Bristol Post apologises for 'Faces of Evil' front page 21 years ago

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by strung out, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

You don't seem to know what aggressive means.

Mation likes this.
  2. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

aggressive
    əˈɡrɛsɪv/
    adjective
    1. ready or likely to attack or confront; characterized by or resulting from aggression.

TopCat and Chemical needs like this.
  3. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I'm familiar with this perspective. But it's not entirely uncontroversial. And it's not so much a definition of the word "racism" but an analysis of racism in our culture.

Perhaps more telling is that it's not entirely in agreement with your previous statement. This is saying that you can't be racist against white people, while your original statement said that black people can't be racist.

The two statements are very different, and contraversial for different reasons. Anyhow... Thread derail.... newspapers ..

likesfish likes this.
  4. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

bint?? bint?? wtaf, you must know that's not going to fly here you prick

e2a - do you even fucking know how wiki works idiot?

5. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Oh, I reckon the "random bint" bit was just there deliberately for reaction.

6. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

hmm.jpg

equationgirl likes this.
  7. Rutita1

Amazing...you don't seem to realise that Wikipedia is compiled by randoms on the net, bints and otherwise. Pathetic.

equationgirl, Mation and kalidarkone like this.
  8. Rutita1

So you agree you don't know for yourself and need to consult a dictionary.

9. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

The people who liked your post is very telling.
    But how about

ddraig likes this.
  10. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

Is the idea just that black people cannot be racist towards white people?
    Or that no race could be racist toward white people?

And could black people be racist towards any non-white race?

Is there an agreed standard of a relative social or political power differential that is necessary for racism to exist?

11. 8ball

If there are no characteristics common to a particular group, then they cannot be considered members of that group.
    That's just part of the definition of "group".

It is the characteristics that are contested.

edit: and how they are attributed

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  12. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

fill ya boots https://www.dailydot.com/via/reverse-racism-doesnt-exist/

Mation likes this.
  13. 8ball

14. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

pardon?
    google some more for yourself then, til you find a satisfactory (for you) answer

15. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

I hate racism. Don't care who the perps are. There's no justification for it.

Chemical needs likes this.
  16. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

Except anyone can edit it and most entries are till they reach some sort of state where the majority agree so theres that also every dictionary definition is the same.
    You definition is used by people who usually want to excuse horrible behaviour by people of colour who would be screaming the roof down if white people did it.

17. Rutita1

You what? My definition? What the hell are you babbling on about now?

ddraig, kalidarkone and Mation like this.
  18. Mation

Mation real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold

Excellent International Women's Day post :thumbs:

My previous statement? I guess it must be difficult for you to tell us apart.

Black people can't be racist. We have no systemic power of oppression over any other race. White people are a subset of the people over whom we do not have this power. I hope this isn't difficult for you to follow.

Can you see any sort of potential conflict between racism as defined by the people with oppressive power and by those oppressed? What sort of consensus do you think might be reached?

ddraig and kalidarkone like this.
  19. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. Of course black people can be racist.

TopCat, elbows, mojo pixy and 9 others like this.
  20. Mation

Oh! Ok, that's settled then!

But just so I'm clear, which race/s do black people oppress?

21. krtek a houby

I've witnessed racism from white/black/Asian people. I don't know who's oppressing who but the idea that only white people can be racist is nonsense.

elbows, mojo pixy, Lupa and 4 others like this.
  22. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert I had estates!

I think the tweet is a bit reductive. First of all there are many examples of racism toward people that are white - Roma, Irish etc. Secondly in forward thinking London I came across black people being racist towards Muslims - I think we can call that racist, right ? Plus this stuff all seems centred on first world demographics particularly. God it's no wonder people have a hard time understand people in the middle East have oppressors that are closer to home.

MadeInBedlam and likesfish like this.
  23. Mation

Who said that only white people can be racist?

24. krtek a houby

Ok, can you clarify then - everyone can be racist, apart from black people?

25. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert I had estates!

Clearly this didn't have anything to do with Transport London having progressive ideas on race.

26. Mation

I don't doubt you if you say you've seen black people displaying prejudice towards Muslims on grounds of them being Muslim. It's not racism though.

Roma aren't white. Irish people only recently considered so (but there will be people better qualified than me to talk about that).

27. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I've heard black people be racist about other black people (African/Afro-Carribean both ways), about Asian people and experienced it myself (white in a mixed-race relationship).

Just to be clear (and to state the bleeding obvious), black people are no better and no worse than anyone else.

Eta I know I'm going to get picked up on whether African/Afro-Carribean prejudice is racism -- maybe that's not the right term? -- but I've certainly heard a lot of prejudice and stereotyping expressed.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Celyn, 8ball and krtek a houby like this.
  28. Mation

Racism is based on a system of oppression, so any race with a system of oppressive power over another can be racist.

8ball likes this.
  29. krtek a houby

Like when Idi Amin expelled the Asians from Uganda, for example.

30. Mation

So you don't think there is any system that results, e.g. in black people being arrested disproportionately or given harsher sentences than white people for the same offence? Or that affects earnings, educational opportunity, housing etc? Or do you think there are any systems in which white people as a group are systematically at a disadvantage?

Obviously any individual person can be nasty to/discriminate against any other person on grounds of race, according to their own personal prejudice.

ddraig and 8ball like this.