1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton food news: new restaurants, pop ups, cafes and more

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Onket, Dec 6, 2011.

1. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

Owned by the same person that has the not so good dumpling place in Market Row, so don't be expecting anything great going by what that place currently serves.

2. madolesance

Looks like it was originally a 'Pop Up' type of place that has probably secured some funding that will turn it into 'bricks and mortar' type of place conveniently next to the large office of architects that will be moving into their new office on Ferndale Road come 2017. Bit of a targeted location move.

3. SpamMisery

SpamMisery Well-Known Member

Looked like they had cookery classes on when I went past

4. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

Does Mama Lan still exist? Best dumplings and chicken wings for miles. Definitely one of my favourite eating places in Brixton.

5. madolesance

Maybe they do. Next time you walk past, have closer look and report back.

6. madolesance

Mama Lan is still there in the market and has expanded into other part of London. They are probably bringing the best dumplings and wings to now a much larger area..

7. organicpanda

organicpanda Well-Known Member

more curiosity than anything else, it would take a lot for me to stop supporting Ichiban tbh

madolesance likes this.
  8. madolesance

Would love to have a http://http://kulukulusushi.com/thurloe.htm in Brixton. Cheap, great selection and very tasty.

organicpanda likes this.
  9. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

They opened a branch in Clapham a while ago. Do you know where else they have opened?

10. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Walked past today and it's a dim sum and Chinese hotpot place. Not sure if it's open yet but if not, it's about to. There's a handwritten sign outside saying all you can eat for £23.99 (for two people).

brixtonblade likes this.
  11. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I quite like Happy Dumpling! The noodles are quite good and the owner loves hendo so we always get a big bag of free spring rolls to take home.

12. organicpanda

organicpanda Well-Known Member

I'm not so keen on it after getting food poisoning from there :mad:

13. blameless77

blameless77 Well-Known Member

Edited, as it's true, it's only my opinion due to the smell of the place...

Utterly disgusting food and overpriced too.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You're going to need to back that up pretty sharpish for what I hope are obvious reasons.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  15. djdando

djdando Well-Known Member

Sharpish? What on earth are you going to do about it.

For the record I and my compadres too think Happy Dumpling is a dump. Had the worse meal there. In fact we told two tables who sat down next to us to leave before they ordered. Thankfully they did.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

To accuse a restaurant owner of being a thief and using stolen cooking oil is clearly extremely defamatory and such claims endanger this website and leave it liable to legal action. Perhaps this may not bother you but it bothers the fuck out of me.

17. djdando

djdando Well-Known Member

I don't think Crappy Dumplings will be taking you to the small claims court.

PS. I also saw them steal oil. Loads of it. Non-hydrogenated vegetable oil. Totally unacceptable.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Call the police then. And then when they're charged you're free to post up that claim. I'm not sure why you're being such a dick about this.

alex_ likes this.
  19. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

maybe they have a sideline in biofuel in which case it would be recycling or repurposing......

20. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Just noticed this place on Acre Lane:

Welcome

Not sure how long it's been there.

21. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

its been there a while - maybe 6 months?. I walk past every Thursday at 7pm and it never seems very busy, although I guess 7pm is early to eat out for most people (apart from me!)

Winot likes this.
  22. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

I agree. But I can safely say that I've found HD is one the worst places to eat in Brixton. I've eaten there at least three times over the years, going back to when it was just a single tiny unit with one table and set of chairs. Each time I've gone back thinking/hoping that it can't really have been that bad. But each time it was.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've got no problem with people saying that the food is awful and the place a shithole, but unsupported allegations of criminality put the site of risk, hence my comments.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

:mad:

25. ash

ash Inittogether

Anyone got any news on the Lebanese that's supposed to be opening on CHL?

26. sparkybird

Ouch, sounds painful!!

spitfire and editor like this.
  27. sparkybird

I just had lunch in there today. Would recommend. Mr SB had a chicken and lamb wrap/sandwich which he said was excellent - £4.25. I had veggie moussaka - aubergines, chickpeas and tomato sauce with rice £8.45. The aubergines were exactly like the ones I have a Turkish places in N London - soft, smokey and delicious.
    Had a quick chat to the manager who said they hadn't really intended to open, but did so on Friday night and then had to close at 10 pm as they were so busy! The have another branch in Paddington and were looking for somewhere central for their next branch (not quite sure how they got to Brixon then!) but were surprised there were not any/many Lebanese places around the area. It was busy - pretty much all tables taken despite workmen still hanging doors, and they do take outs. Compared to Fancy Fucking Chicken opposite which was DEAD, I think they will do well.

Got a free baklava on the way out too :)

28. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Just had an early dinner there after the cinema. I had lamb with rice and salad, mr shakes a couple of veggie wraps. Excellent food. Very friendly manager and staff, still finding their feet though. I had two free baklava as mr shakes can't eat them.

madolesance, colacubes and sparkybird like this.
  29. madolesance

Had lunch there today. Food was delicious and cheap.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

My friends went on the weekend and said the food was good and reasonably priced although the portions weren't super massive.

I'll definitely check it out soon.