1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Britain in focus" BBC4 tonight (Mon) at 9pm, 4 episodes.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by weltweit, Mar 6, 2017.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Britain in Focus: A Photographic History - BBC Four

"Britain in focus" BBC4 tonight at 9pm 4 episodes.

neonwilderness and craigxcraig like this.
  2. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I was a bit disappointed with the first episode. I hope the next ones are better.

3. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

I thought the same. I guess the first episode was all about the history of photography, so it might get more interesting as things progress. I did like the bit about the guy taking the candid shots at Great Yarmouth(?) though.

It looks like there's a season of programmes - BBC - Photography

4. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Yeah - loads to look forward to. This one's a must see for me: BBC Arts - Altar-ed images: Peter Marlow on England's cathedrals - BBC Arts

5. weltweit

Just watching episode 2 on iPlayer now.

6. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

BBC Arts have just posted a link to this page of John Bulmer's photos on twitter.
    Great photographs.

blossie33 and weltweit like this.
  7. weltweit

Interesting stuff, and good links to more at the bottom.

8. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Food please.

They are fabulous. I'll shamefully admit to not even recognising the name, but the fact most are from the mid 60's makes them even more incredible. I wonder how the photographs were received generally back then - it must have been a very different approach to the accepted norm of the time.

9. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Absolutely!
    Love them - thanks for the link.

10. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Food please.

I'm going to download the John Bulmer interview for later.

Interesting on the link posted to how he talks about the new use of colour in photojournalism. Something I hadn't considered even though they obviously reflect a new approach/style for the time. A very obvious influence on Simon Norfolk also. When I first saw Simon Norfolk's Afghanistan shots they looked like nothing I had seen before, yet familiar in style. Now I see why.

Both Bulmer and Norfolk show a much larger picture by using the environment to help complete the story for the viewer. Not in every example - sometimes better to crop and focus on a person rather than a scene in general, I much prefer the 'bigger picture' approach with the landscape/environment given as much importance as the subject.

If I was still into collecting photography books John Bulmer's would be top of my list.

Thanks for posting the link. Could well have passed me by otherwise, and I am thoroughly enjoying his work.

dweller likes this.