1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton (and surrounding area) vet recommendations

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Orang Utan, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Can anyone recommend a decent vet?
    Is Cuffe, the one on South Lambeth Road, next to Stockwell Station, any good?

2. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Brockwell Vets are fantastic - never had any complaints. Almost directly opposite Herne Hill train station on Railton Road.

http://www.brockwellvets.co.uk/

How's your little girl today?

3. Orang Utan

She's quiet but growling occasionally - she's still in a lot of pain though, poor little mite - she's sat on my window ledge and won't eat or drink :( :(

4. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

:(

Goddards on Brixton Hill are good as well.

5. Orang Utan

Cheers everyone - settled with Cuffes in the end cos they were first on my list and answered the phone straight away

6. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Norwood Road vets are wicked.. for future reference.

7. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I think he was the vet who used to treat my cat years ago when he worked in Kennington.If its still the same guy hes very good.Treated my cat after he got knocked over by a car-he survived after losing 8 out of 9 lives:) .

8. Pat24

Pat24 Brixtonian

I'm taking my two kitties there this satuday for their first check up.

Has anyone taken their pets there and are they good? :)

I've never taken pets to the vet before (my mum used to take care of that hehe)

It'd be nice to know others' experiences with this surgery so I know what to expect.

Thank you nice people :)

9. story

story Changing the facts

The one by Herne Hill station?

I take my cats there. Never had any problem with them.

Management has changed a few times in the twenty years I've been going there. The current team have always been helpful and kind with the veterinary stuff, but sometimes the counter staff are a bit uppity :) (y'know, like they're doing me a favour by taking my money off me).

But they're very animal friendly :)

10. Pat24

Pat24 Brixtonian

yeah story, that's the one... thanks for your reply :)

11. colacubes

We took a couple of stray kittehs we found at the back of the station in there and they were ace :)

12. gaijingirl

We've used them for the past (almost) 6 years.. no problems at all. Actually they've been really helpful and nice to us on some hairy occasions - also have pretty good hours. Bit pricey though but I hear that's the story with vets in general.

13. dogmatique

dogmatique merde alors

We changed from Goddard's on Brixton Hill to Brockwell, and we're glad we did - it's a bit further for us to go, but they don't quite charge as much and will deal directly with your insurers, which Goddard's wouldn't unless it was Petplan. Some of the staff can be a bit dippy - ie giving our cat basket to another customer and seeming surprised when we were a bit annoyed, but no real biggie.

Having a small cattery downstairs is also useful - but only for short breaks as there's no natural light.

All things considered we quite like them.

14. Pat24

Pat24 Brixtonian

thanks for all your replies :)

15. story

story Changing the facts

Now to more important matters:

What about the kittehs? Pics? :) :mad:

16. Pat24

Pat24 Brixtonian

LOL! True - I will post photos and boast about my lovelies when i get home later :D

17. Pat24

Pat24 Brixtonian

My cuties!!:)

Attached Files:

18. colacubes

Kittehs :D :cool:

19. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

Just bumping this thread to see if there are any more opinions on them as I'm thinking of changing vets.

20. gaijingirl

yeah.. we are still using them - have been ever since we got the cats. Have never had any reason to want to change. One of our cats - Machka - has some kind of inherent lung problem (or something) and we've had to take her in quite a few times and they've been really good to be honest (although it's always been pricey, but like I said above, I think that's fairly normal). Also their opening hours are pretty good and they're just really conveniently located for us - having all those other shops/PO/train station etc etc nearby is really helpful - a visit there tends to be easily slotted in to a general shopping trip. But I'm over there a lot - I would have thought there would be something closer to you that's ok?

21. RubyToogood

Well I'm currently with Paxton vets in Gipsy Rd, but actually that's a long inconvenient walk or a very infrequent bus. I'm pissed off with them at the moment and looking to change. Brockwell is actually on the no 3 bus route so in a lot of ways less hassle. Also it's the vets Brian started his life with.

22. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

I use them and I also buy my cat's food from there, though I'm sure they once told me that they delivered...
    They are expensive but there's no such thing as a cheap vet. My cat is really old and uninsured and I thought they were very good in not recommending unnecessary treatments. Also, because she is so old they're careful in not upsetting her with needles and suchlike unless they have to. I can't complain about the treatment.
    I could complain about the counter staff and on them giving me a shoddy kitten but we did love the kitten so *shrug*
    We don't live close to the shop but it's worth the bus ride.

23. gaijingirl

Nothing in CP itself?

24. gaijingirl

:D A shoddy kitten? Was it badly dressed? Poor manners?

25. RubyToogood

No. Paxton is it.

I had a crap incident with them recently which involved me making a totally wasted trip down there. Then the current vet Brian is seeing doesn't seem to have read his notes at all.

26. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

[​IMG]

27. gaijingirl

blimey... I think when you ditch your current job you should open a vets' surgery on the triangle - you'll rake it in!

Might as well go for Brockwell Vets until then!

28. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

:D
    No it was sickly. They found a stray with a litter and rehomed the kittens. Unfortunately one of them had a heart problem but they didn't tell about it until ShiftyJunior and I went to collect to, having already been to visit and stroke it and coo over it and call it ours. They charged me nearly £200 for it too.
    It then caught every cold it could and had lots of eye infections so it cost me MORE money.
    The cat is still going strong but the fucker ran away as our neighbours started feeding it. That was our first cat. For our second we adopted a nice, calm, old one. She's not running anywhere :)

gaijingirl likes this.
  29. RubyToogood

Hm well I retract what I said about Paxton after a chat with the nurse who explained things to me a bit better when I went in to pick up a repeat prescription. Vet apparently is a locum which was why she hadn't read the notes.

30. jiffjaff

jiffjaff New Member

I have used them for about 6 or 7 years. They used to be great but now there's new management I'm not so keen on - seems like they want to flog you lots of products and not that sensitive about how your pets are doing. I leave feeling like I didn't have the right conversations about care because I was fending off sales chat.