1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton (and surrounding area) vet recommendations

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Orang Utan, Jun 15, 2007.

1. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

I was with Norwood Rd vets between Tulse Hill and Herne Hill (corner of the park) and they were brilliant in helping me look after an old cat and very sensitive when the time came. Would recommend.

2. Southsidesallie

Southsidesallie New Member

Jumping in here to say that unfortunately I cannot recommend Brockwell vets after my recent experiences with them.

For two years I took my cat there for treatment of her renal condition. In December 2013 the vet identified what turned out to be a malignant cancer on my cat's stomach. However, for some reason they did not inform me about their observations or concerns.

By the time my cat's symptoms had become pronounced, and the cancer diagnosed by another vet (by this time I had moved), she was in a perilous condition and had to be put down within a week of diagnosis.

A spokesperson from Brockwell vets has explained to me that cancers such as this are generally untreatable. They also noted that they asked me to return for a subsequent check-up.

However I do not understand why I only learned of their suspicions about my cat's cancer after it had reached a critical condition (and when a receptionist consulted the vet's notes at my request). Why did they not voice their concerns to me, and give me a chance to act in the best interests of my beloved pet?

3. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

That's really bad form Southsidesallie. I would certainly be disappointed and pissed off too if they spotted a cancer and didn't tell me about it. That's dreadful :(

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

*merging current threads as I'm looking for a vet for my kitten. I used the RSPCA place in Norwood for free microchipping but am looking for somewhere local (and affordable) for the unpleasant nut essential debollocking procedure. Any recommendations? I don't mind travelling a couple of miles.

5. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

London Animal hospital, new place off camberwell end of coldharbour is very good but if you want genuinely affordable go to Celia Hammond in Lewisham

editor likes this.
  6. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Never used them for anything very complicated, but the Goddard Veterinary Surgery branch on 212 Brixton Hill SW2 1HE was (relatively) affordable and functional for my late loan cat and sensitive with the horrible process of putting him down. In happier times, treated him quickly and efficiently for an infected bite from scrapping with neighbour cats. Never had to deal with anything more complex or long term, so I don't know what they're like with multiple tests or medication or accident care.

I have no idea about how good/expensive they are compared to other vets, and the premises are poky and basic, but at least it's reasonably near to central Brixton.

editor likes this.
  7. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

We have been with Goddards for around 5 years. They were great with our young cat who got cancer and he became very popular with the staff there throughout his year of treatment.

8. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Another vote for Goddards. Our old cat was there and they were great. Only reason I don't use them now is cos I moved and they're just a It far for me now.

9. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

The nurses there were really caring of Stinky and got very upset when we had to have him put down. They certainly have a sense of humour too. Once when I took Stinky in, I told them our other cat had broken into the food cupboard and eaten a whole bag of catnip. No need to bring him in, his stonedness would wear off in a few hours

10. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

I habitually use brockwell vets (right opposite Herne hill train Station ) they're fine but don't seem very affordable tbh, though I don't know really as have nothing much to compare with.

11. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

I'd also recommend the London Animal Hospital in Camberwell. It's just opened. It's an offshoot of Cuffe vets on Abeville Road.

12. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

My ex chose Cuffes. She's a vet herself (non domestic) and checked several before selecting.

13. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

We use Cuffes for our cats. They're very good, but I don't know how they compare money-wise.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

bimble likes this.
  15. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

There are so many grants/charitable funds for cat neutering that I would expect any vet to find a way to do it at no cost to you if you say you can't afford it. I'd try Brockwell vets, easy to get to on the 322. I've also had free treatment from Blue Cross in Pimlico.

editor likes this.
  16. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Cuffe's new London Animal Hospital (Kenbury Street, Camberwell, SE5 9BS - just off Coldharbour Lane) is having an open day on Friday 28th July, 14:00-19:00. This from their blurb:

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've quoted £115 for the bollock-snip. That's high, no?

18. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

£20 at Celia Hammond - probably worth the trip

19. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Don't know. Our cats came from Battersea 14 years ago so got snipped (at Cuffes) for free.

20. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I've just looked and it's £65 at my vets so it does seem a bit on the high side. I'd try a couple of other places.

21. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Yeah that's high, can't remember what I paid that sad day but am sure Brockwell Vets wasn't as much as that.

22. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

£115 for snipping the nads off a furry ginger lad? That's very definitely a gentrifier's price.
    This thread How much does neutering cost? suggests that a range of £30-£80ish is standard - obviously spaying girl cats costs more and prices are higher in posh areas. But £115?!?!?!?!? :eek: :mad:

editor likes this.
  23. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm going with Goddards on Brixton Hill. Both them and the Streatham Hill vets charged a far more reasonable fee of around £60, making Cuffes a right fucking royal rip off.

colacubes and trabuquera like this.