British Pie Week and general Pie related chat

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Maggot, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

#franklyfurious

2. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I used to live not too far away from it.
    They still have to cross the 602/62 border to reach the pie eaters :D

farmerbarleymow and Badgers like this.
  3. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagulls and wasps are brilliant!

I used to live near Piccadilly, and roughly speaking it was a stones throw away if you braved the red light district to walk there. The big shame was that they didn't have a factory outlet shop - the tight bastards. :mad:

Saul Goodman and Badgers like this.
  4. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

They aren't great pie eaters in Portugal, but they do do these dinky little empenades which are small pie type things . There's a 24 hr bakery that caters for restaurants hotels about a mile away which does a good chicken one. You get meat ones and minced prawn ones as well. They also do some rissoles with minced fish/chicken/ meat.
    When I get into discussions about what is English traditional food with the Portuguese they always frown when I describe steak and kidney puddings :(

5. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

I love the pies from Cossack Cuisine, who do food markets all over the midlands and north. They are made from brioche dough rather than pastry, and have lovely fillings and pretty decorations. My favourites are the roast vegetable or the mushroom stroganoff. They look something like this:

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 21.45.17.png

6. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

had a steak and onion earlier for tea, pretty good. Oven cooked, with beans. I think my duty to pie week has been done but I may selflessly go above and beyond it later in the week

PippinTook and RubyToogood like this.
  7. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    UrbaneFox, PippinTook, Maggot and 5 others like this.
  8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

#reallyraging

Badgers likes this.
  9. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

Badgers likes this.
  10. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

The 'Cornish' pasties you get nowadays originated in Devon. The Cornish used to eat pasties with both meat and fruit in them, because they're wrong uns, and yet now they've not only plagiarised and taken credit for the superior Devon version they've somehow got those EU shitcunts to enshrine this act of piracy in law.

I normally add in a bit here about how the EU says you're not allowed to make Stilton in Stilton but I can't be arsed.

Badgers likes this.
  11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

12. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

Badgers likes this.
  13. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

The thigh meat probably compliments the black pudding better. I have got a whole chicken so either works

14. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

Ok, but don't put the chicken in whole. You might not get the pastry over it.

15. Pickman's model

dunno, i've met some very critical thigh meat.

PippinTook, Badgers and Spymaster like this.
  16. Pickman's model

PippinTook and Badgers like this.
  17. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

I live two minutes from The Handmade Pie and Ale House :cool:

The pies are utterly amazing but even better than that, their company van has the reg plate P1EYO

Pie, yo.... :thumbs:

18. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

True dat

Badgers likes this.
  19. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

#thighpie

Pickman's model likes this.
  20. Pickman's model

pie ho silver :cool:

Badgers and twentythreedom like this.
  21. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Just had a delicious broccoli and mushroom pie made by my own fair hand.

22. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Have had 'pie' twice this week - although possibly only pie-ish - although pastry, top and bottom, has been involved.Sunday was chicken kemiettes with bric pastry while Monday's apple frangipane is being counted cos I did pastry strips on top of the almond sponge. Cheese and leek pie planned for later in week. Or possibly rabbit.

23. 8ball

8ball Up to something

So long as it wasn't one of those casseroles trying to sneak into the pie party wearing a pastry hat. :mad:

24. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

Recipe please!!!! :D

(I can do mushrooms, broccoli, and pastry no worries, but often what makes things excellent is the sauce so I need details :D )

Badgers and PippinTook like this.
  25. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

Comb-over pie

26. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

I made a load of chicken curry on the weekend. And ended up not eating it.... Thinking of making a chicken curry pie later. :D

Badgers, 8ball and Spymaster like this.
  27. Maggot

Its very simple. I don't know what quantities, but I am sure you're a good enough cook to work it it out.

After frying onions, garlic, mushrooms and broccoli in butter, then add some plain flour (I used a heaped tablespoon, but it depends on the size of the pie) stir it in so it absorbs the butter. Then add enough hot vegetable stock to cover the veggies and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add some cream and turn off the heat.

Epona, PippinTook and Badgers like this.
  28. 8ball

8ball Up to something

That sounds really nice. Not sure I've ever had an entirely veggie pie, and have never made a pie in my life, so I'll have to just hope I randomly end up in a pub that does one. :)

29. Maggot

Or you could chose to go to one: Served Hot – Pieminister

Badgers likes this.
  30. 8ball

8ball Up to something

I'm down for an outing to Pieminister in a couple of weeks as it happens (there is a mushroom and asparagus pie there, which looks pretty close).

I'm likely to cave and go for the Mexicow, or something with chilli in it, though. :oops:

Badgers likes this.