1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Brixton flatshare thread

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by haushoch, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

Wow. That's obscene if not surprising. Interesting and apt choice of user name.

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

£1600 each? nah!

3. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

No, for the property.

4. Orang Utan

5. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Can you give any context to 'stunning' please?

Stunning
    1. Causing or capable of causing emotional shock or loss of consciousness.
    2. Of a strikingly attractive appearance.

If someone came to see this expensive flat would they be shocked? Is it possible they may lose consciousness?

marty21 likes this.
  6. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I'm afraid to say that £369/wk doesn't seem out of proportion for a good spec flat in the current market. Looks pretty large, in great condition, very light, views, ensuite, close to tube (although on a busy road - looks like it is the top floor one above Sainsburys). Really good two beds are going for over £400/wk because there is not much good stuff available. You can still pick one up for around £300/wk but you need to be either really lucky or put up with something not very well maintained and small.

Definitely a dreadful choice of username though.

7. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

No garden, and look at the tiny size of the second bedroom!

This sort of place was going for about £1400 at the start of the year - now it's £1600. That's what's happening around here.

8. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

I really hope our landlord doesnt decide to give us notice anytime soon. We wouldn't be able to afford to stay in Brixton at those prices :(

9. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

^ this :(

10. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Our old place on Brixton Water Lane went up 28% when we moved out this spring :(

11. Thimble Queen

You should be alright where you are **** hardly ever puts the rent up. Only once in the time I lived there. I don't reckon they'll sell anytime soon either :)

12. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

:cool:

13. Frumious B.

Frumious B. Well-Known Member

There was a beautiful 2 bed flat in Rushcroft Road going recently. I reckon it's a little bigger than the one above and it's in a much better location if you ask me. It has a better kitchen but only one bathroom. And I don't suppose it has much of a view. They were asking 1500 a month.

14. Thimble Queen

Thats cheap for rushcroft these days. I know of one that was going for 2200 per month. It was a 2 bed but let as a three bed with no lounge :/

15. Frumious B.

Frumious B. Well-Known Member

Fuck, that's robbery. Who'd pay over 700 a month for a place with no lounge?

16. Thimble Queen

Nu brickers >_<

17. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Wow, London is expensive!

18. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

That's mental. What a rooms going for in shared houses?

19. Orang Utan

I would, for a studio. You'd be lucky to get one for that though.

20. Thimble Queen

This is for a flat share though. Its silly money for a room :/

21. Orang Utan

Yeah I know, that's why I said 'studio'. And when I said 'pay',
    I meant the state, not me. :D
    They wouldn't pay that much for a houseshare - all you get is £85 a week. Does anyone know of any flatshares that cost £340 a month HB? No? Thought so. :mad:

22. Thimble Queen

There are still cheap places around but ime they get passed on word of mouth

23. SophiaP

SophiaP New Member

24. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

Looking for a room or studio flat in Brixton or nearby urgently, preferably to move in this side of Christmas.

25. Brixton Hatter

There was one in the window of Brixton Wholefoods a day or two ago. I'll have a look tomorrow to see if it's still there, if you want...

26. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

Cheers mate I'm just round the corner from there now, I'll go have a look.

27. MillwallShoes

MillwallShoes Don't kill the Lion

i lived in a room in brixton for about 280 a month in about 2004. what's the price now?

did someone on here also say their brixton flat has gone up 180k in 8 years?

mental.

28. Brixton Hatter

I paid about £180/£200 in 1997. £500 or £600 in a shared house seems normal now. Some two beds are £1500+ a month now... :(

29. tbtommyb

tbtommyb Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of any reasonable priced rooms going in the New Year in the Brixton/Brixton-ish area? Not sure I really want to stay where I am so looking for somewhere new.

30. MillwallShoes

MillwallShoes Don't kill the Lion

cheers