British frigate trains its guns on Iranian boats to protect tanker.

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by cupid_stunt, Jul 11, 2019.

1. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

This is getting a bit dangerous, following the seizure of an Iranian oil tanker off Gibraltar last week, it appears the Iranians decided they would have a go at seizing one of ours.

Iranian boats 'tried to intercept British tanker'

2. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

If they can't get the Iranian oil out then this gets worse.

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

BZ Montrose...

4. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

The exact detail of what is considered international waters is going to be critical in how this plays out.

5. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

You have to be quite far out to sea to be in International Waters. All of the Persian Gulf, all of the Red Sea, and the whole Mediterranean are territorial water. This incident happened well inside the Gulf.

a_chap likes this.
  6. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

May I suggest we merge this thread with the Iran one?

7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

er tosh (at least as regards the mediterranean)

upload_2019-7-11_9-36-47.png
    p 35 of this https://www.unimc.it/maremap/it/tem...ionalWatersintheMediterraneanandBlackSeas.pdf

e2a: this article 'Iran's martime jurisdiction in the region is complex' (yes, i know it's auld) suggests the issue of maritime boundaries in the gulf is very complex

Bahnhof Strasse and kebabking like this.
  8. kebabking

Complex and controversial are the keywords for this one - countries, in what they perceive as their own interests, define territorial waters differently. Russia, for example, defines huge areas of the Barents Sea, White Sea and all the rest as being in Russian Territorial waters because they sit between Russian land territory, the UK and US - and particularly their submarines - define Russian Territorial waters on the much stricter 12 mile limit principle.

There's currently a bunfight between the Scottish government and the Irish government over the existence of a 12 mile limit around Rockwall - the Irish say it doesn't have one, so they can fish there, the SG says it does have one, so Irish boats can fuck off.

A380, farmerbarleymow, a_chap and 2 others like this.
  9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  10. likesfish

likesfish an angry pretend soldier shooting at seagulls

Royal Navy manage to do it without shooting an airliner down and the IRG also manage to avoid getting into a gunfight

A380 likes this.
  11. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

It's been a bloody long time since there was a world war. I hope I don't live to see another one.

likesfish and dessiato like this.
  12. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Rollin, rollin...

World war is no longer the term used.
    Market realignment is the new description.

A380, likesfish, TopCat and 10 others like this.
  13. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Iceland is involved too.

A380 likes this.
  14. kebabking

Is it?

I know there's a disagreement between Iceland, Ireland, Denmark (on behalf of the Faeroes) and the UK over the EEZ and mineral rights on the sea bed, but I think the current dispute over Rockall having territorial waters is just between Ireland and Scotland, with the UK government giving it a stiff ignoring...

15. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

Ireland has had fishing rights around Rockall for years. The current issue is pre-empting Brexit. Irish rights may well change after Brexit but current arrangenents should have been honoured up to Brexit.
    Iceland has claims to Rockall too.

Iceland reaffirms its claim to waters around Rockall

16. kebabking

17. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

Nope, late capitalism doesn't mean that history has ended. Much as neoliberals desperately pretend so.

18. Sprocket.

Did someone pay you to say that? :D

ferrelhadley likes this.
  19. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

Is that some poor attempt at a joke, or are you actually accusing me of being a shill?

20. Sprocket.

The former sorry if offended

NoXion likes this.
  21. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

might be a free suit and a goodie bag with cds of the ayatollahs greatest hits in it ........maybe

likesfish likes this.
  22. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

We have a working frigate?