British Pie Week

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Maggot, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Cheese and potato pie?
    Cheese and onion pie?

I like a potato, broccoli and cheese pie. Boiled up in some veggie stock.

marty21, PippinTook and Rosemary Jest like this.
  2. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

How about a butter pie? (Potato, onion, eggs, butter in a pie)

I used to regularly chat to a very elderly gentleman in my local pub, and when his daughter came to stay with him for him for a while to care for him we became a bit friendly, and knowing that Nate didn't eat meat, she gave us a butter pie that she had made for us - she is from Blackpool and it apparently it's a bit of a thing in Lancashire.

It was bloody delicious. Probably shortened my life by a few years, but worth it! :D

3. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Made a massive beed and mushroom pie last night We scoffed the lot before it could be photoed.

Badgers likes this.
  4. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

An egg has no place in a butter pie :mad:
    When I moved to London in the 80s, I was horrified by the lack of butter pies and had to have supplies sent down.
    My mum won't eat 'em as she associates them with catholicism (they used to be know as Friday pie) and is vehemently anti-religion. :D

5. Epona

Oh gosh I think the one I was given had egg in it (beaten and poured in over the spuds), I hope I've not caused any upset!

marty21 and Badgers like this.
  6. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Right perverse weirdo

I'm as fundamentalist as the next imam about some things but you can't insist that a pie should have pastry top, bottom, and sides. That would exclude shepherd's pies and fish pies, topless pies like bacon and egg pie, as well as close-fitting pie crusts that were cooked with the contents at some point.

This is the problem. Someone lobbed a flaky afterthought onto a bowl of stew and passed it off as a pie.
    [​IMG]

Bastards!

7. Epona

I do feel the need to point out that the term "Cottage Pie" is an umbrella term that refers to "any leftovers or other stuff you can bake under a potato topping". There was a period of time in the 18th century when potatoes were plentiful and cheap and wheat/flour was more expensive, so the culinary tradition of baking stuff under a potato crust instead of pastry was born.

Traditionally speaking, in terms of the original use of the term Cottage Pie, it could involve any meat, fish, or vegetables, as long as it was topped with potato. The different terms "Shepherds Pie" and "Fish Pie" came into being quite a while later. So both Shepherds Pie and Fish Pie, and whatever vegetarian version you make of that sort of thing topped with potato, are types of Cottage Pie.

iona, RubyToogood, marty21 and 2 others like this.
  8. moose

The entire population of Preston is on the train to Euston as we speak, to shake its fist at your pie. :D

9. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

If you think thats bad, I just googled Butter Pie and one of the first pictures to come up is this:

[​IMG]

(from the New York Times)

Badgers, Rosemary Jest and PippinTook like this.
  10. moose

11. Maggot

Are butter pies easy to make? Would like to try. Are you allowed to make them outside of Lancashire?

Badgers likes this.
  12. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow daft apeth

I have bought two pies to partake in the piefest. Might have one tomorrow night.

Badgers, Maggot and PippinTook like this.
  13. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

What pies?

Badgers likes this.
  14. farmerbarleymow

You caused a diplomatic incident - albeit one between Lancashire and Cheshire. I think the War of the Roses started over a disagreement about the correct ingredients in a pie. :(

Badgers likes this.
  15. farmerbarleymow

Cheese & onion, and chicken. Both shortcrust as pies should be.

Badgers and marty21 like this.
  16. Maggot

At least it was about something important.

Badgers, Celyn and farmerbarleymow like this.
  17. moose

As long as you don't tell anyone, except the trusted friend who can be relied on to call an post-prandial ambulance.
    And also don't try any fancy Southern stuff, like garlic, although a pinch of nutmeg is permissible.

Badgers, Maggot and farmerbarleymow like this.
  18. farmerbarleymow

I've never had one. Make us one then - I can pick it up at the platform at Macc. :cool:

Badgers likes this.
  19. moose

I'm the worst pastry maker, or I would :D
    In other train news, you'll be gutted to hear the legendary S&M Supplies has closed down :(

Badgers and farmerbarleymow like this.
  20. farmerbarleymow

I'm gutted - what will I snigger at when my train passes through Macclesfield now? :(

Also - what will happen to the Cheshire kinky scene with the loss of a key supplier? Maybe friedaweed Siouxsie might be able to advise. :hmm:

Badgers likes this.
  21. farmerbarleymow

When is it closing moose? I'll pop down to get memorial photos

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Badgers likes this.
  22. moose

It's already gone. They had a big sign last week saying 'We still have coal', then it went altogether. :(

Badgers and farmerbarleymow like this.
  23. farmerbarleymow

Gutted. :(

(((Mr S&M now In kinky heaven)))

Badgers likes this.
  24. 8ball

8ball Most Ignoreable Poster 2016

I have regular awkward conversations with waiting staff about whether their pies are actually pie pies or lie pies.

Badgers, RubyToogood, marty21 and 2 others like this.
  25. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Fashionable objector with a uniform fetish

That must be upsetting for you, Mr Mow, you'll have to source your Spunk from somewhere else now :(

If you are a good boy I may invite you along to my next Masquerade ball, I'm always on the look out for a good maid.

26. Epona

That looks more like a sort of weird hybrid involving a butterscotch pie, which is an entirely different thing - but butterscotch pie shouldn't have that kind of hardened crust on top.

Badgers likes this.
  27. farmerbarleymow

The famous yellow signage on the shop is still there when I passed this morning - you need to get on to Historic England and ask - indeed demand - that it is Grade 1 listed.

https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/apply-for-listing

Badgers likes this.
  28. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Epona and Maggot like this.
  29. Maggot

30. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

You buy it ready made... justroll is vegan, no idea how they do it

Maggot likes this.