Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. editor

editor hiraethified

Overheard (or rather boomed out) in Federation: "Ya I want to move to Loughborough Junction because it's a place in motion and my Dad will pay for it. The property will have to have a roof terrace though. Or maybe I'll look at Herne Hill."

*drank coffee through gritted teeth

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

FFS :mad::mad:

Is "place in motion" the new edgy and vibrant? :rolleyes::D

3. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Exactly what Federation and cupcake shops etc are indirectly promoting isn't it? Hardly suprising.

4. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

You wait until Hummus-U-Like opens :(

5. Minnie_the_Minx

Would that be Hummus as the Americans pronounce it?

Maybe we'll have a Krispy Kreme shop next?

6. editor

editor hiraethified

How are Federation "indirectly promoting" people to move into Loughborough Junction?

:confused::confused::confused:

7. editor

editor hiraethified

I've never heard the phrase before, but it seems that's what it means.

:facepalm:

8. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Dude, buy a machine. Or get it to go (I presume the Americanism has won out over "take away" or "take out" in such businesses).

9. Minnie_the_Minx

Same as. I shall be watching with interest if it becomes the new "in phrase" when describing areas that were formerly edgy and vibrant :D

Guaranteed it's some media type that coined it :rolleyes:

10. twistedAM

"indirectly promoting" wasn't perhaps the best phrase kanda could have used but you do know that businesses such as those help put the area IN MOTION

11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I have never ever heard the term 'place in motion' used in reference to an area or property.

But I would never have seen this film about Plymouth without this post: http://www.starnow.co.uk/timmarks/video/65407/

12. editor

editor hiraethified

You mean Federation Coffee will grow wheels and motor up and down Coldharbour Lane to Loughborough Junction, sprouting roof terraces en route?

Personally, I'd describe Loughborough Junction as stalled with a dodgy starter motor and knackered tryes.

13. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

You're right, it wasn't the best term, I just didn't want to say that they were actively promoting it, nor 'people moving to LJ' specifically, it is as Twisted says the sort of business cropping up recently that put the area 'IN MOTION'

quality phrase lol!

14. nick h.

nick h. Eat

Why oh why oh why didn't I buy somewhere in Loughborough Junction when it was just a nest of crackheads?

15. twistedAM

Amended for you;)

TwistedAM - motivating future generations of trustfunders.

16. ericjarvis

ericjarvis give a feck for the feckless

Because you didn't have any spare cash last week?

17. malice

malice Well-Known Member

Not sure, but I think Amazonica on Brixton Road has been renamed or turned into something else - spotted a new sign when I went passed on the bus earlier .

18. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Motion used to commonly mean the act of defecating so perhaps we've come back to the nappy spat after all......

19. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I went to the new Thai place in BV on Saturday - its opening day. It was very nice indeed.

20. TruXta

TruXta tired

Ooo will have to try that out! Craving some proper Thai food after our sojourn there over Crimbo/NY.

21. Minnie_the_Minx

Do they do takeaways?

22. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

yes you're right - the builders have been in for a few days and there's now a new sign. cant remember the name on it, but it's something dodgy like 'Aqua Bar'.

23. Pip

Pip Well-Known Member

Nooooooooooooooooo :(

24. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Nooooooo here too. Really nice owners and staff, plus heftier portions than you could shake a fat stick at. Seemed to have a loyal crowd in there, even if I did never brave an evening salsa session with the Colombians.

Could be the same people I guess, but I'm not entirely helpful

25. Brixton Hatter

:D:D

Yeah it is pretty shabby, esp around the station/junction area. However there's loads of Edwardian and Georgian houses in the side streets, many pretty sorry looking, which are ripe for redeveopment and probably cheap enough for Daddy to buy. Give it 15 years and I reckon I could be sipping cappuccinos outside the station while my mates get organic cider from the LJ Farmers Market and the kids tuck into fancy locally-made cup cakes.

26. Brixton Hatter

Yeah, it's not clear whether the owners have simply rebranded themselves, or whether it's totally new owners doing a new thing, but the effect of the shiny sign with a fat rounded typeface is more one of "Ibiza holiday bar" than latin food place.

27. Pip

Pip Well-Known Member

It's not called Aquum is it? There's one in Clapham with fat rounded typeface. If it is I'm gonna suicide bomb somewhere, no joke.

28. Minnie_the_Minx

Someone callled Becky isn't/wasn't happy with their service

http://beccas-things-i-eat.blogspot.com/2010/06/amazonica.html

Shocking behaviour. They didn't turn the tv off when requested :D

29. Minnie_the_Minx

Sounds fucking awful. Look at the reviews

:rolleyes:

30. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

yeh it does sound awful.