Brixton food news: new restaurants, pop ups, cafes and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Onket, Dec 6, 2011.

1. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Koi Ramen?

2. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Yep. I've no bones with the quality! :)

3. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Possibly. I had a look at their menu earlier but it didn't look familiar. I know Koi Ramen has a big following on here so it might have been them

4. ash

ash Inittogether

Well you all persuaded me and I’m now a baba g convert the chips are amazing with the black salt. Being veggie I had the paneer which I’m not normally a fan of but was great with fresh spicy spinach the other half loved his chicken nan too. It travels well and good price - will definitely Deliveroo it again - thanks for the recommendation.
    I was also tempted by Donburi has anyone tried that?

SpamMisery likes this.
  5. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

The poppadum nachos are pretty cool too

6. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

After a brief closing, Lisboa Grill on Brixton Hill has "sort of" re-opened. Think its being run by the folk in the café next door.
    If you want to order you need to phone the number that is taped to a bit of paper by the till: 020 8678 9054. the restaurant also seems to be opened

The takeaway's not as good as the last incarnation (which in turn was not as good as the one before, which was not as good as the one before that) - but hey it's piri piri and it isn't Nandos

I will try again in a while to see if they are getting the hang of it

editor likes this.
  7. catriona

catriona chickweed

I recommend Yum-D in Market Row - great Thai noodles, fast, fresh, friendly & cheap. Tiny inside but you can sit outside in the arcade. Much better than Rosa's Thai or KaoSarn for me.

eatinbrixton and happyshopper like this.
  8. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

Absolutely. This is the real thing.

9. eatinbrixton

eatinbrixton Member

This is really one of our favourite places to eat in Brixton. No hype, just a focus on the food. Can’t believe it’s more than six years since we gave it a review - see here.

catriona and happyshopper like this.
  10. aka

aka Brixton Hill

Bring back Fujiyama! GRRRRR.

BusLanes likes this.
  11. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I thought Fujiyama had gone downhill in recent years. Food quality wasn't as good as it used to be.

12. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

The guy who set it up is occasionally at Herne Hill market better than Fujiyama

BusLanes likes this.
  13. aka

aka Brixton Hill

Oh yeh. They phoned it in at the end - but with the right ordering skillz I could get what I needed.

14. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Quite sad about that. Does anyone know what is replacing it? Seems like it's been shut for months now

15. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I could never understand the hype about Fujiyama. A bit unfriendly at times. Not very clean. Reliably decent comfort food but hardly spectacular. Questionable employment practices (see threads on service charge etc..). Always happy to go there but rarely my destination of choice.

16. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

There was a time when Fujiyama was one of the very few places in central brixton that you could go for dinner, unbelievable as that might seem to anyone who's moved to the area in the past 5-10 years.

So I'm not sure there was 'hype' about it - it was just that there were few other options.

BusLanes likes this.
  17. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Exciting news up the road in Loughborough junction.. just heard plans are afoot that harbour cycles is later this summer going to turn into ‘Harbour brunch bikes & books’ , with cafe in the front and children’s library. Fingers crossed this works would be great I think.

BusLanes and Angellic like this.
  18. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Yeah this. Particularly if you wanted to grab a bite to eat before a film at the Ritzy, there was Fujiyama or the Satay Bar (which I personally never rated and was very loud). Bamboula might have been around back then too. Goya was pretty cheap too (up Acre Lane) but not so quick.

As I've bored on about before, Brixton could only seem to support a single 'occasion' restaurant back then - 20 Trinity Gardens; then Versailles (same location); then Helter Skelter (Atlantic Rd); then Upstairs (Acre Lane).

BusLanes likes this.
  19. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

I always liked Pangaea pizza place on Atlantic Rd.

gaijingirl likes this.
  20. Winot

Yeah that was pretty good, but was quite short-lived from memory. A couple of years maybe?

21. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Yep, I remember those days well. There was a really nice little restaurant called Satay which was where Fujiyama is/was. And a short-lived but decent Italian inthe Kaff/Flip and Dip location.

22. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

I thought longer than that but then it was a long time ago.

23. Winot

Atlantic 66*, or before then?

(*had a foie gras on brioche starter, reviewed by Jay Rayner, gentrification before its time)

24. Ms T

Can’t remember if it was before or after Atlantic 66 or what it was called!

25. alcopop

Yeah, was nice restaurant

26. alcopop

Atlantico I think

27. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Lupo or some other wolf reference wasn't it?

28. alcopop

It was st Francis which then became lupus

29. theboris

theboris Well-Known Member

It was Lupo, I knew the team behind it, but unfortunately didn't last long. Great food, though

snowy_again likes this.
  30. Ms T

I liked it a lot.