1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton academy sound quality

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by sparkybird, Nov 11, 2017.

1. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

I have been lucky enough to go to 3 gigs this week (and now I'm knackered).
    Last night I was at the Academy and really felt the sound was muffled/poor compared to the other venues (Roundhouse and Hammersmith Apollo)

Anyone else think the same? Could it be the acoustics rather than the speakers?

Off out to the Hootannany later... I'll report back ;)

mrs quoad and Maharani like this.
  2. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

Yep, acoustics in there are bloody awful.

3. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

There are a good few sweet spots in there but yeah, outside those spots it’s not great and it can be really pony in there even in the sweet spots.

But it’s still my facourite room.

mrs quoad likes this.
  4. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

spitfire likes this.
  5. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

It’s amazing these huge venues get it so wrong. Was in KT forum last night and the sound was bad unless you right in the middle at the back. Not so easy to see shit when you’re a 5’2er though

mrs quoad likes this.
  6. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

From memory, don't they bring everything in for each production at the Academy?
    The room def sounds better when full. I think it's my favourite too.
    Maharani, the best place for a punter will always be just in front of the sound desk.

7. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

I haven’t been to the academy in about a year over, but always thought the sound was pretty good and I’m usually at the front when I’m there.

mrs quoad likes this.
  8. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

No installed PA there, it’s whatever is brought in by the production. So that’s one variable.

It’s a right bastard of a room to mix in. Very odd acoustics. Which is another.

DJWrongspeed, mrs quoad and spitfire like this.
  9. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

i was under the impression it is a "dry venue", and that each event arranges its own sound system etc.

The last time i was there for a trance night and it nowhere near loud enough.

mrs quoad likes this.
  10. jimbarkanoodle

I was in the Electric Brixton on Saturday night, and that also seemed quiet, when i have been in there several times in the last year and thought it was nice and loud.

Wonder what the deal is there? depends on the sound guy the promoter uses?

mrs quoad likes this.
  11. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Only go to the academy for the atmosphere. Last time I went was for SFA and I made sure to stand by the mixing desk cos I wanted to be able to hear them properly.

mrs quoad likes this.
  12. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Sound quality is absolutely dreadful at most venues. Often find myself at gigs wondering what the point is when it would sound a hundred times better at home.

The best acoustics in a large venue I've experienced were actually at the O2 in Greenwich. Enormous space but the sound was quite impressively sharp. It was Leonard Cohen though so perhaps it was just that the air had been infused with his charisma.

sealion, mrs quoad and bimble like this.
  13. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I saw him there too. The sound is excellent at the O2 but often there's zero atmosphere. It's like sitting in a large living room with an excellent sound system. The opposite of the Academy.

14. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Blame ever tighter budgets that don't allow for a dedicated system tech on a tour.

mrs quoad likes this.
  15. Lizzy Mac

Bands or venue production normally provide sound and lights. Which could be the promoter in smaller venues.

16. teuchter

Having each production bring in its own sound system sounds like a completely nuts way of doing things. Is that really what happens? How can that make any sense whatsoever?

17. jimbarkanoodle

Different requirements i suppose. For example, s D&B night is going to want a completely different set up to a pop concert.

sealion likes this.
  18. teuchter

Sure, but also the setup for the same production in two different venues is going to be very different if done properly. It would seem to me that it would make sense for each venue to have the necessary equipment to accommodate a number of different types of event, and also the knowledge of how that stuff is best set up in each case. Seems crazy to be continually lugging loads of sound equipment around in lorries if that's what happens.

19. 3Zeros

3Zeros Active Member

I was there too. It was pretty awful. We tried a few different spots throughout the venue and found all disappointing. It seemed the speaker stacks were pointed in and down on the main floor but it was too packed to get anywhere near it.

There's definitely a difference between the capacity that they are allowed to safely fill the venue and the capacity at which everyone there will enjoy it.

20. jimbarkanoodle

the queue for the smoking area was borderline dangerous, hundreds of people trying to squeeze out of that tiny door. Do they still let a few people smoke out the front? i remember when it first opened you were allowed to

21. 3Zeros

3Zeros Active Member

Not as far as I know. We were going to stick around for more of Simian Mobile Disco, but took one look at the queue for the smoking area and decided it was time to go.

22. Lizzy Mac

If you are a big band on tour it makes total sense.
    Smaller venues tend to have an in house team which makes sense for them.

23. Lizzy Mac

When a band gets big they want control everything.
    Just ask a support band who aren't allowed to touch anything. Ha.

snowy_again, planetgeli and spitfire like this.
  24. teuchter

If bands want "control" but also don't want to spend on people that know what they're doing, then the system only seems to make "total sense" from the point of view of the vanity of the performers. Because what we end up with is a horrible mess.

25. Lizzy Mac

They do spend, they bring their own crew and gear with them.
    If you are on a big tour you can’t risk rolling up to each venue in the morning, with doors at 7 and an unknown system and staff. Too much can go wrong in too little time.