1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton BID launches its 'Urban Spaces Manual'

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jul 14, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Bosh! 'Vibrant' in the first para!

I don't really understand phrases like "a culturally vibrant public realm," "Creative Wayfinding,"and "a flexible framework for funders, creative partners and stakeholders to guide the incremental delivery of numerous design propositions over the short, medium and long term; and at various funding levels".

You can view the PDF here: http://www.brixtonbid.co.uk/version...7/Out_25_Brixton-Urban-Spaces_170626_LR-1.pdf

2017-07-14_161011.jpg

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Uh-oh:
    Isn't just a 'green space' enough?

Wait, there's more:
    2017-07-14_161439.jpg

Double uh-oh:

3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

An issue I have with this is when it says improve central Brixton to live in. Residents who live in central Brixton have no representation on the Brixton BID board. This vision for Brixton is not democratically accountable to those who live in Brixton BID area.

Secondly these master plans for Brixton imo should be done by the Council. Which is accountable to local residents.

Its as though Brixton BID is now running Brixton. Not elected Cllrs.

At last Brixton Neighborhood Forum central Brixton residents were complaining that they were not being listened to by the authorities. At least with Council they can vote them out. Not so with Brixton BID.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    editor and Pickman's model like this.
  4. Gramsci

It's also like Brixton BID is an extension of the Council. Rather than a lobby group arguing for the interests of Brixton business.

editor and Pickman's model like this.
  5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

If so do they have to tender out their "consultancies"? Nice to know how much OutDesign charged to produce this.

Also the stuff about redeveloping the park outside the barrier block has been round before - there was a competition for schools and the community to come up with suggestions three or four years ago. Brixton BID is supposed to be about shops and traders - why are they branching out to landscape gardening outside the barrier block? And who will pay for it - another POP Brixton perhaps? Green Oasis and all that!

I would say the existing park has a lot going for it - there are about 50 trees and no gates to fret about not locking.

The main blot on the landscape is the car wash. The freehold of the site belongs to Lambeth but is leased to a property company in Stanmore, and there lease has about 40-50 years left to run apparently.

editor and Gramsci like this.
  6. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

They claim to represet 700 businesses.

Those businesses pay (because they have to) but BID does not represent them. BID is just an extension of the Council trough.

CH1, DietCokeGirl, sealion and 2 others like this.
  7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Bigger snouts

8. djdando

djdando Well-Known Member

Hopefully what they mean is that it isn't used well. That car wash should go and the area should be properly landscaped so it can be used as a proper public amenity.

CH1 likes this.
  9. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

Brixton BID are a glorified protection racket. I'm yet to see any value or benefit they bring. Feel free to correct me if anyone can think of any examples.

Gramsci, sealion and Sirena like this.
  10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The space already has 2 hand crafted dinosaur eggs, courtesy of the section 106 on "The Viaduct". Please don't encourage them to create the Lambeth version of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon - funded by alcoholic shipping containers.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  11. Gramsci

I was chatting to a local businessman about BID. Told him that BID are doing extra cleaning of streets in central Brixton. He made good point that he's already paying for that through his business rates. Now he's paying twice for it.

editor likes this.