1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton food news: new restaurants, pop ups, cafes and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Onket, Dec 6, 2011.

1. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Yes I was pleased with the price too. The bento box is huge - more than enough food for a whole meal. You are tempting me into a mid-week family meal out. :D Plus no kitchen at the moment due to building works.

ringo likes this.
  2. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Ha, go for it :D.
    And thanks for the heads up about my little one's prize for good behaviour last week too :thumbs:

gaijingirl likes this.
  3. ringo

Loved Kaosarn, thanks. Wish I'd known it was BYOB, but the lemongrass tea was nice anyway. Moo Ping was a bit rubbery, but the Khao Pad Kra-Praw Chicken was lovely :thumbs:

trabuquera likes this.
  4. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

The "tiny Thai place" is Yum-D, which I much prefer to Kaosarn.

ringo likes this.
  5. ringo

I had a look at that on my way back, looked alright.

Also spotted on Coldharbour Lane on my way home the new Lebanese place Ya Hala, by the Prince Of Wales. Looks great, and turns out to be the place a mate has been ranting about for the last four months.

6. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Ranting or raving?

7. ringo

A bit of both I think

8. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Ya-Hala looked to be a decent addition to the area when it first opened, the only thing i ever had was a takeaway kebab sandwich thing, which was average (stingy on the meat).

didnt entice me to return

9. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

i think it would be good if it was BYOB, it feels and looks like it could or should be the type of place that is.

10. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

I was severely dehydrated after eating there the last 2 times so I'm going to have to give it a miss now. Which is a shame as it's cheap.

11. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Negril are finally doing deliveries again. Ordered at 9.30 last night arrived in 20 minutes, all correct and still hot. When they last used to deliver it would take at least an hour to arrive.

sw16er and alex_ like this.
  12. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I think shakespearegirl is talking about the Thai place next door. The name escapes me (Yum D?) but it's good.

13. gaijingirl

yes, you are right - happyshopper already posted this above. :) Kamome is a Japanese restaurant of course - not Thai!! I'm all about the Japanese... :D

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  14. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Menu looks similar to Tokyo diner in Lisle street which I've always enjoyed

15. gaijingirl

Yes. Another goodie!

lefteri likes this.
  16. Winot

Went here today for first time. It's fine - nothing special. Reminded me of Tas.

ION Nanban are opening an express/takeaway hatch on Electric Lane.

17. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

I think being relatively affordable made it special, to me at least. Shame I don't like it more.

18. Winot

Yeah Fujiyama (RIP) offered better price/quality ratio.

19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Curious to know if anyone has tried Yokan the newish Japanese bar/eaterie next to the Shrub and Shutter.

They've taken to hanging a gaudy fish made of cloth outside - could poke your eye out on a windy day. They seem to have (presumably Japanese branded) keg ale but no idea of the prices of either food or drink.

There is also a Japanese restaurant in Market Row - Curry Ono though this seems empty a lot of the time, which might not be a good sign. It does however look 100% more spotless and welcoming than the Okan at 338 Coldharbour Lane as far as I am concerned.

Wish I could give a review.

20. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

Curry uno is lovely.

aussw9 and CH1 like this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Would you food-loving folks be interested in posting up your top 3 Brixton restaurants with a sentence explaining why? Might be a nice feature I could stick on Buzz (and link back here)...

22. aussw9

aussw9 Well-Known Member

Curry Ono is great, best japanese curry i've had in London

Okan on coldharbour is a sister restaurant to OKAN in the market. The market restaurant focuses on okonomiyaki, a japanese style cabbage based pancake. The coldharbour restaurant is more noodle focused (soba and ramen). Both venues are brilliant, however the okonomiyaki is better value in my opinion.

CH1 and editor like this.
  23. gaijingirl

Curry Ono is now called Kakome. I can highly recommend it (see my posts above). It's very authentic.

24. gaijingirl

Do you mean one of these?

[​IMG]

If so it's a koinobori (which is a kind of wind sock - so interesting that you mention wind above) - they are traditionally flown over houses on Children's on May 5th. They look stunning.

I have hung a very large one along the ceiling of my children's bedroom.

CH1 likes this.
  25. lefteri

Shame it's so expensive - I would love a place that did a decent ramen for 6-7 quid in my neighborhood

26. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Its a blue one of those.

27. aussw9

aussw9 Well-Known Member

From memory Koi Ramen might fit the bill? Was around £6 when they were on station road market... cant recall their prices in Pop

lefteri likes this.
  28. lefteri

Ah yeah forgot about that, stall was good

29. aka

aka Brixton Hill

30. lefteri

Was going to go tonight but rain drove us into kakome which was great although they gave us soba when ramen was ordered plus the lighting in there is far too bright