Brixton food news: new restaurants, pop ups, cafes and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Onket, Dec 6, 2011.

1. RushcroftRoader

RushcroftRoader Well-Known Member

Hope this isn't too self promoting, but Guzzl, the food store in Brixton Village, is having a tasting evening tomorrow between 7pm and 9pm. 10% off everything in the store, a free glass of fizz and lots of things to sample. If you fancy coming along then please do register at so I know how much plonk to buy! You can find us between Full Moon Designs and Champagne and Fromage.
    Thanks
    Andrew

shakespearegirl and editor like this.
  2. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I’m away but will def come to the next one and pick up some vegan treats for the husband

3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I would agree with this.

"Meanwhile" don't have the press coverage of Turner/ Pop. They quietly get on with utilizing under used space in Loughborough Junction.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

*some off-topic posts moved to general Brixton thread.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

ash likes this.
  6. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It's a regular for me - far enough away from work to walk off the portion sizes!

editor likes this.
  7. ash

ash Inittogether

I’ve been quite a few times during the day they’ve got a lovely courtyard and I liked the inside but it looks stunning at night. The food is amazing consistently and lovely staff, it’s a good place to get some work done I’ve stopped there for a couple of hours if I’ve been between visits.

editor likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes, it's lovely there.

It's a shame that places like this - who really do something meaningful to contribute to the local community - often get overlooked in the foodie media. If Pop Brixton had been full of social enterprises like this, I'd have been as happy as can be!

9. eatinbrixton

eatinbrixton Member

I don't know if we qualify as "foodie media", but we have reviewed it recently. And we liked it, even though we are far from being vegans.

See here Café Van Gogh

editor likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm glad you liked it too, but please don't take offence! I was referring to the more popular press/Sunday supplements and all the PR-driven social media froth that seems to surround the opening of some public-schoolboy-backed venture in Pop Brixton or wherever.

PS. I liked your bacon sarnie piece - £2 from Sam's cafe and FIVE quid from Canova Hall!

11. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Unless it is struggling, what's the benefit of it being featured in the popular press? Surely it will just ensure that it is overtaken by postcode / foodie tourists?

alcopop and ash like this.
  12. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

Your blog is excellent and I’ve been using it for years. I wish there was something like it where I live now.

13. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

any recommendations of where you can sit outside in the evening, in the sunshine, and eat a meal in Brixton? nowhere silly that charges more than a tenner for a decent meal.

Could only really think of the POW terrace but their new pizza menu looks worse than it used to be, and the drinks on the terrace are served in reused, dirty, cracked, student union esque plastic cups.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you want the full middle class Clapham/Chelsea experience, you can graze outside Canova Hall in Ferndale Road. I'm figuring you don't, so for something a bit more Brixton, Kata Kata on Brixton Hill has a nice outdoor area (they're open till 10pm).

15. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Negril.

Typing that has made me hungry.

craigxcraig and editor like this.
  16. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

If you are happy with pub experience then Duke of Edinburgh has large beer garden/concrete terrace area not sure on the quality of the food, personally a picnic in Brockwell park would always be my pick maybe avoid that for few weeks !!

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Last time I went to the Duke the 'garden' was almost 100% tables!

18. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

Yeah they seem to have pushed as many benches in as possible. Understand the place wants to maximize space/profit but kinda ruined the atmosphere with rows and rows of benches. Anchor and Hope had pretty large garden as well.

editor likes this.
  19. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

I don't mind it. Feels a bit like a German beer hall

20. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for somewhere for grub this evening? Am a bit out of the loop with Brixton restaurants. Not curry, but anything else is good.

21. Rushy

I was pleasantly surprised by Rosas Thai the other day.

Went for lunch because the also very tasty Italian in Pop was closed.

colacubes likes this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Maharani and colacubes like this.
  23. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Smoke and Salt in Pop Brixton is great.

24. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Baba G in Pop Brixton is fantastic as well

SpamMisery and colacubes like this.
  25. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

This, or the Sicilian place opposite (is that where you meant Rushy?)

colacubes likes this.
  26. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Just looked that up as didn’t realise it was Bhangra burgers. It is great - had a Deliveroo from there the other night and it was fantastic.

27. Rushy

Yep. Something Trattoria.

Have to admit I didn't particularly enjoy Smoke and Salt. It was interesting and I'll definitely give it another go but suspect that it is targeted at a more sophisticated palate than mine!

28. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

If it's for sophisticated palates I might give that one a miss. I'm more a sort of Nando's girl usually :D

editor likes this.
  29. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I thought the food there was excellent

30. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

I really liked Baba G's. It's survives a deliveroo transport really well, which a lot of places don't.

And the dim sum from Pop is really good. Can't remember the name.