British IS schoolgirl 'wants to return home'

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by hipipol, Feb 14, 2019.

1. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

IS schoolgirl 'wants to return to UK'
    It seems she has no regrets merely wants her child born in the UK
    Tho not a Daily Fail reader, I find it well difficult to argue for charitable treatment in her case
    Opinions?

2. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

I don't know all the specifics of her case, but her unborn kid will be legally British and has the right to grow up in the UK, even if it ends up not being in her care.

muscovyduck and Nigel like this.
  3. editor

editor Forked with electrons

I guess she has the legal right to come back to the UK but its hard to muster any sympathy for her given the choices she made.

kazza007, A380 and likesfish like this.
  4. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Maybe she has seen the error of her ways. If allowed back, it will help show, amongst other things, how compassionate we can be. Would Is allow her back or will they detain her or murder her?

Badgers and gentlegreen like this.
  5. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

No airline is going to let her fly when she's nine months pregnant - maybe they could bring her back on a military child, which would be the compassionate thing to do for the sake of the baby, though of course there's no way they would ever let her keep it.

6. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

That wasn't the impression I got from reading the article.

oryx, T & P, imposs1904 and 8 others like this.
  7. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

She went out there at the age of fifteen, is only nineteen now. I would be inclined to treat her compassionately based on her making poor decisions as a kid, something we have all done.

Her lack of regret only shows her naivety.

Single motherhood as a teenager in Bethnal Green isn't going to be a bed of roses.

8. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I thought this thread was about the UK cancelling article 50

Manter, yield and gentlegreen like this.
  9. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Probably isn't going to help her case that she apparently waited until about 24 hours before the fall of the last ISIS stronghold to throw herself on the mercy of British authorities.

editor, A380 and likesfish like this.
  10. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

She was just a vulnerable kid when she went over there and isn't much more than that now. She will have been subjected to a lot of propaganda etc so it's no surprise that she is yet ready or able to admit what she did is fucked. I would say let her back and offer therapy and support so she can heal and her baby can have a chance at the life it deserves.

11. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

The article doesn't say she wants her child born in the UK, merely that she wants to return for the child's benefit. She has already had two children who died in infancy.

She's a young woman who did something very stupid at the age of 15. She probably hasn't yet come to terms with that yet, and she and her child will need plenty of support to sort their lives out.

As far as I am aware, she is still a British citizen, but whatever her legal status, I really can't see why compassion shouldn't be extended to her.

12. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

She is still with IS isn't she? So she is hardly going to start criticising IS...while still in their presence.....this may be her only way out of the mess she is in.
    Once back in the UK she and her baby will be relatively safe.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  13. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

So, who wants to sit next to her on the tube?

14. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Oh come on. Not every young mum, not every Muslim, not every person who has been to a Muslim country or Syria is a terrorist :facepalm:

15. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

Um, have you read the story?

D'wards, Wookey, Edie and 12 others like this.
  16. Smokeandsteam

Hearty clickbait fare.

Get tons of people piling in saying ‘fuck her’ ‘she’s made her bed’ etc, and then liberals who normally don’t like nationhood and borders piling in to assert her rights due to her nationality. Bingo.

Dogsauce, The39thStep, salem and 7 others like this.
  17. hash tag

hash tag never too old

I have read one take on it. No where does it infer that she was directly involved in terrorism nor does it infer she wants to carry out a terrorist act...but I have just finished a night shift and am tired, so I may have missed that bit.

18. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

People who travel thousands of miles to join IS, who walk past bins full of the severed heads of 'enemys of Islam' without a flicker - do you fancy sitting next to them on the tube?

Have you actually read the interview she's given, or did you stop thinking when you got to 'schoolgirl'?

Edie, Nigel, Spymaster and 7 others like this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag never too old

What has she done wrong?

20. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

Happily joined daesh and not regretted it.

Sasaferrato, A380, mojo pixy and 2 others like this.
  21. Smokeandsteam

To be fair she’s upset at ‘underground corruption’ undermining the caliphate so at least she’s a purist religious head the ball.

CNT36, imposs1904, NoXion and 2 others like this.
  22. Harry Smiles

Harry Smiles Well-Known Member

Why do people keep going on about the tube?

23. Smokeandsteam

I’m from Birmingham so didn’t realise she was talking about the TFL contract....

24. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Not saying she deserves no compassion whatsover, but she definitely seems more like a vile human being than a wayward teen who just made a few bad choices - living in Raqqa as the wife of a foreign fighter, she would surely have been aware of atrocities like the enslavement of Yazidi women and children, would not have been unusual for her to have had a slave in her home.

Spymaster, imposs1904, editor and 7 others like this.
  25. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

At best she will require a lot of surveillance her moral code is different to the UK norm.
    Warcrimes slavery fine if they are the Kuffar.

Can't see her keeping her kid because nobody first suicide vest Turing up at preschool.

A380 and Smokeandsteam like this.
  26. jusali

jusali Happy daze.....

It's a tough one, my compassionate side would say bring her home.
    However, as has been said there seems to be no shame and even a touch of pride that she joined daesh.
    She seems to want all her rights without accepting her responsibilities.
    personally I don't know what to think!

Edie, Nigel, gaijingirl and 3 others like this.
  27. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

It's not an easy call.

She's British. Her soon to be born child is an innocent. So bring her home, offer her compassion, offer a home for her child - possibly with her immediate family rather than her if that is needed to protect them - but also investigate, monitor and prosecute her if enough evidence can be found of crime.

muscovyduck, CNT36, Wookey and 5 others like this.
  28. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

In this age of deportations and hostile environments, I'd be wary of her citizenship being stripped etc. That said, I don't condone her choices as a 15 year old. But I don't wish ill on her.

29. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

This is what I keep coming back to, she didn't ask to come back for the benefit of either of her other children ... Can't help but wonder if she wouldn't be happy staying if ISIS wasn't about to be booted out of the last village. But then a lot of people in the camp she's in were part of ISIS until last week I doubt she's the only one trying to come 'home' .

kebabking and likesfish like this.
  30. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Even if she does want to come back she has to find her way to somewhere with UK consular assistance. She is in a refugee camp in a failed state, not sure any civil servant will be rushing out with some forms to fill in.

Manter, dylanredefined and kebabking like this.