Brighton's West Pier is lost forever

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by T & P, Jun 23, 2004.

1. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

2. porshiebo

porshiebo almost never comes on u75

3. internetstalker

internetstalker Get naked!

'Tis truly a sad day!!!

When I lived in Brighton the west pier was only a minute away from my flat!!

It shall be sorely missed!! :( :(

4. Isambard

Isambard Dab of Rioja, Kitten? :D

Not "senseless" if you happen to have (say) a competing attraction not a
    million miles away. :(

5. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

Fuck :( :( :(

6. Stobart Stopper

Stobart Stopper Well-Known Member

I suppose it was inevitable, still a shame though.

7. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

Its just been waiting on a decent storm to finish it off. Not been to the beach since tuesday because of the weather so havent seen it yet.

8. cornflake

cornflake New Member

just been to have a quick look at it - what a mess! truly sad.
    i wish english heritage would pull it's finger out and do something to stop the ballroom (what's left of it) collapsing before the winter - they keep harping on about their various plans for it but seem quite content to sit back and watch it fall into the sea.
    saying that, the skeletal structure does look really pretty with the sun sinking behind it.
    did anyone hear the story about how the fire started on the west pier? apparently a speedboat pulled up next to it in the early hours one morning and one of the crew fired a flare into the pier. is this true??? and did the offending speedboat have BRIGHTON PIER painted on the side of it?
    just a rumour, like.

9. miniGMgoit

miniGMgoit OverWeightUnderAchiever

Wow 2 years ago me and some friends used to go and sit on the end of it and get disgustingly drunk. :(
    RIP west pier :( :(

10. alco

alco New Member

Haven't seen it (or to be more precise, haven't looked at the space it used to occupy) yet. It's been a really really stormy day and trees have fallen here, so it's not that big a surprise it fell over. :(

11. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Well at least that finally scuppers any ideas about rebuilding it. Time to move on and start something new. And perhaps start a campaign to fuck over the N**** B******s.

12. Cloo

Cloo Surfeit of lampreys

It was inevitable and cool as the wreck was, it couldn't have stood forever. Not did a lot of the residents want it to. I don't think rebuilding was ever that viable a plan and I don't think it had that great support from the residents - my grandparents have a flat there and they wanted the wreck cleared asap rather than left there or redeveloped.

Still, seeing its remains appear out of morning fog on Brighton beach is an image that will always stick with me. RIP.

13. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

But it's still there! I think it will remain there for a long time yet. Looks even better as a skeleton IMO.

14. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

15. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Anyone know why the National Lottery did not do anything about it?

16. subversplat

subversplat writer of wrongs

It makes a good looking wreck though. Nice contrast to the candyfloss flashing lightey plastic wank a few hundred yards east.

17. Agent Sparrow

Agent Sparrow mellow kitty

Ditto. I've always thought it looked really cool in a skeletal kind of way.

18. HarrisonSlade

HarrisonSlade say NO to the vaccine

Was it arson? I thought it was just accidents.

19. MysteryGuest

MysteryGuest mahdollisesti

Christ this is unutterably fucking annoying. I've been hearing stuff about how they should be rebuilding the pier "soon" since it was first shut back in 1974. :rolleyes:

But also :(

I can actually remember being on it when it was open...

20. Agent Sparrow

Agent Sparrow mellow kitty

There was certainly one incident of arson as my parents live down there and my mum kept the copy of the local paper printed the day after to show me. I can't really remember any details though.

21. MysteryGuest

MysteryGuest mahdollisesti

Somebody was supposedly seen throwing an object from a black speedboat onto the pier shortly before it caught fire the first time. Who knows...

22. Uralian

Uralian New Member

It was probably people connected with the other pier, there were plants to restore the west pier and the (east?) pier people were afraid it would detract from their business.

23. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

The Noble Brothers have been a popular target for blame amongst Brighton's saloon bar theorists.

Good riddance to it - let's stop wallowing in the past and build something new. Heavens the amount of fuss about that pleasant but unremarkable building...

24. HarrisonSlade

HarrisonSlade say NO to the vaccine

I find it disgraceful that any one person can own a pier. Piers are landmarks and should be owned by the people.

*rolls up sleeves to get ready for power and confiscate Brightons remaining Pier*

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

26. DJ Squelch

DJ Squelch King Of Insides

nice pics ed, have you seen the New Brighton Rck film yet? Fom the clips I've seen they've done a digital re-creation of it. I'm quite looking forward to seeing it.

I only found out recently that there was a third Brighton pier that existed before the Palace Pier was built -

The Royal Suspension Chain Pier built in 1823 slighty to the east of where the Palace Pier stands, it was due to be demolished as part of the deal for the Palace Pier to be built but was destroyed by storm in 1896 before they had achance to dismantle it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more pics at- http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/DSphotosea6F2.htm

27. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

I can remember the day it burnt down. Sat on the beach in my lunch break watching it.
    Heres a pic i took of it the winter before last.
    [​IMG]

5t3IIa likes this.
  28. vauxhallmum

vauxhallmum had to scrap the cheap car

All my family holidays were in Brighton. I played on the pier alot :) They had a great set of 'What the butler saw' machines at the end.

Badgers likes this.
  29. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

In 1980 I lived in Brighton and was a member of the West Pier Preservation Society.
    I was taken on to it in it's derelict state. Just fantastic, but I didn't have my camera with me unfortunately.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus