Bring back one famous artist from the dead.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by moody, Feb 10, 2018.

1. dessiato

dessiato Lost in paradise

What about Bowie? He might be interesting, but I think he might have achieved all he was going to in terms of his style and progression.

2. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

Michael Jackson

3. S☼I

S☼I it's my room get out

Can I go back and kill Nickleback before they made any records?

Humirax, Pickman's model and spitfire like this.
  4. PippinTook

Tupac

Bob Marley..
    (I'm not sticking to 30 years...if John Lennon gets a pass)

5. dessiato

dessiato Lost in paradise

If time is no longer a restriction then what about people like Buddy Holly?

PippinTook likes this.
  6. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Freddie mercury would be fucking cool

Ax^, spitfire, moody and 1 other person like this.
  7. PippinTook

Oh yes.. :thumbs:

spitfire likes this.
  8. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

On reading the thread title I thought, ah, J.M.W.Turner, surely?

Then I read the thread and went oh no not this.

So GG Allin, for shits and giggles. Literally.

PippinTook likes this.
  9. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

A caveman who was drawing on cave walls.

10. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

In the last 30 years then I vote Freddie Mercury too.

Over that then Elvis, just to see what he might have achieved in a Johnny Cash/Rik Rubin way

SpookyFrank and PippinTook like this.
  11. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I would love to hear how Jimi Hendrix's sound developed over a decent life span.

Humirax, Cheesypoof and mojo pixy like this.
  12. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

I wouldn't bring anyone back from the dead but I would clone Mick Hucknall and stage a pay-per-view Hucknall-on-Hucknall MMA deathmatch at Manchester arena.

13. xenon

xenon Sacred moche hat combat

Cliff Burton

spitfire likes this.
  14. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

adam yauch left a hole

SpookyFrank and spitfire like this.
  15. Voley

Voley Knees Up Mother Earth

I was thinking Ian Curtis but given that he made the decision to shuffle off this mortal coil himself, that probably wouldn't be such a good idea. Likewise Kurt. They might thank you for it but if they didn't you'd feel like a right tit. I'd love to know what Jimi Hendrix did next, too, and his death was an accident so I'll go for him. Basically rewrote the lead guitarists rulebook in his short life and was showing signs of going off into other areas/wanting to work with Miles Davis etc so that could've been incredible.

Humirax, Ax^, dessiato and 3 others like this.
  16. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Torsten Fenslau

From 88 to 93 he was one of the most innovative names in German dance music. He released under a number of aliases in a variety of styles – underground house, techno and trance as Abfhart, LDC and others; plus cheesy euro-dance, most famously as Culture Beat (Mr Vain!). Then, at the height of his success in 1993, he died in a car crash.

I’m curious where he’d have gone next. He might have gone down a cheesy euro-dance and rubbish trance path, or he might have gone down a more underground dance music path, or both, or, being the innovator he was, he might have made music that shifted some of the scenes he was involved with in directions they never went.

So, yeah, I’ll have him back please.

17. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Anyone mention Stanley Edwards?

18. Spandex

I'm trying to imagine Ian Curtis singing Loves Got The World In Motion while larking about with John Barnes and Keith Allen, but my brain can't quite compute it.

Humirax, mojo pixy and Voley like this.
  19. Spandex

Now I'm trying to imagine Elvis' '80s albums without the word 'inessential' being associated with them...

SpookyFrank and PippinTook like this.
  20. Voley

:D Yeah I think a few things might have panned out differently if he'd stuck around. We wouldn't have been burdened with Barney's shit lyrics and Dad dancing for a start.

Spandex likes this.
  21. Voley

Love's Got The World In Motion (But Will Tear Us Apart) ?

Humirax likes this.
  22. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

I think it would have to be someone who was cut off in their prime after a short career rather than someone whose best work was behind them - like Iennon and presley.
    So agree with shouts for Amy Winehouse, Bob Marley, Hendrix.
    Id like to add Malcolm Owen - singer in the Ruts. They were a great band, rooted in punk but clearly full of musical invention and potential who wrote a string of belting tracks in a very short career. Who knows what they would have gone on to do if he hadn't croaked?

Voley and PippinTook like this.
  23. Sea Star

Sea Star ...

Do they come back with full brain function, or some level of zombification, or traumatised by being dead for so long? Also, I guess that they are cured of whatever killed them, otherwise it's gonna be a pretty short trip.

Humirax and nyxx like this.
  24. nyxx

nyxx Well-Known Member

Musicians, I’d second Freddie Mercury. Outside the 30 years mark, but, Janice Joplin left us way too early.

Beyond musicians - it’s such a shame Octavia Butler died young. I’d love to read the books she might have written. I’d choose her over any other artist I can think of right now.

PippinTook and SpookyFrank like this.
  25. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Jim Morrison. Just so I could see The Doors live once. Then he’d have to die again (immediately after) so as to not ruin his legacy by becoming crap or turning into a massive embarrassment (such as doing an advert for butter, yes I’m talking about you Mr Rotten).

Humirax likes this.
  26. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

I'm still hopefully the real Billy Corgan will return alive and well and replace the bad Billy Corgan impersonator who took his place c.2001.

27. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

These are important questions - also, are they going to eventually die again after they're brought back, or will they be returning as immortals? Could all go very badly wrong if an undead and unkillable Jimi Hendrix decides the world has to hear the 50 prog-rock albums he was working on during his decades in the netherworld...

Sea Star likes this.
  28. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

Jimmy Fernandez, bassist in the God Machine, who died in his 20s of a brain haemorrhage. 'Famous' is pushing it though. They only made two albums, both probably in my top 10 of all time. Biggest sound of any three-piece band I know of. They should have been bigger than Nirvana.

29. RainbowTown

RainbowTown Well-Known Member

Me too. I'd hazard a guess and say he may've become far more politically and socially activated during the 80's (muscially) and then by the mid 90's settled into a more reclusive role, releasing records only periodically. But, yes, it would've been interesting to see how his life and career went fro 1980 onwards.

Oh boy, what a loss to muisc he was. Arguably on a par with Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran in terms of age and potential. His lyric writing is absolutely incredible, I think. Quite unlike anyone else of his generation. Deep, tortuous, complex and poetic, but shot through with beauty and strangeness too. And all this by the time he was 23.

Hendrix was so far ahead of the curve that for me he still sounds like the future. As a guitar GIANT, there's no one to touch him and never will be. Everyone since has been trying to play catch up.

I'd have him back in a nano-flash, no question about that, but at least he checked out with a masterpiece ( *Blackstar* ) and that's some consolation.

If we're talking the past 30 years, then for me it has to be Prince, George Michael and Jaco Pastorius, one of THE greatest bass players ever. But dead at 35.

weltweit and dessiato like this.
  30. Sea Star

Sea Star ...

I saw them live, supporting the Jesus and Mary chain, and on the back of that bought every record by them I could get my hands. Really thought they were going to be huge too.