle

Is that the indian themed burger place? I like the idea/sound of their food.

20. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

Thats it. I ate there once in Pop. It was really good.

21. djdando

djdando Well-Known Member

Soon to receive the wrath of Ed as they move into the chain category

Angellic likes this.
  22. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

They already have 2 or 3 sites...

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I really have no strong feelings either way.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

25. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's all about entrepreneurs, cultural spaces, new experiences and more entrepreneurs. And hubs and incubators, natch.

27. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They are. It says in the first paragraph of the article! I wonder what happened to Honest who looked like they were moving into the space. Maybe they couldn't get the licence?

29. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I didn’t read it! Maybe Honest have over-expanded?

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I doubt it. They're backed by very big investors now and worth millions.