Brixton food news: new restaurants, pop ups, cafes and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Onket, Dec 6, 2011.

1. aka

aka Brixton Hill

it had the smell of desperation/hail mary/vanity project (pick one) from day one. nice burgers though.

wurlycurly likes this.
  2. djdando

djdando Well-Known Member

Stank of money laundering IMO

3. djdando

Jangleballix likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Long gone are the days when many grassroots start ups get a look in now...
    The White Rabbit Fund are all about 'PROVIDING CAPITAL AND ADVISORY SERVICES TO AMBITIOUS ENTREPRENEURS WITHIN THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY'.

5. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Brixton Village seems to have been a successful place for start ups to prove themselves and expand from (Honest Burger, Franco Manca, Kricket). For a grass roots start up to take on a property like the Brindisia site would be a huge undertaking, whilst the smaller units in the village are less risky and capital draining.

snowy_again likes this.
  6. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Is Kricket guy's mum behind White Rabbit? It's possible that I've missremembered but I think she's one of the dragons on Dragon's Den.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There seems precious little space for local grassroots start-ups in Brixton these days as the well heeled/well connected entrepreneurs seem to be first in the queue.

8. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

you appear to be correct Jenny Campbell (entrepreneur) - Wikipedia

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's quite a fluff piece full of backslapping references to her amazing charideeee work and achievements.

It puts to bed any notion that Kricket was some sort of plucky grassroots start-up from the Brixton community. In fact, Mummy bought up a multi-national ATM provider business in 2010 and has "received numerous business and industry awards for entrepreneurship," so there must be plenty of cash slopping around for any entrepreneurial offspring. Which must be nice.

10. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I didn't say it was a grass roots local start up. just a start up.

The original idea of Pop helping local grassroots start-ups was fantastic and such a lost opportunity. There should be space in any council funded/backed schemes like Pop that can legally only be occupied by small local start ups at peppercorn rent.

11. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Pretty comfortable here right under your skin

I imagine the arguments defining "local start-up" would fill many pages on here :(

elmpp and alcopop like this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Indeed. I was all for Pop Brixton until the grassroots local element was swiftly shunted to one side and the NZ wine importers, well connected entrepreneurs and property guardians turned up.

13. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Passing mention of Kricket in last weeks Times Money section in a profile of Jenny Campbell (paywall: TV dragon bites into red tape that stops teens finding Saturday jobs)

Don't know these people from Adam, but I guess that even people with rich / connected parents have the right to have a job / start businesses, though doubtless his path was smoother than for others. Either way, ate in Kricket once and it was excellent

14. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for places in brixton, around 15 quid a head which can do around 15ish people?.

15. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Yahalla on Coldharbour lane? Lebanese. If you give them a budget they'll sort out a good spread for the table. Lots of veggie options.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ya Hala on Coldharbour Lane has metamorphosed into Paramount (although I think that was its original name on Google Maps so maybe it's the same people). I hope this shizzy makeover hasn't resulted in the prices going up...

2018-04-25_200955.jpg

17. ash

ash Inittogether

Me too and the food quality - the food there was well nice

editor likes this.
  18. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

Alpes in Pop Brixton is half price until Sunday. Might be a good shout for the pissy weather coming up for the weekend.

I wish them luck in their new venture but I’m not sure how suited the food will be to a sticky London summer. I’d have waited until October to launch maybe.

19. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

A new shop/takeaway place called 'Vegan Crepes & Store' seems to be opening soon at roughly 232 Brixton Road. Can't see any mention of it online and I'm guessing at the road number as I was on a passing bus at the time.

20. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

it's the people who own Senzala in the market, they are hoping to open end of May

Casual Observer and editor like this.
  21. djdando

Yay. They’ll be classified as a chain now which means that we can start slagging them off.

elmpp likes this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I went to Senzala recently and was a tad underwhelmed. And it was fucking freezing in there too.

23. djdando

Like clockwork

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What's the matter with you? I'm expressing an honest opinion about a restaurant I recently spent money at that is currently being discussed here. :rolleyes:

25. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

See post #958 in this thread

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What's Katakata like? I keep meaning to visit.

katakata

27. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Its fab! Super cheap, all veggie and with some vegan stuff. V tasty. Big portions, but save room for the sweet gallettes.
    Strong coffee too. Friendly peeps

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Right, I'll definitely make a bigger effort then!

sparkybird likes this.
  29. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

I think you'll like it!

editor likes this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

My main disappointment with Senzala was that there wasn't much filling, so this place sounds much more like it!