Brixton food news: new restaurants, pop ups, cafes and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Onket, Dec 6, 2011.

1. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

They are now advertising free wifi

2. Louisgwinn24

Louisgwinn24 Active Member

Fancy Funkin Chicken was repossesed

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Awful name, awful wannbe hipster place.

Bring back the Phoenix!

Louisgwinn24 likes this.
  4. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

The Phoenix sold it and moved to a new place then sold that.

They also built a new block of flats

They are not coming back

5. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

It was shit anyway

6. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

It was very overrated for the food but I loved the original as a proper caff.

7. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Fancy Funkin Chicken was ok, or at least the food was. Seemed to be popular with everyone (a more mixed crowd than a lot of restaurants in the centre)

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It was an independent cafe that was hugely popular with locals of all backgrounds and very affordable. I can see why that might not be your thing.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Every time I went past it was completely empty!

Louisgwinn24 likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I went past the vegan Pipoca place on Brixton Road and it looks so much better than the awful photo they've been using. The menu looked tasty too so I'll give it a go soon and do some better photos for them.

11. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Was usually half full when I went there. What I meant was it seemed to attract black and white patrons in similar numbers

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Blimey, the Beehive is busy in the afternoons. Shame about the Brexit propaganda stuck on every table, mind.

BusLanes likes this.
  13. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

I'm back in Brixton for the weekend and went to Pipoca for an enormous and very tasty breakfast, Pipoca Brunch -- home made baked beans, roasted veg, avocado dip and sour dough bread with garlic butter. Coffee wasn't good though. Definitely worth a visit though. They also have a 'packaging free' shop next door, which I feel is a bit gimmicky at the moment, but it has to start somewhere.

Anyway, I came here to ask for a recommendation for a tasty old school Chinese in the vicinity. I have spent too long in the land of tourist food (fish & chips, burger and chips, cheesey chips or just chips) and I need something with a bit of zing.

editor likes this.