Brixton food news: new restaurants, pop ups, cafes and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Onket, Dec 6, 2011.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's not many affordable cafes left in the centre of Brixton any more. The cafe in Market Row seems to be hanging on but I wouldn't gamble on it being there for long.

Gramsci likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

"Quite a few"? How many is that? 6? 9? I've only seen the one opposite the village entrance

Mind you, the part of Atlantic Road south of the Dogstar seems pretty safe from gentrification for a while. Like every business before it (apart from the much missed Kaff) that awful gravy dripping burger chain seems to be struggling (and turning to cocktail-shunting) ad there's considerably less footfall along that strip. There is however, a hyper trendy barbers who moved in a while ago and that dreadful, permanently empty 'trainers curating' Article place.

3. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

3 or 4 - some are in the stretch you mention.

4. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

the new vegan gaff on Brixton Road was open last night, didn't get a look at the menu
    But they seem to have gone for a industrial look which will probably appeal to fans of the Crib5 a few doors down.....
    image.jpeg

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's rather a cold looking affair, isn't it? Normally I associate vegan places with a more welcoming and brighter decor. I'll try and check it out soon though.

BusLanes likes this.
  6. cuppa tee

Opening hours are a bit mysterious, shut tonight when I passed.

editor likes this.
  7. Mrs Miggins

Mrs Miggins There's been a slight cheese accident

It's Monday. Lots of places are closed on a Minday aren't they? So they can have a night off on what is the quietest night of the week.

8. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

What’s the vegan place called?

9. cuppa tee

Pipoca

Gramsci likes this.
  10. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

same people as Senzala, think they're opening Wed - Sat

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Great name!

It could mean popcorn but then it could also mean:

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.
  13. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Went to the Barber of Seville the other month and they charged me £25 - up from about £15 last time I went, which was a bit of a shock. They said rent had gone up and now they charge by length/time (which isn't unfair I guess). Bit of a jump though

Gramsci likes this.
  14. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Really? That’s disappointing. Been using them for a while and they’re alright, but £25 for a barber haircut is not for me.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Blimey. That is a hefty jump but rents are going to keep on rising and posher businesses/chains are more likely to move in to service Brixton's more well off demographic.

Gramsci likes this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Teasingly, the old sign for George the barber on CHL has been revealed as the place is being refurbed.

Gramsci likes this.
  17. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Well to be fair I did have longish hair. Think trick with them would be to sort out price first. I just assumed it would be how it was

18. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Now George has gone and the other Greek Cypriot barber has gone from Loughborough road I've been using Barber of Seville.

Actually as regular now they appear to charge me around £10. But I have number two straightforward cut.

I can understand if they put up prices. Even long standing business may have to change prices to cope with rent increases. Its shit. I don't blame the business I blame landlords.

Take the NR arches. They promise business will come back. If they do they will likely have to put up prices. Cater for new demographic. Which will mean old long standing customers won't be able to afford it when they come back.

Gentrification isn't just about pushing out long standing business its also about long standing business changing to survive.

Which means social cleansing in an other way.

editor likes this.
  19. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

It was more the shock - you don't often go up a tenner for a haircut.

20. Gramsci

Where is this on Brixton road? My partner is vegan and its a problem finding somewhere that does vegan food.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

22. Gramsci

We went to Van Gogh a while back for the Sunday lunch. Its very good. Im not usually that keen on vegan food. Vegetarian I prefer as I eat cheese and eggs. But Van Gogh was exceptionally good imo. And its a genuine social enterprise. Friendly staff as well. Not to expensive.

editor likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep. They're the sort of businesses Lambeth should be attracting and encouraging people to support not all the hipster shit and faux independents.

Gramsci likes this.
  24. Gramsci

In the case of the row of shops opposite Barrier Block the middle ground is being lost. Everytime a shopkeeper goes its get a further encroachment of Nu Brixton coming up to my bit of CHL.

To add imo the middle ground was Brixton being having a lot of eateries etc and my bit of CHL being left alone.

I could live with that.

But with less places available for new eateries / cocktail bars in central Brixton its started moving up CHL.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    editor likes this.
  25. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The last lowish priced "traditional" one seems to be that one on Tulse Hill (Haircut Sir?)

Last time I went in there he whipped round with the electric clippers - no scissors - and I was out in about 10 minutes. Still cost the £9 + £1 "semi-compulsory" tip.
    Still looked the same short back and sides type of thing.

I'm wondering if I should challenge the local black barber at 252 CHL. Maybe he can sculpt a short-back-and sides for £10 or less using deft clipper manipulation?

editor likes this.
  26. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Traditional barbers are great for some kinds of haircut but not so much so if you want something a bit more elaborate, IME at least.

The Barber of Seville sat somewhere in between a hairdresser and a no-frills barber, which suited my needs fine, and at £16 their prices also was a fair middle ground between the two.

But if i have to pay £25 for them now I might as well fork out an extra fiver for a hairdresser and get a hairwash,scalp massage, and a haircut the stylist will be happy to spend a bit more time on.

Gramsci likes this.
  27. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Come down to George's in Streatham for all your gents barnet needs (opposite the big Tesco). I pay £12 + tip and leave looking like Cary Grant every time. Family run business, has been there since the 50s.

BusLanes and editor like this.
  28. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Anyone been to Paramount lately? Got some disappointed reviews on here when it opened, has that changed? Anywhere doing similar food in Brixton that's better?

29. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Not Brixton but Saray in Herne Hill is very good for Turkish food.

ringo likes this.
  30. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Fm mangal in camberwell too