Brian Bows Out of Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Brian, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Peter Matisse

Peter Matisse Queering the Mail

Thanks for your kind words IntoStella but I was just one of the people who kept lambeth4paddick running. Pooka, ATS, and the redoubtable Mrs M, all did just as much as I, and put just as much as I did into the campaign.

Before that Hatboy, The Green Party, and the Big Issue organised a petition of 5,000 signatures, and Mrs M was involved in that also. Not to mention all the help we had from the people on this site.

Most of all the thing that kept us all going was the support we had from people in Lambeth. I have lived here for many years and I think the people in Lambeth are some of the finest in the world.

From all of us involved in the campaign a big thank you.:)

2. Bond

Bond Coin-Operated Boy

Yep the best Commander Lambeth had.

Peter Matisse, Pooka, ATS, Hatboy and Mrs M you all did a great job with the campaigning and everything else.

3. Peter Matisse

I have been reading on this thread some people expressing views that seem to be saying that Brian Paddick should have expected what happened to him, because he pushed the envelope.

That type of view is so outrageous it makes me bloody angry! Brian put his neck on the block to make the streets safer for all of us who live and work in Lambeth. And is the price he had to pay for that, namely having his private life dragged through the tabloids, having lies told about him, having other homophobic police officers working against him, losing the job he loved and always wanted, justified! Not to mention the effect this has had on him, his family and his friends!

Do some of you idiots not realise this is the 21st Century! We need inovative and courageous people to provide radical solutions to the problems that we have today. We need politians with guts and foresight unafraid of the gutter press. But most of all we need ordinary people to understand that they can make a difference. It is apathy that allows so much to go unchallenged!

Rubbish like the Daily Mail only exists because we continue to buy it, second rate people only stay in power, and continue to effect out lives, because we cannot be bothered to do any thing about it.

When somebody like Brian Paddick comes along you should cheer! The forces that were ranged against him are exactly the forces that should be dismantled. Those who only want a narrow, repressed, patrician and patronising agenda, in which ordinary people are treated with contempt.

Brian is unafraid to communicate with people using all the ways that people today communicate, including the internet, and why not! Not all police officers are like Brian, and not all police officers are racist, sexist, homophobic thugs. It is only the intellectually moribund that cannot move out of their bunkers of dogma.

Well they may have got away with that a hundred years ago but not today.

4. exosculate

exosculate a stagger with a beat

Blimey - this has become a heated thread (and the other thread too).

I would like to add my thoughts, though Im not from Brixton, im not sure whether that matters though but forgive me if it does.

The beginning of this thread did appear like a major ass-kissing festival. I am always slightly wary of such things. If i see a group of people wandering in one direction I have a gut feeling to walk the opposite way anyhow.

Perhaps Icepick has taken the advice of Nietzsche

" To make the individual uncomfortable, that is my task"

Isn't it important for some people to question what they percieve as a herd like approach in a given situation?

I have to say I agree with Icepick that the police fulfill a dual role within society. But perhaps I am more pragmatic. I realise that we are stuck at present with the system we have got. By all accounts this Brian bloke does seem a better choice to have lead the police in Brixton than any other senior police officer I have ever heard of. I also quite like Tony Benn but it did not encourage me to like the House of Commons. Of course individuals have significance but institutions do even more so im my view. Individuals can help change institutions but is the institution itself that must change in order to achieve progress. I think Brians failure in this respect speaks volumes for why the institutional aspect to police culture is so fundamental.

In essence Icepick I find myself in agreement with you, although I think you really do downplay the importance of the individual to ram home your point. :)

5. hatboy

hatboy Banned Banned

There's quite afew people here saying they liked the man and his ideas but not the institution. I thought that was what I was saying all along.

6. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

Brian - good luck with your next job and as they say in Japan, gambatte kudasai.

Apologies for the multiple posts - the hazard of trying to "chat" when you're the only one online. Where are all the other nightcrawlers?

Two words to you: Simon Foy

And if you don't know what I'm talking about you also don't know what you're talking about, which you patently don't.

7. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

So how many would that be then icepick? Do you actually know anything about the Lambeth police or are you just talking 'generally'? Do you know about what the local approach to crack is?

edit: also could someone post a link to info that tells us about these three deaths in police custody. Who, when, where and how? Specifically re. the date Brian Paddick was appointed and was 'suspended'.

hehehehe you've been reading the Green Party manifesto. Sure you're not an undercover greenie?:D :p ;)

8. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

Not when the whole discussion is about policing in Lambeth. Obviously if the discussion was about whether the teletubbies was any good then it would be disturbing.

9. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

What a load of shit!

Is this another wonderful WOMBLES message of seasonal goodwill to all, along with the forthcoming 'proletarian shoplifting' on Oxford Street on 21st December?:( And is this the mad, bad & dangerous to know elia or the nice, intelligent one? (The voices! The voices!);)

And what about the Button Factory? And where the hell is your current Womble HQ radical diary anyway?

Do you really want to know the secret why the Green Party Drugs Group et al have been left alone? Its because they aren't actually doing anything to hurt anyone or inciting people to smash up property or attack the police. The Lambeth Green Party has been in existence long before Brian Paddick came on the scene (well this time round - I don't know about 1980).

10. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

Unless things have changed since I lived there last, The Brixton Forum is run by Jo Negrini. Or do you mean the Lambeth Police Consultative Group? But this is the nearest online equivalent.

You can't tell what someone's race/ethnicity/nationality is from their sig surely? A lot of kids get internet access from school. And you said first that the yuppies are moving in then later that there is 'white flight' - make up your mind. Lambeth is a big place - Brian Paddick was Borough Commander of *Lambeth* stretching all the way from Waterloo to Streatham South and encompasses both some really grim estates and some really posh areas also, sometimes side by side. Hey we've even got MI5!

11. Beach Bum

Beach Bum New Member

Peter, you're so hot when you're angry. I think I need a cold shower.

You go, girl!!!:p

12. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Indeed.

But it seems that some people are so weighed down with dogma and class hate that they can't separate the two or even acknowledge an individual for his individual efforts to improve things for the community.

But I'm getting more than a little fed up with all these pathetic anonymous snipes that my support of Paddick's initiatives in Lambeth add up to me being some sort of 'cop lover'.

I'll remind posters that I've always taken every opportunity to heavily criticise the police when they've been out of order (see: endless reports on this site, my rant on the BBC at Mayday 2001 etc)

For fuck's sake, I even started an entire campaign single-handed when I saw how certain police were abusing their powers (see: Football Fans Against the Criminal Justice Act )

But maybe it's easier to trot out personal insults, blatant lies and preach simplistic hate than to actually deal with the issues and come up with viable, pragmatic alternatives that stand the remotest chance of making a real difference.

I'll take a positive 'do-er' like Paddick over a negative, lazy dreamer any day.

Talk is cheap, you see....

13. LDR

LDR kiwitanga

After all the good communciation that Brian did, what was actually achieved? :confused:

TopCat likes this.
  14. freethepeeps

freethepeeps Banned Banned

Indeed, on U75 its free!

:)

15. Vixiha

Vixiha Naughty Nurse

Some people enjoy defaming public figures without regard of truth or reason; it makes them feel bigger, I guess.

I wonder if they're aware of the term 'libel'.

16. icepick

icepick Well-Known Member

Re: What a load of shit!

Oh yes the lovely Green Party. Never done anything to hurt anyone.

Except of course in every country where they've got into power, when they've entusiastically backed the war on Afghanistan and loads of other crap. Hmmm some pattern seems to be emerging...

And is all that stuff really in their manifesto? Cos not only do we need another ticket machine but they've gotta fix the fucking 7-day ticket one which has been broken for days :mad:

And ed I wonder if oyu could point out the "dogma" and "class hatred" I'm preaching here. As I recall I haven't made many political points, just amusement at the habitual Brian £90k-a-year arse-licking sessions which occur every time his name is mentioned!

And oooh vixiha good point! You should get a talk show or something :rolleyes:

17. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

18. Friz

Friz New Member

There seems to be an attitude of mind from some people who contribute to this thread that unless you live in Brixton you cannot possibly understand the truth of Paddick's activities and the problems that beset Lambeth. Silly. The inner city areas of French cities have exactly the same problems but have utterly different methods of trying to solve them from Brians credo.
    I thought the point of constructive debate was to advance understanding or am I being a utopian troll, whatever that is!

19. pooka

pooka Can't Re Member

Isn't it in France that the gendarmerie are going to have their uniforms redesigned (out goes the De Gaulle headgear) and to be taught some common courtesy by expensive consultants?

20. exosculate

Do I sense a bit of geographic rivalry here. :)

21. GaryJenkins

GaryJenkins totally banned Banned

Isn't it MI6 who live in the Egyptian-style building on the south side of Vauxhall Bridge? I think that MI5 are across in Westminster in Thames House, on the north side of Lambeth Bridge.

22. dormouse

dormouse back

Not exactly but surely those who see the results of his policy - or his removal - directly every day when they walk to or from the tube station or whatever have a rather more meaningful input to the debate than the rest of us? I mean most of us can pop in to the website when we feel like it and have a nice cosy discussion on the pros and cons of this policy or that, but living with the results is a different matter. This is the real world and people in Brixton live in it and they wanted Brian back. Why? Because he made life better for them. Which was his job and his ambition.

(Sorry for any incoherence - it's Christmas. You should have seen this before I checked the spelling!)

23. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Not quite true if you're the owner :(

And if the moderator's started charging for their time here, there'd be a handsome price to pay!

24. Brian

Brian Local friendly ex-cop

'Hardtalk' News 24 4:30am and 10:30pm tomorrow, Friday 12th.

Overseas viewers, BBC World TV 03:30, 08:30, 11:30, 15:30, 18:30 23:30 GMT Friday 12th. I have not seen it but I was not very happy with the way it went. It was an experience! All about Lambeth and the cannabis, my ex and losing my job. If you enjoy seeing someone suffer, this is for you!

25. exosculate

Free at the point of delivery......perhaps ? :)

26. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

not sure if this was aimed at me or not (probably others i hope) but just to reiterate my point on this which was that IMO Brian must have had an inkling of the flak he'd have to take for spearheading this initiative, and that being the case, I respect him all the more for not bottling out of it and following through with a what he believed was the right policy. We need many more people like brian who are prepared to make a stand despite the potential consequences

IntoStella
    er well it was like this you see... one fine mayday morning I was walking through parliament square when a bunch of no good hippy layabouts tickled me to the floor and used face paint to write reclaim the streets on my face. It being a sunny day I decided to stick around in the fresh air (for some reason the cars seemed to have vanished) and dance to some samba band, hang a few flower pots from trees / lamposts etc. later on I took a wander up to traf square (it being on the tourist trail etc.) and soon found myself trapped in by several rows of the dastardly masked up, padded, shield and weapon carrying anarchists (well i presume that's what they were, they seemed to match the tabloid description anyway). After a few hours stuck in traf square I got a bit bored and decided to partake in a game of sitting in front of these masked up anachists, and trying to persuade them of the fact that they really should just let people go coz it was bound to be illegal to keep thousands of us prisoner for hours on end for no reason - i presumed the police would be along shortly to arrest these anarchists and free us all. Anyway, it got to a point where they'd herded way too many people into far too small a space (me being an experienced event organiser I have a certain level of understanding of crowd control, overcrowding and the dangers of people getting trampled to death when the anarchists made periodic charges into the crowd). So I decided this was getting silly and I'd just sit there and not move any further - at which point 2 of the anarchists grabbed me and with assistance of 6 more anarchists (me being a wriggly little fucker), managed to wrestle me to the ground kneel on me for ages, fracture my arm, break my glasses and put me in quick cuffs. It was at this point that i realised my mistake - the anarchists who'd been illegally imprisoning us and periodically beating a few people were actually the police:eek: and to my surprise i found that the lovely fluffy people i'd been trapped with were actually the nasty vicious anarchist i'd been warned about;)

yeah, anyway to cut a long story slightly less long, i tried to rub the face paint off my face before the photo, only to find that it was uv resistant and all the rest of my face was properly sun burnt apart from the reclaim the streets bit which was bright white... so my police record has me with reclaim the streets emblazoned all over my face:D

<oh yeah Brian, how come it took 8 of your nice boys and girls to arrest little old me - you maybe need to revise your wriggle resistance training procedures;) Also if i managed an event is a way that enforced that amount of dangerous over crowding I'd be in court like a shot - did you lot learn nothing from hillsborough? - diversion over, back to the thread... i still think you're cool btw>

27. Peter Matisse

free spirit, no it was not aimed at you, I understood your point of view.:)

28. Peter Matisse

Brian re Hardtalk; tomorrow is Thursday 12th, your post says the programme goes out on Friday 12th.

It's also repeated on BBC2 on Saturday mornings at 9.10 am.

29. Friz

Friz New Member

Wow! do you really feel a difference now Brian has gone? Can one cop really make such a difference? I am not sure where fact and fantasy begin and end here. I have sought some truth in these dialogs but I'm beginning to suspect a hidden agenda in this fawing support of Brian. Yes, of course support the legalisation of drugs, it's common sense. Do not layer an issue disguised as support for some ambitious copper. It devalues the real point.

30. Brian

Brian Local friendly ex-cop

I told you it was a traumatic experience, I do not know what day it is anymore. :confused: It is tomorrow Thursday 12th! Thanks Peter. (I think I got confused by trying to work out what day it was in Australia...hope that's cleared that up!) :D